acefreely

Oct 12, 2006
Please forgive me if these are silly questions. This is the first 2-stroke that I have owned since 1994 (RM125). Been stuck with street bikes and 4-strokes.

I have a 2002 RM250 with FMF Fatty pipe and silencer. I am VERY happy with the power of the bike, really incredible when compared to my other bike, a 400cc DRZ 4-stroke. Like others have said, the adreneline factor of the 2-stroke is killer. Anyway a couple of questions...

The previous owner told me he jetted the bike rich. After reading and searching the forums I definately agree with him. I am getting a lot of splooge and oil on my fender. The FMF website recommends a 168 main jet with 50/50 racing fuel and premium mix. I will be using straight premium fuel, 32:1 mix Specto SX. Will that setup work the same with straight fuel?

Also I am reading a lot about the air screw. Is this the black screw that is next to the choke?

The idle is a little high for my liking. The choke say something about idle on it, can I turn the choke to adjust the idle?

And one more (for now), the tranny case says 750ml on the side. Am I correct in assuming that this is the capacity for the tranny oil?

Thanks in advance all!
Ace

xcracer72

Uhhh...
May 28, 2006
40 to 1 is good and cuts down on the spooge. so does repacking your silencer
adjust your idle with the screw you mention when the bike is hot
750 is the capacity

02rm250

Uhhh...
Sep 25, 2006
Hey ace, I also have a 02 rm 250. Its got a Bills pipe/silencer, V-force reeds, and a Wiesco piston. I run 93 pump gas and Bel-Ray H1R. I mix one bottle with 4 gallons of fuel. Just stick with what youre using. Fuel ratio(32:1 for example), is just how much oil is in the gas. More oil actually maxes a leaner fuel because there is less gas in a given volume. I totally agree with xcracer, repack that silencer. Its cheap, easy, makes a big difference with jetting, and keeps the bike as quite as possible(though thats not that quite). On the carb, the choke knob turns to adjust the choked idle speed. This doesnt majorly effect the main idle. The main idle is the large black screw. Under that is a somewhat sunken in, slotted brass screw, this is the air screw. Yes 750 is the correct trans oil amount.

acefreely

Oct 12, 2006
Thanks for the advice guys, it is much appreciated! If anyone would like to add anything feel free!!! I'll make changes and post results...

Thanks 02rm250 and xcracer72!

-Ace

Top Bottom