dsguru

Oct 23, 2003
What is the best pipe for 2003 cr 250?Anybody using rad guards on their cr what are the best?I just bought the bike wanting some up grade.Skid plate,rims,graphics,etc.What are you guys using?

psycho

King Rot-Gut
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2000
I just ordered an FMF Fatty Factory w/ PC-2 silencer for my '03 CR250, so I'll be able to tell you my impressions next week hopefully. Also, I have radiator braces installed. I chose the Works Connection ones. Have had them on a few other bikes and have not squished my radiators yet. One other upgrade you might look at is sprockets and chain. My stock chain just kept on stretching and stretching. So I replaced with Renthal sprockets and a DID ERT chain. No stretching now! I also have done the MX-Bonz airbox upgrade. Stock setup is junk IMHO. UHmm... That's all I can think of now. I would do the airbox first though.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
dsguru, mine's an '02 raather than an '03 but I think the results are probably similar, I have tried a lot of mods looking for more low to mid the most effective were 1. porting and head work, very effective, 2. power now, I couldn't believe this little wing made as much difference as it did, 3. PC pipe and silencer, I dinged mine up and went back to stock, not nearly the difference I had thought it would make. If I were starting with a new one I would probably pop a power now in it first and then send the motor to EG. Of course if you're looking for more top end I am no help at all. :laugh:

OzyMoto

Jul 30, 2002
overall most people think the stock pipe is the best for the 03 CR250. You can alter the powerband with a different pipe. FMF fatty is close to stock. the sst gives more over rev. You will not notice a real big power change if all you do is change the pipe.

Case Reed CR250's need to be jetted really close to perfect or they're dogs. Get the jetting right and the engine is pretty sweet. I ended up running 1/2 vp c-12 and 1/2 91 octane at 40:1 and my bike works pretty good all the time. I think I dropped the main two steps and went up one on the pilot. the stock needle is too rich also

mos11b

Feb 8, 2004
power now

Dumb question, what is a “power now”

Thanks!
:whiner:

BEEF706 said:
dsguru, mine's an '02 raather than an '03 but I think the results are probably similar, I have tried a lot of mods looking for more low to mid the most effective were 1. porting and head work, very effective, 2. power now, I couldn't believe this little wing made as much difference as it did, 3. PC pipe and silencer, I dinged mine up and went back to stock, not nearly the difference I had thought it would make. If I were starting with a new one I would probably pop a power now in it first and then send the motor to EG. Of course if you're looking for more top end I am no help at all. :laugh:

dsguru

Oct 23, 2003
ozymoto how come you mixed your fuel with c-12?Did you bump up the compression or timing?Or is it that you can lean the bike down more with the c-12.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
mos11b, the Power Now is an insert that sits in the throat of the carb, it has a wing horizontally across it. I am not sure of all the physics involved, but I believe the concept is that is smooths the turbulence out of the airflow and speeds it up at lower throttle settings, improving throttle reponse. I can tell you it makes a pretty big difference on my '02 :)

CR_Dave

Sponsoring Member
Mar 3, 2000
I put a DEP Pipe and Silencer with V-Force Reed Cage on my 03. Really brought the bike up on the low end, plenty of power throughout -- jetting was a pain until I got it right.

mos11b

Feb 8, 2004
Power Now

BEEF706 said:
mos11b, the Power Now is an insert that sits in the throat of the carb, it has a wing horizontally across it. I am not sure of all the physics involved, but I believe the concept is that is smooths the turbulence out of the airflow and speeds it up at lower throttle settings, improving throttle reponse. I can tell you it makes a pretty big difference on my '02 :)

So is the Power now worth the $99.00? How much power increase does it give? My bike is stock 100%, what item's would make the most difference for the $$ (to improve the low end).

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I like DeVol rad guards better because they are stronger. They restrict airflow a litle bit though. If you are always trail riding in first gear, the lack of airflow may be a problem.
For the motor: The best mod is Eric Gorr porting-no question about it. There is no way on earth a simple pipe change can repair the goofy Honda port layout. Sure a pipe and silencer can help though, but it is more expensive than porting so IMO don't see why you would want that.

Top Bottom