2002 RM125 Clutch issues! Please help!!

Russb

May 30, 2008
I just bought this RM125 and notice that as i let the clutch out....as it starts to grab...it starts snatching hard. As u get moving it feels fine...power is great. By snatching i mean as it starts to pull.....it starts jerking and releasing. Then as i let it all the way out...it feels fine...no slipping under power. Is there an adjusment or a way to shim the clutch. He said he had just installed a new clutch and sai that the jerking was normal! He sold the bike to my son...and i know for a fact that the jerking is not normal. It definitely feels clutch related!
Thanks for your help!!
Russ

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The basket and hub that the clutch plates sit between develops notches or grooves and the surface. Once this happens then the plates don't engage and disengage smoothly, sometimes jerking or sticking.

This is a very common issue with Suzuki clutches.

These were just some quick examples located with a google search.

notched_basket.jpg

feliciani_clutch_hub.jpg

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
There are 2 positions, engaged and dis-engaged. Clutch slipping, feathering are very detrimental to your clutch. Check it that it does not look like Chili's pics. Keep the oil changed, and do not be abusive on the clutch.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
robwbright said:
If the basket is notched, you can file the notches down and get a bit more wear out of it.

Those parts are pretty expensive.

Keeping in mind you are increasing the tolerances for the plate tabs which accelerates the wear to the basket and the clutch plates.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Aftermarket billet basket... $175-250. Suzuki OEM hub... about $50. Aftermarket billet hubs are SO pricey that we just keep a close eye on the OEM ones and replace as needed (whenever new plates are installed.) The aftermarket baskets are WAY better/longer lasting than the stock stuff. For your gear oil, I have found the thin automotive ATF type F to work quite well with Suzukis (helps eliminate drag.) As said prior: change oil often, we change every 4-5 running hours.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
Aftermarket billet basket... $175-250. Suzuki OEM hub... about $50. Aftermarket billet hubs are SO pricey that we just keep a close eye on the OEM ones and replace as needed (whenever new plates are installed.) The aftermarket baskets are WAY better/longer lasting than the stock stuff. For your gear oil, I have found the thin automotive ATF type F to work quite well with Suzukis (helps eliminate drag.) As said prior: change oil often, we change every 4-5 running hours.

That's the setup and fluid we've run in pretty much every Suzuki 2 stroke we've ever owned.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
2-Strokes 4-ever said:

Any particular brand ATF Type F? I've been running Mobil 1 15w50, and was about to switch to 80 wt Bel Ray synthetic.

Also, I have a strange issue - mine hits neutral 10-20% of the time when shifting from 2nd to 1st.

Ideas?

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
robwbright said:
Any particular brand ATF Type F?
We really get clutches hot in the tight trail stuff. We use the cheap stuff (since it's changed so often.) It's called Coastal (Auto Zone's.) Ran Valvoline ATF a couple times too... couldn't tell a difference between the two.

matt_12345

Mar 14, 2008
my rm 250 did the exact same thing all last year and when i pulled it apart in winter i found that 2 clutch plates were broken and thye were worn out.. just by replacing the fiber plates it made the clutch perform much more smoothly and it felt stronger. then i bought a hinson clutch basket on ebay which only made it better

Top Bottom