stickman

Jun 24, 2000
I'd like to try a 125 this year, I ride - race offroad, no moto. I'm told there will be no exc's for 2002, does anybody know anything different?? Canada maybe?? if not, anyone have any opinions on using an SX for offroad?

Stickman

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
I don't know anything about the availability of the 125 EXC, but I've been campaining an '01 125 SX in the GNCC's and local HS races. You'll need to address the suspension issue as it was too stiff for woods use. (Maybe the '02 suspension will be better?) You will also want to look into a larger capacity gas tank. Stock 2 gal. (8 liter) tank wont go far. You can buy the EXC tank/shroud/seat combo to get the really large capacity but that will cost you $$$$ and you loose the sleek SX layout. I went with the 2.9 gal. (11 liter) SX gas tank and am very happy. I discovered it when looking up the EXC gas tank part number to price the conversion. It's in the parts book. I retains the stock SX layout but has much more capacity. The tank is larger at the bottom and extends under the seat. I can comfortably go 1/2 of a 3 hour GNCC, which is all the range I need. The motor is a toss up. It's ok for faster GNCC type tracks but tight stuff is a problem as the motor is all up top. And when you find the power, hang on!!! This thing still amazes me even after I've ridden my 400 4stroke:scream: . I added a PC pipe and Vforce reed cage to help the bottom end and I'm quite happy. The bike is very easy to ride compared to larger bikes, despite the top end motor.

nicky

Mar 18, 2001
If your going to ride woods, have you considered the 200EXC? Hear its the same size but lots of power throughout the RPM range...Maybe why its the top seller for KTM...

stickman

Jun 24, 2000
Thanks for the replys! It all helps! Nickie, yes I owned a" 98" 200 and enjoyed it for the most part( PDS had some kinks). I'm on a 250 gas gas right now and have become very lazy do to the supper smooth motor! I'm thinking a 125 would get me back to a more aggressive mode! I figured as long as I'm going for small and light I may as well go all the way! Maybe a 200 next year or later this year, but right now I want a 125.

Thanks Stickman

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
I'm thinking a 125 would get me back to a more aggressive mode!

Stickman, You hit the nail right on the head :D ! I've been switching between my '01 400 SX and the '01 125 SX and the level of aggression on the 125 is much higher. The nature of it's motor wont allow you to be lazy. At times I would like the bottom end of my old '00 200 but not even it motivated me to ride like this 125. I don't know if it was the strong broad power or what, but I could be lazy on the 200, so I was at times. Another thing, the 125 handles a lot better than the 200. It surprised me as I was told they had the same frame and were very close in weight, but the 125 will hold the inside line much better. I even went so far as to put the seat/tank/rad shrouds from the 125 on the 200, thinking the layout was the difference. Wasn't the case after all. Another interesting note: despite the more aggressive riding style, I feel stronger towards the end of the ride/race!

stickman

Jun 24, 2000
I like what you say Bud-man!!! Especially since I just ordered up a 125 !! should be here in a couple weeks. I've only ridden a 125 (KTM) for about a half mile or so, I totally agree with you on how it feels different than a 200.

Thanks again
Stickman

stickman

Jun 24, 2000
HiG4s
I'm sure the 125 husky would be a great bike but they haven't made many inroads into the northwest (oregon) and I've already got one oddball in the barn. I'm going with the 125 KTM SX.

Stickman

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
There is only one dealer in the whole state of Florida and it is no where near me. I end up ording all my parts from a dealer in MO.

offroadracer

Jul 16, 2000
Hey TWIGBOY, maybe you should consider a TTR 125 ,I hear they really fly up those big hills in Oregon. What ever you do don't buy 200 i've got this friend (actually a friend of a friend) who bought one and he went from super fast to super spode.Thats just what i heard, i can't actually hang with the guy. By the way, am i still invited to go bow hunting with you?

Top Bottom