holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Yeah - looks like it got a Bold New Swingarm, and not much more. 2003 maybe?

krash133

Feb 2, 2001
I think it was Dirt Rider that said that the new bike to replace the 426 will probably appear in '03. I guess we have to wait a year.:(

Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
Bummer. I wanted a new 4-stroker, but I don't want to pay the ridiculous amount of $$$ it is going to take to get a CR450F. :(

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
i love it! a new "factory team-style" look for the swingarm. do these marketing types just not understand who buys these products??:silly:

when, when, when are yamaha and kawi going to realize that the damn factory-cool-team-wannabe finsh on the swingarms GETS SCRATCHED IMMEDIATELY AND LOOKS LIKE ASS!! maybe if their product development team actually went to the races they would see that all the factory mechanics have removed the paint.

sheesh.

will pattison
3 yz thumpers with clean swingarms

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Will,
When you say you have clean swingarms, what do you mean?
Mine is ground meat!
How do you keep them clean or factory looking?
I really don't want to put some full size decal on it. I always thought those looked garish.
Bill

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
i strip ALL the paint off of them. thataway, if i get a scratch or goober, i can just whip out the scotchbrite pad and BOOM it looks new again.

wp.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Is that the factory look?
What do you strip the paint with?
Scotch-brite wheel?
Sounds like a more atractive solution than scratched paint...

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
well, all the factory yamaha's i've seen had the paint stripped from the swingarms. in fact, early on - with henry's bike - it looked like they were even damascening them, which was veeerrry sano. i imagaine sfo knows, but for the rest of youse, damascening is where they create the little circular swirls so the the surface of the metal looks like fish scales. it's a hot rod thing.

anyhow, the best way i have found to strip 'em is to take the swingarm off and bead blast using medium glass beads. first, i remove all the attachments, then i stuff wads of paper shop towels into the pivot bearings. next, i use electrical tape to cover the ends of the pivots. if you do this right, it will save you having to wash the bearings out afterwards. however, if you get done and you feel grit in the works, you have no choice. anyway, the final step after all the paint is gone is to lightly wet sand the arms with 300 grit sandpaper. a scotch wheel can be used in the tight areas, but i prefer the "linear" brushed look everywhere else. the whole job takes me about 2 hours before the swingarm is ready to go back on.

wp.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I don't want to pay the ridiculous amount of $$$ it is going to take to get a CR450F

There is only $300 difference between the 450 and 426. If Yamaha comes out with a new and improved YZ450F, do you really think it will keep the $5,999 MSRP that the 426 has? I doubt it....it will most likely be over $6k, just like the Honda.

I certainly wouldn't wait around a whole year for a bike that may not even be made, just to save a couple hundred bucks.

krash133

Feb 2, 2001
$$$ for a CRF450

The money problem with the new Honda is not the MSRP price but the actual dealer price. First you have MSRP ($6299) then you have the dealer's shipping and building fee ($150-250) and then you have the tax and license on top of that ($600-800). Now you have an out the door price of $7100-7400). You can usually deal with the salesman and get him to knock off the shipping fee and come down to a reasonable price, but with the 450f being in high demand the dealers will not negotiate. I talked to my local shop and he said that he wouldn't make any deals on the bike, and that with the demand he was going to sell all his at full boat. So it will take extra $$$ to get a new CRF450.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Geeze,....and everyone says how expensive the Orange bikes are,...the 'out the door price' on my 00'520 was $6995.!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Didn't you guys overlook the new perimeter frame?

You sure that applies to the thumpers?

Top Bottom