spodeguy

Mar 1, 2002
honda's website has the previews of the 2003 models, and we all know what we are waiting for....not the CRF250, maybe next year. but the new CR125! it looks identical to the 2002 but i guess its got a new engine, re-engineered they say. are any of you anxious to throw a leg over this bike? it won't be out until september but soon the magazines will be covering them. what should we all expect for the '03 CR125? i'm betting this bike will HAUL!!

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
I will definetly like to see what honda has in store for the new bike. It looks awsome and they probably just tweeked the suspension seeing as it was good last year. If they get the engine down they will have the best mx'er out there. I wonder how many bikes will have aluminum frames for 03..Hmmmm??
Marc

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
it would be hard to have less.29hp from a modern 125 must be harder to get than 33hp.I would have to look for ways to loose power to get to 29hp.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
I doubt honda have got the engine much faster-its been bad since 97 so i wonder how long it will take?

LOL marcus give Honda some credit. At least they were the first ones to the aluminum frame. Hey I would love a Honda but as of the current 125 mxers from Honda, the engines just pushes me away from Honda and into Yamaha territory. Honda IMHO is working very hard to provide us the buyers with brand new ideas and technology, now if only they could put some of that knowledge into the engine everything would be good.
Marc

spodeguy

Mar 1, 2002
since the date of the new CR125 is being pushed back, something must be going on with honda? honda is tired of hearing people complain about the lack of the motor and having the magazines say that too. honda is not stupid and i bet this is the year honda will have a motor that is up to par with the yamaha.

Rider 007

Feb 10, 2000
I don't ride 125's, but I did notice that the 450 and 250 will be available in July and the 125 won't be out until September. I doubt that they need the extra 2 months for BNG.
And as far as the minor changes on the spec sheet, they could put a totally new engine in it and it wouldn't necessarily be reflected on spec sheet.
Perhaps they have a surprise for those of you who want one! (and maybe not!)

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
It's the CR 125's and CR 80's 85's turn this time around to get the make over the 250 and 450 stole all of the R&D funds for '02.

spy-yamaha

Feb 24, 2002
That is very true MXP1mp. I just don't think honda is worth my money. It has no motor. The suspension isnt really anything better than the Yamaha. It will take Honda a lot longer to fix their 125 motor.

spodeguy

Mar 1, 2002
It will take Honda a lot longer to fix their 125 motor

why do you say that spy-yamaha? look what yamaha did back to the 96 YZ125. it was an all new machine from the 95 models? honda can do the same with the '03's. they have everything dialed in for the rest of the bike except for the motor. all the money they are putting in for R&D is the motor. hopefully honda has something up there sleeves for the new CR. it even says that on its website about the CR125...go look.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Don't turn this into a my bike is better than your bike flame, I had an '01 CR 125 and now I got an '02 YZ. I liked both bikes alot, I think the '03 KX 125 is gonna be the dark house of the 125 class as long as that is the preproduction bike we've seen. I'm sure the '03 CR is gonna rock as long as the bike pics up a broader power band I'm gonna get one or maybe a KX if that happens who wants my yz? ;)

Jul 12, 2000
My predictions for the '03 CR125:
I think Honda will make minor changes to the basic engine design, but modify their current cylinder for the use of the electronically controlled powervalve like the ones on my NSR and the Honda RS series GP bikes. I think they will also do slight changes to the powervalve design to make it more effecient, but maintain the basic design. They may also change the head design to be more like the RS roadracer.

Just for reference, the 2001 RS 125 is rated at 43hp in production form. If this design trickles down to the CR... :p

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
The engine could use some more tweeking. I'd have to agree that if they're redoing anything it's probably going to be the engine. Honda is not a dumb company. They know where to put their money and energy when it comes to revamping their bikes. They've been a tough competitor for a long time, for a reason. So far they've never let me down, but then again I don't expect much until I've seen what they have to offer. I never have used the rumor mill as my source of information and I'm not about to start now. I'm just going to wait until Fall. It is fun to wonder though. :)

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Why don't they just copy Preston's engine? Seems to me the old design still has potential.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
sounds good to me execpt they really cant copy his engine. Works bikes have so many parts on them that we cant get our hands on to make our bikes "faster". They will fix the engine up, they have to, thats the only thing left on the bike that they really HAVE to change.
Marc

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
How many times has Kawie said that there 125 will have more power? Yet every year it gets slower and slower than the '93, which would probably smoke every KX125 since then. It seems as though the CR125 has been getting slower every year since '95 too. I wonder if all the Honda teams are still using 95 cylinders? They must have went out and bought every used 95 CR125 they could find to scab the cylinder off it since last I heard they superceeded the 95 part # to use a newer cylinder.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by marcusgunby
Vic is preston using the pre 99 top ends?

I don't know, but if that's where the power is, Honda should go back to them.

Top Bottom