uncle red

Sep 14, 2002
I'm looking at a 2003 Gas Gas EC 300 for 5000$ out the door. I'm told it is a stock EC 300 and not the dealer edition. What all changes are on the dealer spec'd machine versus the stock EC 300? Any help here? Looking to buy soon. Thanks.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I stand to be corrected here, but I am pretty sure the DE is like the old XC model. That being it has a smaller flywheel, smaller charging system, and possibly more compression. Basically, it is the MXier version of the EC (punchier, not as smooth). You can quite easily make a "stock" EC into a
"DE" with a flywheel and stator assembly that is readily available from your dealer.

If you ride nasty terrain, then the EC model is likely better anyways, as it is smoother power delivery. If you want more punch, it is easy to get with the LTR jetting and powervalve cover (highly recommended)...if that's not enough, go for the flywheel and stator from the DE or MC (MX version).

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
That's a really good price on a great bike. Don't sweat the DE issue. For more info visit www.smackovermotorsports.com and check out "talking smack". It's a good place for GasGas info.

barkbuster67

Nov 6, 2002
look here uncle red, the dealer edition is what shows up in the US. it is stripped of the blinkers, horn, and other non essential items. you just put the dealer edition stickers on yourself. i have the 03 ec 300 and it is a fantastic bike in the woods. i ordered mine with the ohlins front suspension. that would be the only thing that makes it differant from stock. i'm from your neck of the woods, just an hour north. for the riding we have around here it makes life really easy. it is the ultimate cheater bike. where are you looking to purchase the bike from?

Mudshark

Jul 26, 2000
The DE or dealer's edition has a reduced wiring harness, more agressive ignition mapping and light flywheel. Gas Gas offers flywheel weights to customize the power delivery. The EC or euro spec bike has a heavy flywheel is equiped with a turn indicator/high low beam/horn perch and is wired for turn signals(optional). Both bikes have FMF fatty w/Turbinecore II spark arrestor, wiseco piston,Boysen reed system, nissen brakes and hydro clutch.
The Ohlins front fork is a 600.00 option. The stock fork for 2003 is a WP43mm. The stock fork fo 2004 is a Marzocchi Shiver.

uncle red

Sep 14, 2002
Of course, after I come home with a dealer edition 300 I see your post about a de300 with Ohlins. Not sure I even want to know how much. I ended up getting the de300 through a dealer in Negaunee Michigan, wich is only an hour and a half from me. The ce300 I was looking at cost a couple hundred less, but was 300 miles away. Any way, broke the bike in as soon as I got it home. Went for our annual labor day weekend rides. Saturday put on 60 milesof easy trail, two track,and gravel/sand roads, played around in the mines for a little while to. Took it easy on the new bike as the ride was led by a buddy on his Kramerized KLR650. Gave the bike a good going over saturday night,a couple of slightly loose front spokes was about it. Sunday was letter rip time. lots of tight stuff, mostly first gear on the ktm, but Icould take a lot of it in second on the GasGas. Happy with the bike so far, nice power, could use a little more on top,but nice roll on off the bottom. Hey barkbuster67, where you at? I work up the mill at Sagola.

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
Uncle Red: if you bought a great bike like the DE 300 from a dealer that you like,thats close enough to help/serve you-"BE HAPPY MAAAN!!!" I don't think that the olins are that much better than a set of WP's forks that are tuned for your riding style. Most of us can't ride anywhere near the potential that these bikes can deliver. Please don't take this as an insult,because it's just some consolling words.

uncle red

Sep 14, 2002
No insult taken. I'm just fanatical on buying the most for the least. I'm very happy with the bike, and am looking foward to getting it dialed in.

barkbuster67

Nov 6, 2002
uncle red, i purchased my ride from the same dealer. great bunch of guys. this is my second gas gas. the 300 ec is the best bike i have ever had. period. i'm down in gladstone, but do most of my riding on the sands plains. i'm sure you know the spot. have fun on the new ride. if your not totally happy with the motor, ask the guys at the shop what to do. the only thing i have done is to go 2 teeth bigger on the rear and installed an ltr jetting kit along with a larger power valve cover. this thing is a tractor. closest thing there is to a 4 stroke.

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
Barkbuster: you forgot to tell him that it's way better than a four stroke!! Just a sec! He owns one now-he'll find out soon enough ,once he get's a few rides under his belt.u/red-this is the kind of bike that takes a bit of adjustment getting used to it, but as you do-you will love it more and more. As long as you got it to be a cross country weapon,and not a high strung mxer!!

uncle red

Sep 14, 2002
Hey, C.R.&B.B. I definetly like the 2/4 stroke aspect of the bike. Kinda remindes me of my old KDX 250/310. you could ride it on the survival single track like a tractor, and getter on the pipe on the two track/gravel sections. I could keep up to the mx gang and then leavem on the tight stuff. That was a while ago, now most of my trail time is spent training nephews, nieces,my boy, ect. So I wanted a bike that would be happy putsin around with the younger kids, but be able to get a move on with the older boys.It's a proud time chasing my 16 year old nephew through some tight rollercoaster single track and realizing that when I make a mistake I have to work on catching him again. As far as hopups go I hear the LTR jet kit and bigger PV. cover make an improvement. I'll prbably try it without the intake spacer too.

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
Red: from what i've heard, the ltr stuff works real well. I haven't seen the need to add them to my bike yet - it just runs to good they way it is set up now. removing the carb spacer apparently gives the bike a huge explosive hit. I don't know about you but the fact that the EC doesn't have a big arm yank in the mid range is just what I love about the engine. once you get used to traveling quickly through a section with out all the wheel spin/yank/wheelie action,you really appreciate how much less effort that is needed just to stay on the bike. this trait of the EC is worth its weight in gold to me.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I can verify that the LTR stuff works great. I've installed the jet kit and power valve cover on two bikes myself and have another freind that has it on his EC300. The jet kit adds alot to the midrange. The cover boosts the low end and compliments the increase in midrange that the jet kit gives.

Cactus is right about the joys of that smooth power. Really shines when the going gets nasty.

uncle red

Sep 14, 2002
Hey all, The jet kit/p.v. cover combo sounds like just what I'm lookin for, more of what it's allready got. As for the BIG HIT[spacer removal] My main bikes latley have been open classers, cr 500 kx500,440exc[darn I love that bike!] fortunatly the stable includes enough super single track bikes to,kdx200 xr200 xr250.That was one of the reasons I bought this bike, tractor low, strong mid, and just pull a spacer when riding the open range. Can any of you give me some advice on what skid plates your all runnin? also any info on anything relating to the Gas-Gas 300..Thanks again

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
check out www.gasgasrider.org for info/crossover parts etc. www.smackovermotorsports.com has a very good forum just full of info on GG's. GG has taken the old theory ( AMC tried it in a very watered down way with the jeeps etc) of days of old,of using every "best" part that they could find,and building a world class motorcycle from them.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
As far as skid plates, CRD ones are quite nice, but alas the N. American importer closed up shop. I have heard that there is another Euro company making a nice plate that is going to be coming to N. America, but not sure the name. Check with Jim at Smackover or Les at LTR, either will set you up.

As far as other 300 stuff, my next purchases will be the LTR rad braces and case saver. I've seen both, well made and good insurance. Many run the longer "dog bones" for the suspension, but I haven't found the need.

The GasGas does like a lot of rear sag. Suggest you start around 105mm and go up and down from there.

DahlElama

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2001
I don't have a GG300 but I do have an '01 GG250. I agree that the LTR Jetting and PV Cover are an excellent combo. Want a little more low end and more top end as well? You can get it with the Doma pipe. I just put one on my XC250 and it is like cheating. Even better low end, smooth transition through the mid and a top end pull that will really suprise you.

I also run the CRD Skid plates and frame gaurds but the other posts here are correct, they aren't coming into the US anymore. Are you running the stock Hebo bars? If you are looking for some bar clamps that move the bars forward and up I have a set that I just took off (I recently mounted a BRP upper triple clamp and Pro-Tapers).

Congrats on the new bike!

uncle red

Sep 14, 2002
Hey all, Thanks for all the info, and help. I've got about 125 miles on the bike now and am very happy so far. I'ts fun to take a ride on the KDX 200(2001 snorkle removed FMF pipe and silenced, jetted) and the 1995 KTM440. I get off the KDX and think,where the heck did the power go? Then I,ll get off the 440 and think,what's with the on off switch power band. The Gas-Gas is a great bike, nice power spread and delivery, compared to the other two. And also nimble like the KDX, but stable like the KTM. The weather turned a little colder latley, from the 70's to the 50's. Last time out it sounded like a rattle, tock,tock,tock, when gassing it from quarter throttle. Would it be octane,jetting ect? I'm not the mcguiverist.

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
The chain slider on the swingarm is made from a hard plastic and the chain will slap against this making the sound you describe. My chain slaps around much less since I installed the LTR chain guide, but still slaps against the hard plastic chain slider on occasion. I wish I could find a hard rubber unit like honda makes to replace the one that comes stock - the rubber dampens the impact and sound a bit...

jeff
www.lt-racing.com LTR - GasGas Performance Products
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Rider's Club

Top Bottom