Dec 20, 2000
I know this topic may have already been posted, but i couldn't find it so i was hoping someone could help. i worked all summer and i want a new 2002 KTM SX125. i know thats what i want. I have had used bikes all my life and i want to try a brand spanking new one. i was hoping that someone could help me find info on the 2002's. i know that all the jap bikes have already made press realeases, but what about katoom. i haven't seen any pics except the one of the 2002 KTM sx520. any help would be greatly apreciated!

Thanks

Drew

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
KTM is kinda starting to treat there off road bikes like the Japanese did. The EXC's and MXC's didn't get the new swingarm that the SX's have, they didn't get the new bodywork, and they aren't getting the new suspension. Please tell me that KTM will invest money into the enduro bikes and not let them become just Bold New Graphics changes each year until eventually they disapear. The reason I bought a KTM was because they had a modern off road bike that fit my needs, but its kinda seeming that unless they do something to break this current trend the next bike I buy might not be a KTM and thats something I don't want to happen.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Growing pains.......

I think all of KTM's bikes are getting better. I know KTM has been trying to get there MX program up to snuff and the off road bikes use to be just motocrossers with headlights and the mx bikes were all considered enduro bikes. The joke on why K. Smith won Mt. Morris last year in the mud fest was that he had an unfair advantage because he was on a enduro. I expect to see the MX bike and off road bikes become more different every year. Which is ok with me because Mx bikes and off road bikes are different and should be treated differently.

mopowa

Dec 6, 2000
Idktm, Why dont you just by an sx and put a headlight and goofy looking fenders on it. If its too fast just dont clean the air filter:think

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by mopowa
Idktm, Why dont you just by an sx and put a headlight and goofy looking fenders on it. If its too fast just dont clean the air filter:think

Those aren't the parts of the EXC I want. I took the rear fender thing off on the first day I had my EXC and the headlight shortly afterwards. The parts I want are in the motor, such as the wide ratio tranny and weighted flywheel, plus the big tank. I'm actually thinking of going the SX route next time and making it into an enduro bike myself. Plus that would give me an excuse to buy things for it.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
SX with six speeds?

The eurotekktm link has the 520 and 400SX models listed with six speed transmissions in the specifications. Is this a misprint?

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
From what I can see and follow in the threads, the UK + Europe get some models with slightly different spec's to the USA.
Our 520SX comes with a FOUR speed gearbox. Don't ask me why! The 520EXC gets six speeds.
Part of the beauty of KTM is rider feedback. If somethings disliked or wrong for an area, KTM just get on and change it. It doesn't take a season or two like the Jap bikes.
The fork upgrade thing for SX 2002 is something the MX boys have asked for. None of the Enduro guys have complained so they don't get!
In Europe the EXC outsells the SX models by a large amount so you'll not see the end of EXC's for a long while.

Last edited:

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
DRZ Mick; How do we voice our wishes and concerns? I would like very much to let KTM know how this pumpkin rider feels about the 2002 changes (Lack Of). I am so disappointed in KTM, and their handling or the mxc/exc line(especially RFS), that I have a CRF450r on order.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
4's all you need. VOR has a 3 speed.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY KTM! :)

There, I voiced my opinion.

KTM400MAN

Sep 6, 2000
KTM does know what they're doing, and they are putting the proper equipment on the enduro models. I was just talking with my good friend and Pro mx'er Craig Davis about the new forks and shock on the 2002's. He already has been racing with the 2002 setup for three months now, and he says that the larger forks arent really much better, and that only pro-level racers could tell the difference anyway. He says that they were really made for jumpy SX style tracks and are really a little too rigid for mx style tracks. He said that you should have some flex in the forks on rough tracks and gp style courses and that bigger isn't always better. He said that the most noticeable improvement is in the new shock.
As for the swing arm, KTM had problems with swingarms breaking on the sx
models from hard landings on huge jumps. The average trail rider or enduro racer isn't casing from coming up short on 90 ft jumps. Maybe KTM will phase out the exc style swingarms over time though. As for the new bodywork, trust me, you aren't missing anything. The seat and tank are too narrow and the tank doesn't hold enough fuel for a short trailride. It is MX specific only.
The EXC style seat and tank are much more user friendly. As for the 520sx and a six speed? Forget it! It's just not necessary for mx racing. Erik

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
I don't know what you consider a short trail ride KTM400MAN, but I just raced an enduro with my 400SX and it worked great. I got 40 miles out of the stock tank. ;)

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by yarbonwick
Forty miles ain't no Enduro; that's a trail ride!!:p

I'm pretty sure Coach meant 40 miles got him to the optional/main gas stops. We do have one enduro up here, it's in Wisconsin, that is very short. Maybe even less than 40 miles. It's extremely gnarly, though. Even the top riders have had enough by the end.

grunk250r

Nov 16, 1999
MORA enduro

I tell ya what...there's an enduro here in MN this weekend that's 52 miles long...anyone who comes and rides it and then tells me they wished for more i'll be VERY impressed!!!;)

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
Hey Dave.....how bad is it gonna be? I plan on riding it this weekend. A couple guys told me it's been tamed down the last couple years. If it's going to be brutal I'll just stay home. Some of that stuff is just to hard on the bike!!

grunk250r

Nov 16, 1999
FANTASTIC!!

It's gonna be a GREAT enduro...very little 2 track, and plenty of off-camber/technical/rocky/rooty trail!!! Coach, i'm looking at a leftover 400EXC at Larson's...SMOKIN' deal...thoughts/comments???

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
How good a deal?? The 2002 don't have enough changes to spend the extra $$$$. I rode one back to back with my SX the day before Akeley and loved it. It's as narrow as the SX and you can't tell the weight dif at all. The little black button would kick ass. If I keep my bike another year I will definately install electric start on it. The only time I don't like mine is in the real tight stuff. It's alot for me to toss around.

Top Bottom