2002 Honda CR80 Big Wheel for $1950 out the door sound ok?

Slips

Jan 24, 2004
Seems like a good deal to me. Bike is superclean and looks like it has hardly been ridden. My son is 14 and it will be his first bike. This sound like a good deal and a good bike for him? We will trail ride some (nice and open 1500 acre place) before we even think of taking him to a track.

Ty :)

Slips

Jan 24, 2004
Oh, should have mentioned he is about 110 pounds and maybe 5,5" or so, but growing fast. Our family on my dads side always grows slow then shoots up to way tall (lol, well 5'10" or so)

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
It'll be tall for him for a while but yea - SUPER DEAL!!! Man will he have fun on that!! Is he skilled enough to ride a full blown MXer? Those bikes are great but FAST isnt the word for em! If this is his actual FIRST shot at riding maybe a "trainer bike" like a ttr or CRF (XR) would get him in the skill zone faster and safer (just dont wanna see him get hurt). If his skills are up to snuff - GO FOR IT!!

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
The price is good. But like Woodsy says, those bikes are sceamers. Plan on a full set of protective gear for the kid. Practice a lot of throttle control for the first while till he understands what it feels like when the bike hits the power band.

Slips

Jan 24, 2004
Thanks for the advise. I went ahead and put down on it. Will not pick it up for three more weeks. A bit scary cause it IS his very first bike. He is pretty quick and a bit athletic but not a dare-devil either. We will work on his techniques slowly ( off the track and on open spots / slow trails etc. ) Also he will be looking sharp in his full set of gear before opening day.

Ty again!

enduro rider

Oct 27, 2003
slips: you can lean down the slow jet and needle jet and it will lug around pretty go.
l have a 02 big wheel my nephew rode. he has M.D., never had any problem with it.
i didnt change the main jet. didnt want one of his buddys to jump on it and sieze it up

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Please keep in mind though that "jetting" is almost an art (actually, it IS an art to alot of us). The big difference between "art" on a drawing board and the "art" of jetting is that when you screw up on the board you throw away a 2 penny piece of paper, on a bike it could cost you $400 in topend parts!! My advice to this subject would be to do a little research BEFORE changing anything or ask - lots of folks at DRN have knowledge of this art!

Slips

Jan 24, 2004
Ty again. I am not planning on changing the jetting. If it gets done it will be by the guy at the shop. My son (Michael) read this thread last night and seems to get the picture.

He is usually pretty careful and reading this thread impressed on him the seriousness of the matter. The input is much appreciated.

Top Bottom