Capt~Hook

May 22, 2004
I own a 2002 Ktm 250SX bone stock(except for Renthal FAT bars) and it halls butt and runs PERFECT. I stay on top of the maintenence and always change my jetting when I ride a different track. I just came in to some money and want to make this bike faster and smoother. What are the best modifications to do to the motor ? The suspension ? handling ? tansmission ? I stopped riding for a year, I used to ride at tracks only, Las Vegas Raceway, Mesquite raceway, Cedar city, Sandy Valley, Perris and Starwest--and for the last 3months I have been getting back into it again riding tracks only. Anyone have some good ideas ?

SamMiDD

May 20, 2004
Well making the bike smoother is'nt the easiet thing to do really although one aftermarket part that might help this is a ICAT there meant to be good on KTM's they smooth the power out and give it a little more hp....unless it's a Rm125 then they lose power lol (marcus knows where i read that)

Messing around with gearing is always a good idea. Also on the suspension if you got it set up then you would feel a difference on a ktm i had a 02 sx125 and the suspension was terrible imo.

If i was you though i would sell the 02 and upgrade to the 03 or 04 as there a different animal altogether!

motomickey

May 9, 2002
Procircuit pipe and silencer will make it easier to ride and you faster. DOMA is good also-not quite as good. 18mm offset tripleclamps will make it turn better. Get the suspension done for your size & ability-Novation, MXtech, precision concepts, Wilkes racing etc all know KTMs. If you like the bike, those things will make you like it more. The 03/04 versions are about 8 lbs lighter and have different frames-but the 02 can be made into a really good bike by the mods above. Another one is to go with a different brake rotor-either Galfer or Braking will improve your feel considerably with better power.

k-ryder

Feb 10, 2004
1) precision concepts suspension
2) 18mm offset clamps
3) lower subframe 5mm
4) fmf sst pipe/silencer
5) possible flywheel weight ( around 8oz )

elf

Jun 7, 2003
k-ryder said:
1) precision concepts suspension
2) 18mm offset clamps
3) lower subframe 5mm
4) fmf sst pipe/silencer
5) possible flywheel weight ( around 8oz )

This guy KNOWS ktms!!

motomickey

May 9, 2002
I would not go with the FMF on this bike-did the development with PC on their pipe with this bike-much better performer. Not bashing FMF-just know what PC did...They used my bike to do it, and had all the competitors to compare...and theirs was done after the others...PCpipe makes the flywheel not needed. They tried various ignitions with the bike (Icat was not available then) and there were no changes. If you make the change, go to 7.0 slide over the 6.5, cleans up the off idle tremendously. Had the cone pipe, and the production worked better.

k-ryder

Feb 10, 2004
mickey......i run pro circuit on my 125sx and love it.

on my 250sx, the fmf fatty boosted bottom alot, but fit like crap ! i tried the sst which fit great and smoothed the whole power band out considerablly. on that particular bike from what he seems to be looking for (broad/smooth/strong) powerband....the sst is a great choice.

on the other hand i never tried the pro circuit on the 250sx but i do know the sst works great.

motomickey

May 9, 2002
After the PC pipe, you will be amazed. I took a school with Ricky Johnson and after class he wanted to try it-he was amazed at the power From bottom to top, awesome. Said the motor was one of the nicest, strongest 250s he'd ridden. It was also fun watching him sneak up on 450s and blow by them, but he probably could have done that on a 50....

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
If you get anew pipe, I'd be interested in your stock one if its in good shape.

motomickey

May 9, 2002
Porting was different between 01 & 02...That's why PC spent so much time developing the pipe for the 02s. Big difference!! PC did the development -FMF did not make an 02 specific pipe, DOMA did. IF you get a PC pipe that is not the 02 version, it will make the 02 bike horrible (trust this one-the bike will run like a 125, but with 48hp when it comes on the pipe)....#1 pipe 02- PC, #2 Doma, #3 SST, #4Stock, rest were below that. Based on dyno & seat of the pants. This is for the 2002 250 SX only-not true with the EXC or MXC which were previous generation motors.

k-ryder

Feb 10, 2004
2002 has a different head, modified transfer port, lighter crank weight, boyesen rad valve.....compared to the 2001. they had the same stock pipe and powerband. the 02 just had 4 more hp.

Top Bottom