2003 Funky Chicken National Hare Scramble(Oregon)

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Hi all scramblers! This year's race is a bit earlier in the season, conditions might be just right! Then again, it might be MUDDY! :yeehaw:
The 4th round of the AMA National Hare Scrambles Series will be in Elkton, OR on Memorial Day Weekend, May 24th and 25th. The Emerald Trail Riders Association is hosting the event for the fifth year in a row.
The course is very demanding but fun at the same time. The terrain is very steep, full of tight woods and throttle-stop wfo meadows and grass tracks. This is a national-caliber race and it has been designed to be tough. :p If you are a beginner or haven't raced yet, you might want to wait a year.
Amateurs race on Saturday and Pros/Experts race on Sunday. Camping is great, spectating is great. Also, most of us will have Monday off so we can stay on Sunday and drive home Monday! Whooppee!
Printable flyers, entry froms and info are available at www.etra.net.
Any other questions will gladly be answered on this thread. Good Luck! :thumb: endoquest

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
I was startimg to get worried about you Endo.
Havent heard a word from you or Bonehead since Spanksgiving!
Well I intend on making it again this year.
And lets just cut to the chase, go ahead and give me that IV , BEFORE the race this year! :yeehaw:

But seriously, any body reading this, you have to go and do it. EPIC!
And also let this be the first call out to any body from the SOCAL wrecking crew, you guys have an open invatation to car pool up with the bunster!

Bundy

Oct 10, 2000
I don't know if I'll make it this year. I had a great time last year (a little less dust would've been good..........lol) I'm not running the whole series this year, just select events 5 or 6 races and I'm trying to figure a way to do The Funky Chicken!
My Funky Chicken shirt from last year is one of my favorites :)

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Hi Wheelie, I hope you can do it. This year will be much different, guaranteed. It will either be perfect conditions or wet but no dust. The new sections are, uh, quite gnarly and, uh, "creative". Yeah, that's it!
Do what you can, my friend, and good luck in the series. New shirts this year, too.

ktmzak

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 2002
Endo, How are the pre-entries looking for Saturday? Was there last year with a bunch of D-36'ers and had a great time. Looking forward to doing it again this year. Your club put on a great event.

bill

HARDKOREKELLY

Nov 12, 2001
Yo Endo, Angry Jim and I are most likely going to make this to the race it sounds like a blast (even if muddy!) We met you @ the 02' Reno Ride, looking forward to this race.

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
ktmzac, pre-entries are still open but filling, send it on in!
Kelly, I remember you, Gas gas 300? Definitely try to make it and definitely bring angryjim with you. Thanks!

HARDKOREKELLY

Nov 12, 2001
Count KDOG and Angry Jim in, we cant wait! Endo are you racing? Both Angry and I have been doin well this year in D36, so we'll see how Oregon boys stack up.

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Me race? I wish! I'll be a very busy person that whole week. During both days of racing I will have between 40-80 people reporting directly to me. Part of the glamour and glory of promoting this great sport. :thumb:
Great news about KDOG and angryjim, you guys will love it. Heck, even if you hate it, you're still going to love it. This will be a very different race for you, I'm sure. Weather this time of year is very unpredictable, I'm hoping for rain just to add to the torture of an already difficult course. :p
I just did an enduro up in Washington, finished in the top 20 overall. The 525 with a trials tire on it did VERY well. I'll be doing another enduro in a few weeks but then it's time for last minute Funky stuff. I really wish I could compete in this race but that would be unfair since I know EVERY INCH of the course in my SLEEP. :scream:
Definitely look me up as soon as you guys get there, and Thanks!
Dave, I don't know what I'm going to do with my fart-fart because the motor is still in 257 PIECES. Hopefully I will get it back together and put another 15 hours on it before a have to split the cases again!

HARDKOREKELLY

Nov 12, 2001
We dont mind if its snotty, I actually like snotty conditions-seperates hard core from the winers! Sorry to hear about your fart-fart, mine was actually a good bike, I just got tired of all the name calling and waiting for parts.

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
Endo
I read that the Junior course was going to be 3 miles and run at 10:00 AM on Saturday. Is that course still going to have some of the fun technical stuff in it as well? How big will this class be this year?

To all - we stayed at the Big-K cabins last year. It is a pretty cool set-up and carries my recommendations.

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Loco, the junior race will have one or two technical spots but certainly not what the rest of the course compares to. I have no idea how many kids will show up to race, most OMRA races have low turnouts for kids because they're too difficult. We designed the junior loop so kids on 80s can get around it in the rain. The last thing we want is to have the first race of the weekend a big cluster. We are running a separate race for the OMRA Junior class becasue the AMA won't allow kids to compete with the big bikes. It's actually a really good idea because both sides benefit from it. The kids can race themselves and not slow down the big boys. Besides, the National course is way too hard for the average Oregon kid. Juniors that aren't OMRA racers can still run the junior race but the class limits are still 14 yrs old and 105cc.
I understand that California and a lot of other states have full-blown youth championships with multiple classes and such, but we just don't have enough riders. Hopefully in the future this will happen.
Thanks for the Big-K plug, they really deserve it, great family and behind us 100%
Kelly, my Gas Gas is a great bike, it just had a bad part part.

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
Hi guys and you to Bundy. I don’t think you will need the IV this year Bundy but you might look into grip heaters. I don’t know if I will race this year or help with the race. Hey Bundy is you bringing the wife and kids or are you doing the bomb run?

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Update: Finished the latest expert sections. "For Pity's Sake" and "Flounder" have been added to Sunday's menu.
The 100mph Downhill will be quite, uh, interesting on both days.
Cycle News ran my press release "In the Wind" last week.
Having the WORCS race in Washougal the week before is good, there will be some east-coast Pros coming since there are two races back to back.

HARDKOREKELLY

Nov 12, 2001
Angry Jim and I cant go now because the outlaw scrambles have been rescheduled for that weekend. This sucks, we were looking forward to this race big time.

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
10/4 Kelly, you and about twenty other riders have cancelled due to the rescheduling. No worries, send me an email so I can get your money back to you. I don't blame anyone for this, scheduling is a bitch. I hope the Outlaw HS is worth it, I'll put up a race report after the Chicken. Good luck in the points.

Blackie Dave

Sep 26, 2002
To bad..., boys & girls! To bad that you'll miss this wag through the woods! The section called Flounder will be worth the price of admission, all by itself.

I took a short crew up there this weekend for it's last cleanout.

The experts will be grinning from ear to ear. The amateurs will be digging themselves out from under the pile of bikes at the bottom. You want some real honest-to-god deep woods? Oh YEA! You want a chance to roost your buddy with the slickiest, blackest, wettest, smelliest, ugliest slime in the PNW? Ooooh..., Gooey, Gooey!!

The junior's course is all burned in. Three grass tracks. A couple little bogs. A couple hill climbs (the one off of Wallys' little bridge will have the kids singing Christmas Carols!). We had a hard time getting the experts off it, Saturday!

The meadow is green. The course is new. Oregon's deep woods are in their prime. It's looking to be as good as it gets. registrations are piling up! IT'S GONNA BE GOOD!!!

Top Bottom