2002 wr426 yamaha- no e- start, waaa!!!!

xr600r

Apr 15, 2001
i was really hoping yamaha would put electric start on the new wr,
now do i buy a 2001 sitting on the dealers floor , hold out and
buy a 2002, or wait and see if the put the button on in 2003,
or buy a ktm exc,wait and see if honda makes an off-road
version of the cr450f, or ride my trusty '96 xr600 for a while
longer. decisions, decisions .

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
What do you need an Estart for? Just makes it heavier... Getting off the XR might make it feel light though... How hard do you ride? The WR needs to be flogged to perform... it isn't very comfortable just to put around on...

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I might be speaking out of line, but I'd say putting around on an xr600 and then riding the same way on a WR would give the WR quite a good floggin' :confused:

ballistic

Jan 13, 2001
WAIT FOR E-Start!!

"manual" kick starting is old technology. Cameras nowadays are "autofocus" and "autorewind". Garage doors are electric because its handy, practical, and better. Most cars are "automatic" tranny. :think

C'mon, do you stand in a line-up or use the ATM? :p

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
Read the "My generation" thread in the Flame Forum. The WR is high strung. I have one. I have ridden the XR also. I like them both. IMO, the XR is more comfortable to sit on, and easier to ride slowly. The WR has a hard seat, is tall, and tippy, and is stiff. To really use the WR, and not just get a case of monkey butt from sitting all day, it begs to be ridden hard. The XR is a great bike, but the WR is the close brother of a competition bike, and being light is important... If you want Estart, go DRZ, great bike also, or KTM. Not to say that they can't put one on (BTW an couple of aftermarket kits are made for WR Estarts), but it would weigh more. I like my WR for what it is.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I was going to suggest a DRZ but it's more of a trail bike than a race bike, isn't it?

ballistic

Jan 13, 2001
DRZ= great offroad bike, OK MXer with suspension work

YZF= great MX bike, if MX is your thing

But I would venture that most of us spend the bulk of our time playing around offroad. This is where DRZ shines.
If they release a WR450 with E-start next year, I'll look closely at getting one.

Some like revolvers, some prefer autoload:p
Some like manual can openers, I like electric;)

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
I think Yammy really blew it by not putting the button on the WRs. The only reason I bought my 400EXC was because of the e-start. I was hoping the 02 WRs would have had it as everyone is asking for it. I would have bought an 02 WR250 or 426 if it would have had e-start but alas, I will be going to my KTM dealer and plunking down a deposit on an 02 400 EXC tomorrow.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
XR600R,
I owned the same XR for almost a year, and then switched to a 2K1WR426. I am so friggin happy I got the WR.:) Compared to the XR, it feels 75lbs lighter, (easily), handles very well in tight single track, and flat out hauls butt better than my XR6 EVER did. I may catch some flack for this, but the WR's power-to-weight ratio is killer compared to the 600. Im always riding it hard, and loving every second. I have been MXing it a bit, and am finding it the best possible choice for me. I love it in the woods, and love it on the track. I have the routine for starting down, and find it EASIER than my 600. First kick almost every time. Never fails. Runs like a champ! If you can get a deal-GO FOR IT, you wont be disappointed!
As for the E-start, PUL-LEEZE! Its for the Mary's! Get the routine down, and youll find its not even an issue. If you really want e-start you can add it for $1400!
Best bike I have ever owned, period. Good luck!:cool:

Last edited:

ballistic

Jan 13, 2001
Heres my routine:
--pull in the clutch
--dont worry about TDC
--dont worry about throttle
--position thumb DIRECTLY over start button
--give it a good, solid push
--lights up like a champ

This can be done while rolling, in mid air, hillside, or whatever.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I am so proud of Yamaha for NOT compromising a great machine by putting street bike parts on it. Thank you Yamaha!!

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
My feelings are that if you cant or dont want to start this bike, you probably should not be riding it in the first place. I find holding onto the thing far more challenging than starting it :) ! The bike is a big blue wild beast, trying to tame it with street like gear would work against that theme. If they could do it for the same or less weight like KTM and same $, then fine. If they put it on, half the guys would just rip it off for the weight savings anyway.

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
Funny, I havent thought of the KTMs as street bikes??? Thats cool though because that makes them even more verstile!!!! Honestly, this goes right back to personal preference. I have owned both, Yamaha and KTM, and as far as the performance factor, they are both great. I just happen to prefer the E button. It is very convenient to be able to hit the E button if you flame out on an uphill switchback and not have to get positioned just right to do the start drill. If the 4stroke strarted like a 2stroke it wouldnt be a big deal, but they DONT. I know you're not supposed to flame out but it DOES happen and when it does, it is at the most inopportune time. The bottom line, there is no way you can restart the Yamaha as fast or with as little effort as you can the E start KTM. My O2. :)

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
When my riding buddy stalled his 520mxc at the last Hare Scramble sliding into a sharp right hand switchback (about 160 degree turn) at speed, punched the button, pulled into a wheelie, snapped through three gears, tapped the rear brake to drop the front tire in time to make the left hander into the wheat field it made me think that the button might be kinda nice.

I'd still be kickin' my bike.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I got to believe that if a tiny little company like VOR can make an easy starting big bore four stroke, so can Yamaha. My bet is with all the crap they have to hear they will make it right ... might even be 2002.:eek:

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
WR or XR

Having riden an XR400 and now switched over to a YZ400 I can say that they are worlds apart.

XR400= sit down, lug it as much as you want, no need for decompression lever and no monkey butt

YZ400= monkey butt, can stall easily, tons of power, stiff suspension, but rips on the MX track, just OK for trails.

I am a begginer/novice class rider, mostly MX but some trails/scrambles. I am much faster on the YZ when I race, but more uncomfortable on the YZ when I dont.

Mike

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
12.5 : 1 compression has a way of making a bike of same cc worlds apart. Yup, a button would be sweet, but now you will need an auto decomp, all that stuff will add $ and # to the bike and the bike that is curently competitive with the much more expensive and already lighter KTM, starts looking less appealing. Maybe the 03 YZ 450F will raize the bar to where we want this bike to go.

Sierra Flash

Dec 29, 2000
Starting 4 Strokes

----The bottom line, there is no way you can restart the Yamaha as fast or with as little effort as you can the E start KTM. My O2.--

Well the Suzuki factory off road team answered this question by saying the kick start is faster than E start and therefore none of them run the E start.

Do yourself a favor before knocking any thumper as hard to start, go to any popular riding area and watch the experienced riders start their bikes on one kick almost effortlessly. If you have a thumper and have problems starting it ask one of these riders to start your bike, it will either start on the first kick or this rider will be able to analyze your problem for you. If anyone stalls a WR they either need auto trans or auto brake control installed. I prefer the money saved and less weight over an E start, besides it is a good feeling to
start a thumper in one kick after unloading, there are always people watching.

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
I think Suzukis decision to run the kickers was that they were using a bike that was 30 lbs heavier than the competition. Getting rid of the e-start was the easiest way to lose some weight. Guaranteed, if they could get the bike lighter, they would be using the e-start.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
EXACTLY!

SierraFlash, you are right on the money. Whenever I unload my bike, guys always watch to see how many kicks its going to take. I just love that 1 usually does it. Takes all that nonsense and tosses it in the can!:cool:

ballistic

Jan 13, 2001
Its true... the DRZ e-start is exactly 13 lbs. heavier then the DRZ kick version. Watch for that weight to come down as more thumpers use E-start options. I would hope they could make one in the 5-6 lb. range.

Heres another fact:
WR 11 lbs. lighter than DRZ kick
WR 4% more HP than DRZ
WR426 6% more diplacement than DRZ

So whats the point? Why does everyone crow about Yams being faster?
I hope they are, they have a bigger motor.:think

Basically I don't care either way. When the field is level next year (i.e. all thumpers are 450cc) then fair comparison can begin. I hope Kaw gets in on the action as well. The more the better. Fourstrokes are only gonna get faster and lighter gentlemen. In the meantime some friendly banter goes on.

Sierra Flash

Dec 29, 2000
Starting

I think Suzukis decision to run the kickers was that they were using a bike that was 30 lbs heavier than the competition. Getting rid of the e-start was the easiest way to lose some weight. Guaranteed, if they could get the bike lighter, they would be using the e-start.

No the Suzuki riders said they could dead engine start quicker by kicking the bike than with electric starter. The Suzuki bikes are not any heavier than other 4 strokes they are not show room stock

Vinnyl26

~SPONSOR~
Dec 8, 2000
I have a 2001 DR-Z 400E So far it is the best trail bike I have owned. We went on Trail 6 at Forest Hill If anyone has ever been there It has some nasty switchbacks That E-button was worth every penny and every ounce of extra weight it put on. To be stalled on the side of the hill and be able to start and go without kicking is priceless. When everyone else was dead tired from kicking there "POS" I was reaady for more. In that group we had a XE650 XR400 WR400 and a KLX300

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Vinnyl26,
There will always be times when an e-start comes in handy. At the beginning of a dead-engine race, on the side of a hill, etc. What usually happens in these debates is that someone will start it by saying "Why are blue 4strokes so hard to start". Then the guys that dont know any better say something like, "I'd rather have my e-start anyday". And of course in the end its usually someone saying something like "I'll take the bike thats 15lbs lighter anyday". I guess that last statement comes from a guy like me. :) Plus, as most of us say, its not the bike, its the rider. Take your pick, and go have a blast!:cool:

Top Bottom