vick

Oct 22, 2009
2002 kdx220....I have added an FMF Desert Pipe and FMF Type 296 Silencer a 36mm Keihin Carb. and Boysen Power Reeds. I am in Central Indiana. I plan on ridding fields, trails and some woods.... Can someone give me a good place to start on my jetting. I have read thru the forum but I would appreciate, if someone has time, some direct feedback on this.... Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

dansavage

Jul 14, 2008
I have a similar set-up on my KDX220, the only exception being a 35 mm carb instead of the 36mm carb.

If it were me, I'd start with a 155 main jet. I have the CEL needle jet in the 2nd clip position from the top and a 35 pilot. I think when I had the stock needle jet in, I ran it with the 2nd clip position from the top and either the 40 or 42 pilot. In both of these applications, I purchased a handful of plugs and did plug chops as described elsewhere within this website. I recommend that you do the same regardless of what everyone might tell you, could save you some bucks!

Does your bike have the stock or aftermarket piston in it? If it is stock, I would recommend changing that out and cleaning the kips valves while you have it open. Many have said that the stock pistons for the 220's had skirts that were prone to crack and cause serious damage to the bottom end. I think I spent $125 on a piston, rings, and bearing. I took it down over a weekend and got it back together pretty quickly - not a bad job at all. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!

Top Bottom