tri-mx'er

May 23, 2001
Hi all. I am moving the 2 boys up after a year on their PWs. I plan on putting my 9 year old on a KX65, and will put the 6 year old on a super mini. I was actually hoping to bypass the whole Polini KTM Cobra thing alltogether and go right to a KX 60, but he is definitely not ready for a clutch. I was kind of thinking the KTM 50 sx LC is too fast (as well as too expensive) and the Senior Adventure might be too slow, and then I discovered the Husky CR 50 senior. Costs the same as the Sr Adventure KTM, and apparently the power is right in the middle of the 2 KTMs. I believe it uses the moto-morini motor, and I have heard both good and bad about this.
I am wondering how this bike performs, and how the reliability is on it. I realize there is a bunch of wrenching to do on these little bikes. Is there a good shop manual available? What about parts? From what I have heard I should have a spare coil laying around for all of the above bikes. I am sure this bike is slower that the water cooled bikes, but I am wondering how it perfoms against the older KTM pro seniors. If it has power in this range it will be fine, as I will put him on the KX65 as soon as I feel he is ready, and move the older boy to a 85. This is another reason I am shying away from the water cooled 50. And the LC 50 (as well as the polinis and such ) cost more than the KX 65. Thats a lot of money for a 50.
Thanks in advance
Rich DaVico

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
tri-mx'er, my son has the 01 Husky Sr. And he rides at the house with one of his friends whose dad went with the 01 or 02 (:think ) KTM Sr.Both of them race, and both end up right behind one another at the finish line. And it's never the same result. And both me and his dad can tell you in a normal moto, (never had the temp outside get over 95 though) the Husky and the the KTM LC (on the straights) were neck and neck and neither one would gain or lose ground. And both kids are around the same skill level since they ride with each other all the time. Me and this boys dad hooked up after meeting at the race track because neither kid had a buddie to play ride with (and that's what it's all about anyway, having fun) and I can tell you when these two are racing both don't let up, because they've banged the bars and everything else that happens in racing. I don't have anything negative to say about the KTM (other than it's price, as does his dad) and I don't have anything to say about the Husky. Oh wait a minute. I had 2 magnetos go out within the first 3 months. But were replaced free of charge by the Local Husky dealer that same day:) (thanxs Husky of Lebanon out of Mo). Other than that, I have had no problems with the bike. The bike could have some suspension settings, but I guess that is why I got it for $1,900. But it does have the front disk. Oh yeah, one other grip is that I didn't notice (when I bought it) that it does'nt come stock with a rear mudflap ($15 I think) and that it doesn't come with a foot rear brake. Only hand levers. One bad thing is that there are no aftermarket copanies (that I've found) that offer aftermarket exhaust or anything. But I am happy with the way it runs. It definantly won't hang with Cobras or Polinis, not due to motor, but mainly suspension. And there is no good shop manual avaliable. But if you ask me or Mike (the KTMs dad) the Husky is the best bang for the buck. Granted, we don't get to involved. We don't go to Ponca City or big amateur races. But we do go to the qualifing races for such events and race every local series, and the Husky is very competative. I could see where a water cooled bike could be effective. But our races here are only 5 laps long, and the motos are 1-2 hours in between another. So it's not much of a problem. Hope this helps. If not, tell me and I'll try to answer what questions on the Husky you might have

raider

May 31, 2001
My son has been riding a 2001 Husky 50 Sr. since February of this year. We had the same ignition problem that was mentioned previously and it was also taken care of by the dealer. The only complaint I have is the solid mounted pipe has broken twice due to vibration. Fortunately, we have an excellent dealer here who has fixed the pipe both times for me at no charge.

As far as the performance goes, he is just now getting to where he rides it to its full potential. We had the foot brake installed (about $50) and by holding on the rear brake and winding the motor in the gate, he is able to get the holeshot on the KTM LC's and Cobras, but they outpower him in the long run. I'm going to try a smaller sprocket on the rear and see if that helps some, but the bottom line is the Husky has less horsepower.

For the money, overall, we have been extremely happy with the Husky and I would wholeheartedly recommend it.

tri-mx'er

May 23, 2001
Thanks for the replies, they were just what I was looking for. I bought the bike today, but I have to wait till I can get the time to go pick it up. Also bought my 9 year old a new KX-65. How come I never got Christmas presents like these? :think
Anyhow, my biggest concern was parts for the bike. From what I have heard, the coil problem has been solved...we shall see. But I have to order everything from the dealer.:( This is a real drag.
Does anyone know of a good repair manual for the bike, at least the moto morini motor? And I understand I need some special tools to work on the thing. Any ideas about this?
Thanks,
tri-mx-er

Top Bottom