rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I am looking for a good bike for my 20 year old daughter. She has been riding a quad for the last few years and is pretty darn good on it but now she has her eye on a bike.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)

5' 2". Short. And she isn't going to grow any more! I can't tell you her weight, one because I don't know and two both my wife and daughter would never speak to me again if I posted that on the internet. Let's just say she isn't skinny.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?

Very. She plays soccer and hockey on co-ed teams and not afraid to put her body in harms way. She hits the terrain parks snowboarding. On the quad she will attempt and usually succeed climbing the gnarlyiest hills

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????

Mostly desert, some woods. One reason she wants the bike is so she can enter the family enduros (they don't allow quads).

4) Do you have any riding experience?

None on a bike, about 4 years on a quad.

5) Do you think you will race ?

Family enduros for sure, possibly more later.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?

Dad will take care of that.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?

I was thinking four stroke for the ease of use but I am concerned about the available power in a bike with a low enough seat height to fit her.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?

Doesn't matter.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?

I was thinking around $2000 but most of all I am looking at value. I figure it might be trading up/down/sideways in a couple of years, just want to get something decent back for it at that time.

10) Do you live in California?

Yes, and the green sticker is an issue. It won't be a deal killer if the bike is red sticker but green would be preferred. That is one reason I am considering a 2002 or older so that it will be green sticker.

11) Your age?

She is 20. At least for another 23 days, 12 hours, 8 minutes and 32 seconds (according to the countdown timer she has going....)

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

I had been thinking along the lines of a Yamaha TT-R125L (big wheel version) or a Honda CRF150F (also the bigger 19"/16" wheels). My concern is if the engine size will be appropriate for her.

What I am hoping others can help me with is to recommend some older two stroke models that would be suitable. New bikes I can look up the specifications for, older bikes are a little harder. Were there any 100cc two strokes in 2002?

I had her sit on a bike with a 32" seat height and that looked pretty good, but it certainly wouldn't want to be any higher. I also want to keep the weight down so she can pick it back up after a fall.

She already has the helmet, boots, gloves and goggles. I will be getting her a chest protector and knee pads before she rides.

Rod McInnis

f1uffy

Jun 14, 2007
I have a ttr 125 like you mention. I am female and 5'6" and 130. Non aggressive style rider. The short height is great. I ride in the woods and it climbs great. My friends are all on 230 or bigger. They tend to leave me in the dust on roads and clear patches. I got on a 230 recently and could tell the power difference was significant. I have not had my 125 out in the desert yet but I suspect I may want more get up and go.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
Yes there was the KX100 and KTM made a 100 back then also I believe. A lowered KDX 200/220 might be a bike to think of as well. I wonder if KTM made an EXC125????....

siaknijustin

May 14, 2009
I would go with a Honda crf230f. They are rock solid, easy to ride and they have an easy button! I would think that the little smokers would be a little too snappy. My buddy just picked up an '06 Honda 230 for $1900. Have her ride one and see what she thinks.

Apr 30, 2007
Hmmm, she is my height, and nearly the same age as I am.

This one is pretty tough not knowing her weight.

I wouldn't suggest a TTR 125 though, as they seem to be a little too underpowered if she wants to hit anything gnarly with it. The CRF230? It has more go, but the weight to power ratio is not awesome at all. I'm 5'2" and really really stretching to reach the ground.

I am not totally sure on this one, but a big bore kit to a 150F (big wheel) could do the trick, if not going with a 150R. That would mean going newer than 2002 though.

A 105 2-stroke might serve her purpose if you do a flywheel weight to smoothen out the power. I handed over my supermini to a normal sized person (guy around 190ish?) and he almost made it about 3/4 of the way up the "legendary" Oxide hill (near the iron range in MN).

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
get her a kx 100, its perfect!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom