2002 KTM's

I know this topic may have already been posted, but i couldn't find it so i was hoping someone could help. i worked all summer and i want a new 2002 KTM SX125. i know thats what i want. I have had used bikes all my life and i want to try a brand spanking new one. i was hoping that someone could help me find info on the 2002's. i know that all the jap bikes have already made press realeases, but what about katoom. i haven't seen any pics except the one of the 2002 KTM sx520. any help would be greatly apreciated!

Thanks

Drew

KTM is kinda starting to treat there off road bikes like the Japanese did. The EXC's and MXC's didn't get the new swingarm that the SX's have, they didn't get the new bodywork, and they aren't getting the new suspension. Please tell me that KTM will invest money into the enduro bikes and not let them become just Bold New Graphics changes each year until eventually they disapear. The reason I bought a KTM was because they had a modern off road bike that fit my needs, but its kinda seeming that unless they do something to break this current trend the next bike I buy might not be a KTM and thats something I don't want to happen.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Growing pains.......

I think all of KTM's bikes are getting better. I know KTM has been trying to get there MX program up to snuff and the off road bikes use to be just motocrossers with headlights and the mx bikes were all considered enduro bikes. The joke on why K. Smith won Mt. Morris last year in the mud fest was that he had an unfair advantage because he was on a enduro. I expect to see the MX bike and off road bikes become more different every year. Which is ok with me because Mx bikes and off road bikes are different and should be treated differently.

Idktm, Why dont you just by an sx and put a headlight and goofy looking fenders on it. If its too fast just dont clean the air filter:think

Originally posted by mopowa
Idktm, Why dont you just by an sx and put a headlight and goofy looking fenders on it. If its too fast just dont clean the air filter:think
Those aren't the parts of the EXC I want. I took the rear fender thing off on the first day I had my EXC and the headlight shortly afterwards. The parts I want are in the motor, such as the wide ratio tranny and weighted flywheel, plus the big tank. I'm actually thinking of going the SX route next time and making it into an enduro bike myself. Plus that would give me an excuse to buy things for it.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
SX with six speeds?

The eurotekktm link has the 520 and 400SX models listed with six speed transmissions in the specifications. Is this a misprint?

The 400 SX came with a six speed this year, but I doubt the 520 SX will ever get it. Its to damn fast with a 4 speed.:p

From what I can see and follow in the threads, the UK + Europe get some models with slightly different spec's to the USA.
Our 520SX comes with a FOUR speed gearbox. Don't ask me why! The 520EXC gets six speeds.
Part of the beauty of KTM is rider feedback. If somethings disliked or wrong for an area, KTM just get on and change it. It doesn't take a season or two like the Jap bikes.
The fork upgrade thing for SX 2002 is something the MX boys have asked for. None of the Enduro guys have complained so they don't get!
In Europe the EXC outsells the SX models by a large amount so you'll not see the end of EXC's for a long while.

Last edited:

Strick

Lifetime Sponsor
DRZ Mick; How do we voice our wishes and concerns? I would like very much to let KTM know how this pumpkin rider feels about the 2002 changes (Lack Of). I am so disappointed in KTM, and their handling or the mxc/exc line(especially RFS), that I have a CRF450r on order.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
4's all you need. VOR has a 3 speed.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY KTM! :)

There, I voiced my opinion.