MMH

Jul 1, 2007
I just bought a 2003 CRF450R. From everything I read, the hot start lever is supposed to be the smaller lever above the clutch lever. My bike does not have anything by the clutch lever. It does have a anodized red lever on the throttle side. Is this the Hot Start lever? It does not 'lock' in place. Should I hold it over until it the bike starts, or just flip it over & let the lever return to it's 'neutral' position.

MMH

Jul 1, 2007
flyingfuzzball said:
you hold it down when kicking it

the second it starts let go or thats what my 150's manual said to do and its probably the same system
Thanks for the reply. Is this the standard location for the hot start on 2003 & later? Seems like all references indicate that this lever is on the clutch side.

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
Stock hotstart is above the clutch but alot of times the aftermarket hot start levers will be on the right side next to the throttle. This is supposed to help prevent you (the rider) from giving it gas while kicking with the hot start engaged. Judging by the fact that you have a red hot start lever I'm guessing you have an aftermarket one, my stock one is silver and on the clutch side.

I got my valves adjusted on my 04 CRF450R today, I don't even need the hotstart lever to start once it's hot. It starts up first kick cold and first kick once hot. What a difference it is from what it was before, it's amazing what a tight intake valve will do.

Top Bottom