2003 airbox

kamakazikx

Mar 5, 2003
ive been reading many things about the new 2003 kx airbox design. does anyone think there is performance to gain from retrofitting the 2003 airbox onto a 98 EG kx 144? im just looking for every advantage possible and this looked promising. more air = more hp correct :o)

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Buy yourself a twin air filter for a 03 kx 250 or 125 same filter.The design is a lot smaller than previous years. That will get you a little more area in the airbox.LESS EXPENSIVE TOO!!!!!!

Last edited:

turboandy

Jan 3, 2003
Respectfully why would a smaller filter be better than a larger one ? In my thinking the filter would be the congestion area of air flow so a larger filter with more area would be less restrictive than a smaller one. I respectfully disagree but am willing to be proved wrong. If I learn something by being proved wrong it is well worth it to me.

Luft

Dec 24, 2002
A smaller filter has less filter surface area which results in less air flow restriction. All filters restrict flow and the restriction increases as the filter captures contaminants.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Luft
A smaller filter has less filter surface area which results in less air flow restriction.

The flow bench says otherwise. :confused:

The "theory" behind using a smaller filter element is as Keith pointed to increase the available air volume in the air box. General rule of thumb is, big volume airboxes are preferable to smaller volume units. But like most things in life it's never quite that simple. Airbox dynamics aren't easily modeled or tested, so a lot of what gets sold is nothing but a best guess. Judging by some of the awful airboxes that get sold on the aftermarket I'd say a lot of people are guessing WRONG. ;)

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
i know its different but with cars everbody is always using bigger air filters to get more power not smaller

turboandy

Jan 3, 2003
The smaller air filter area would mean that the velocity would have to be increased to flow the same amount as a large filter. On a normally aspirated engine that is not good as the engine has to suck air for itself. If it had a blower on it I might understand. Respectfully I still disagree with the smaller filter theory.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I dont think much power is lurking in any airbox design-i would look at the usual places for power-reeds/pipe/porting etc.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by marcusgunby
I dont think much power is lurking in any airbox design-i would look at the usual places for power-reeds/pipe/porting etc.

DITTO!

kamakazikx

Mar 5, 2003
there is not much more i can do to the engine..

thus far it has.

Eric gorr 144 kit with mid to top end porting
FMF rev pipe and power core II silencer
boysen reeds on the stock reed block ( soon to be upgraded to delta force 2 cage)
reed spacer
Dyna FS 4 curve ignition
TwinAir high flow filter element

im just looks at the last few options i have.. BTW Eric gorrs kit rocks night and day from the stock bike with a pipe.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
hey guys, i have a related question.

i managed to pick up some spare platics for the RM, they had come from the Team ECC AMA SX bikes, each side panel had 4 1/2inch holes drilled in. Is this a common tuning thing? are there any problems this could cause other than allowing more dirt onto the filter????? its interesting that the RM has an extra cover that is positioned over the filter under the seat, i am wondering wheather i should not use it to help this bike breath?

any suggestions?

cheers, BC

Tom H

Sep 5, 2000
My guess, bc is that the giant holes might help you a very very marginal amount in dry weather, but would be a big mistake if you ride it in mud (does it ever rain in So. Cal?) Mud on foam filters don't work too well.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…