Workman

Oct 26, 2003
Picked up a 2002 KDX 200 last weekend. The bike was super clean. Its bone stock and doesn't seem to be abused. I was told it has about 500 miles on it. I started it and have ridden it for a short time and it runs great. However, when it is idling, the engine chatters as if the piston knocking. It did not sound right to me. I have had a 125 two stroke in the past and it did not make this noise, but I know the KDX has a slightly different engine design from a motocrosser. I plan on pulling the top end over the winter just to be safe, but I was just wondering if this was a characteristic of the KDX or if it is a problem. I had a friend who races and he told me of a guy who raced a KX500 that always rattled and knocked as if it was going to explode, but instead it always ran great with no problems. So I was just wondering. Any help would be appreciated.

alleycat

Sep 25, 2002
The kips valve on the kdx is pretty noisy. The 95 and newer bikes are a bit noisier than the older ones. When you change the trany oil put in a full quart. As far as what type to use I run log cabin maple syrup, NOT. LOL. I run good old motor oil. It works well for me. ATF and gear oil are also pretty popular choices.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Yes, its the KIPS because if you lean to one side(the left) w/o a helmet on the rattling is louder. Don't try this while your moving because the chain is to noisy and you might run into a tree while your not looking where your going w/o a helmet on. Ouch. Some say its the tranny and if you put thicker oil in it reduces the noise but it doesn't bother me. My dads '02 220 and my '96 200 both do it so they all must do it(except before the power valve was invented).

jruggery

Apr 6, 2003
When I first got my '02 200, I was disturbed by the same noise. I now have
close to 1,000 problem-free miles on it, and it no longer bothers me. It is
clearly due to the design of the bike and not a symptom of a larger problem.

Also, I would recommend simply adding transmission oil to the top of the sight
window rather than just dumping a pre-determined amount in it. Adding too
much oil can damage your engine. After an oil change, the level in the window
will drop a bit after the bike cools and sits overnight, top it off to the top
of the window and you're set.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
My 2002 KDX200 makes the same noises. It has since it was brand new. If it didn't, I'd start to worry! It is a characteristic of the KDX engine.
Jeff Fredette the KDX man says to dump in a full quart. I use 10w-30. Shifts are butter smooth. The manual say's 10w-40 so you can't go wrong with that.

palmer69

~SPONSOR~
Jan 1, 2003
Don't worry about the noise. Definitely a characteristic of the KDX and maybe other Kawis. When you open the throttle, the rattling magically disappears and you are transported to the Wonderful World Of KDX!

JPeterson

Nov 15, 2003
Yea, I feel better now too. I went from a 86 KDX to a 98 KDX and was wondering about that rod knock like noise. Was hoping it was normal but did'nt want to look stupid (more than usual) by asking my hard core KDX friends in the woods.

cadjocky

Apr 4, 2003
My 1998 is a Klacker too ... when I watch videos of me and my friends riding I hear ying da ding (KTM) zeeeeng ga ding (YZ) dub dub dub (DRZ) then of course Klackity Klick (KDX). It'd be embarrasing if I weren't usually in front of those guys!

Top Bottom