OldRM

Jan 19, 2005
I recently picked up a new 2002 RM 250 to race Hare Scrambles in the Northeast. Since the weather is junky I have only ridden it a couple of times. I noticed that the clutch was "grabby" and the bike would not start well in gear. Thought it might simply be an adjustment issue.

I asked around and most folks said I needed to replace the stock basket, hub and pressure plate with Hinson parts. Well, that's fine, but the cost is prohibitive and I was surprised that I needed to dump a ton more cash into my new bike! :bang: One RM enthusiast suggested that I just change the basket to get the same result.

Does anyone have sound advice for me so that I can be ready to go before race season?

Thank a million!

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Your clutch basket may just be grooved, you can sand out the grooves and polish the basket and hub . If you need a new basket, just replacing the basket will help a lot.

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
I had the same issues with my 1997 and also heard to upgrade to Hinson stuff. I think the clutch is the achilles' heel of the RM's.

Micah

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
When you say new do you mean new to you or new as in left over dealer 02? If the bike is used but new to you then I would look at the basket for notching, they all need replacement after some abuse. If it's a dealer left over and is new I would try a few different tranny oils as they all give a slightly different clutch feel. I would not dump the stock basket until it was worn. If you are going to replace it look at Performance Engineering and Stormin Norman as more wallet friendly solutions rather than Hinson.

OldRM

Jan 19, 2005
I mean new. My brother and I each got one from a dealer that had them in stock, but had lost track of them in the inventory. Has anyone else had this same problem with their RM? If so, what did you do.

Chili - thanks for the tips and the heads up on how to save a buck or two.

Rotaholic

Mar 10, 2004
I could be wrong, but all 250s wont start easily in gear, I cant see this a problem. Just find neutral or just jump down hard on that kickstart. My brand new 03 hated being started in gear.
How do u mean the clutch is grabby? I think you should spend some more time on the bike and let yourself adjust to it. After a few primo rides you wont even notice these small flaws.
You could try a Z-clutch if you are feathering the clutch alot on hills etc

Dave.Smith

Dec 15, 2002
Some bikes are more sensitive to tranny fluids than others. Try some other fluids (ATF Type F, 5w-40 Rotella T synthetic, etc) and see if it helps.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I bought my 02 used and the basket had already been replaced. I do know the previous owner and I know that he switched to Type F ATF in the tranny from 10-40 and stayed with the stock basket until it was worn and needed replacing.

OldRM

Jan 19, 2005
I race Hare Scrambles so I have to start the bike in gear at the start. Further, when you are in the gnarly stuff up here in New England there is the occassion when you stall in a higher gear and restarting in gear is essential.

I think you are right about spending more time on the bike, but it seems that many people had a gripe about this bikes clutch. Trying to prepare for problems before the racing season.

Thanks again to everyone offering suggestions.

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
Pop the clutch cover off and look at the basket. You shouldn't have to remove any clutch parts to visually inspect it. If it looks grooved, then I would remove the basket and file the grooves.

I -THINK- a grooved clutch basket will make a clutch grabby. As in there is no middle ground, just on or off actuation. At least a friends 250 displayed these symptoms. It was a very annoying clutch to use and it could not be feathered at all.

I could set my clutch to allow the bike to start in 1st gear without shooting out from under you, but on top end the clutch would slip. Can't have that! So I had mine set for maximum grab on top end which unfortunately made it almost impossible to start in gear.

I would look at the basket. If it's grooved then definitely file and polish the edges smooth again. Also, if you install some stiffer clutch springs you might be able to get the clutch adjusted a little further out so that it will hold nice and tight on the top end while allowing 1st gear start up.

However, these are all just temporary fixes because once you start to groove up the basket again it will probably start to display it's old characteristics.

I too raced hare scrambles on mine and watched the pack pull away on the line while I had to start and then drop in gear. Sucks.

Micah

Rog

Oct 21, 2004
My 97 rm does it to. New plates no notches in the basket(still looks new) If your like me and don't wanna spend the bucks then you'll get used to it. I've found it's no big deal. You soon get used to starting it in gear like rotaholic said start workin that right leg and a quick blip on the throttle and it'll be sweet. Otherwise spend up large might be the only way.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Even with a full Hinson set-up my bike drags quite a bit when cold. I get much less dragging when I use Mobile 1 red cap oil in the tranny. 15/50 weight. It is about 20 degrees today. I did not even try to start my bike in gear. Once it warms up, no problem!

OldRM

Jan 19, 2005
I have talked with several RM owners who suggest Maxima MTL tranny fluid (comes in 75,80,85 wt). Of course when it is cold this viscosity oil might be tough to warm enough before the start of a race. I'll have to try it and see if it is better or worse than the stock oil. As mentioned earlier, I am forced to start in gear or suffer the consequence of a terrible start. All of you have given me ideas and I will have to try a few to sort this out. We just had 16" of snow and I don't put screws in my tires, so it will be a while before I ride again.

If you have more suggestions I welcome them. Thank you.

Top Bottom