bschleuning

Aug 20, 2003
I bought my son a 2002 kx125 since he has out grown is kx 80, i completely went thru the suspension, put new fork seals in it, put new chain and sprockets on it and had the rear shock charged with nitrogen, it only had 60 psi in it and had it filled to the recommeded 150psi, he weighs 115 pounds and is a intermediate rider (super and moto)..i didnt check the sag when i bought it before doing all the repairs so i dont know where it was at, the guy we bought it from weighed 150 pounds and rode mostly mountain trails, i have all the clickers set at the team green specs, and can only get about 50 to 55mm race sag , static sag is about .75in...my son says that it seems to be fine as far as the tracking and handling, says he likes the feel of it on the big and little jumps, i know its about 50mm off on the race sag and am womdering if maybe the guy we bought it from had the nitrogen set at 60psi to get the right sag for a light rider, or if the spring is just to stiff.........i cant really go much looser on the spring adjustemt, when i sit on it i can get about 3.75in sag and i weight 225....all thoughts and comments will be appreciated..

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
It does sound like the problem might be the charging of the shock. I'm probably about 160-170 with my gear on and I had about 100mm of sag on my bike without ever having to adjust it. I've never done anything to the shock itself on my bike.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
bschleuning said:
...and can only get about 50 to 55mm race sag...

...am womdering if maybe the guy we bought it from had the nitrogen set at 60psi to get the right sag for a light rider, or if the spring is just to stiff.........i cant really go much looser on the spring adjustemt...
This should not be possible unless something is broken, you should be able to loosen the spring enough for you to get a 100mm race sag when your son is sitting on the bike. Remember, race sag equals (total length extended when the bike is on the stand) minus (length when rider is sitting on the bike).

Also, nitrogen pressure is not used to adjust sag, and you have to have at least over 100lb of pressure unless you are in danger of having the shock leak around the bladder cap and the seal head.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom