powercart

Mar 29, 2002
I just purchased a 2002 rm125. The clutch has been just gone over and the plates were replaced. When the bike is running in neutral, and i kick it into gear it stalls. And then it will not start in gear. The cable is ajusted at the top by the liver and everything is fine there. I managed to roll the bike foreward and get it into gear, and with the clutch pulled in i could give it gas and the bike would take off, oviously its not disengaging or the plates are not right. Can anyone help me out?? Thanx

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
sorry, but your basket and inner hub are probably worn and need replacing.

the best basket is from storminnorman racing, ~$135. the inner hubs are ~$60 OEM.

if you use the OEM hub, you can drill the grooves for better oil flow around the clutch

powercart

Mar 29, 2002
The guy i bought the bike off is a machanic at a local bike store. He said that the basket and everything in there was fine. The plates were the only thing that needed to be replaced. Im thinking it could be becasue of the colder weather here in B.C. He might have 80 wt oil in it, and the manual recomends 10-40. I dono....

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
once the engine is warm, there shouldnt be a problem- so, i would take the bike apart and inspect the clutch- ive got the same bike and the OEM clutches wear quick. ive seen it first hand.

spuddybuford

Jan 31, 2003
I had the same problems after installing a new clutch kit on my RM. Made some minor cable adjustments after the oil was up to operating temp fixed the problem. There is a really narrow gap between 1st and 2nd that if not paying really close attention, will adjust neutral completely out of it. I had to make adjustments in fine increments...I have never been able to start the bike in nuetral easily if the engine was cold, warm, starts just fine.

nzfred

Nov 22, 1999
Look at the basket and check if its slightly bumpy in the grooves where the plates move against it, if it is you can file them away, however there is a fine point between smoothing them out and taking to much material off. If you file away to much the plates will chatter in the basket.
I have seen this problem alot on rm clutches, however the inner hub always seems to be fine.

Top Bottom