2003 kdx still great trailbike?

maui

Apr 22, 2002
I have had it with motocross due to injuries.Have been trying to enjoy riding the local tight trails with friends on my crf450r. Struggleing, stalling and overheating is all I do compared with my friends on cr250 hondas. One buddy suggested I get a kdx200 or 220 as they are one of the best ez to ride true trailbikes around and make tight trails a comparative breez. Added to the fact they are reasonably priced this sounds great. All the reviews I have seen are old so can you guys fill me in on how the bikes stand in 2003?

XRDadKDXBeni

Aug 27, 2002
We have a 2002 KDX220 and it is a fine woods bike. Our riding area encompasses, dusty trails, mud trails, hills, hard clays, soft dirt, you name it, we got it, except for mountains. The bike is rock solid and appears to be very reilable. I ride an XR250 and it is no match for the power of the 220. The 220 has a smaller carb than the 200 and therefore a bit more torque, otherwise, the bikes are basically identical. Hope this helps. XRDad

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
Tell me again about how you are suffering through using a CR450 on the trails in Maui. I'll bet all that sun gets really hot some days, but not often, and do you get rain for 5 or 10 minutes in the afternoon? Ahhhh... Let me ride in Maui and I'd be happy on an old TM400 Suzuki or an older SL125 turtle chaser. Anyway, I haven't heard a complaint from a KDX200 rider.

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
Just spend some time browsing through this forum. You'll see that they are great bikes with a loyal following. You'll also see that a few--reasonably priced--modifications wake the bike up. You won't understand what a great resource this forum is, however, until after you get your KDX.

In my opinion, for trail riding (as opposed to hard-core racing) the KDX's can't be beat. This may be because they are really the only 2-stroke that fits the bill (KTMs are aimed at racing and I've never seen a Gas Gas or TM out on the trails). I'd rather mix my gas than have to lug a heavy 4-stroke around.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
maui,
I bought a 2002 KDX200 a few months ago and it is the best off road racing bike I have ever owned.

I have been riding for almost 30 years and have had Rickmans,Pentons, Husqvarna,Honda, Suzuki,KTM,etc. Nothing handled as well on the tight and rugged Hare Scrambles tracks here in Vermont as the KDX. I do a lot of single track and it is superb.

Go to www.frpoffroad.com and see what Hall of Famer Jeff Fredette rides.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
I agree as well .i'ts a great bike ,i have 0 complaints.the kdx's nickname should be "the performer",no matter what i do or happens, at the end of the day we're back at the truck w a smile on my face.95 on,i believe not much has changed.03 it's still the "performer" jmo

rmacdona

Mar 10, 2002
Am on my second KDX220 (never should have sold the first one), also own a DRZ 400s (turned into a dirt machine). I prefer and am much faster on the KDX and would recommend it to anyone interseted in enjoying a nice dirt ride while having the ability to step it up when one so desires (especially that has 2 stroke experience so they know what to expect). Also seems to be bullet proof. But get out and try one before you buy (I would also ride a DRZ 400 if you can, which when set up right is a lot of fun also)
Rick

Last edited:

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I can't imagine a KDX ever being anything but a great bike - wears like a pair of Levi's !! :thumb: I've owned 3 of them - That will tell you what I think.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
My bike turns into a bit of a test bike sometimes and not one person who's been out on it (okay, I lie, there's been one who complained about the height) has come back saying "what a pos". It's a 99 kdx200 with pretty much everything done to it, except I haven't managed to get Ohlins forks & shock for it (no, it's not on the list but I'm thinking of KX125 forks for it if I can get them cheap enough) or done any porting/engine mods or bored the carb out.
The people who have tried it out have been ex-enduro riders through to fairly new riders. I know of 3 who are seriously thinking about getting one after that (one just sold his quad so was thinking about buying a kdx, another rides an RMX & used to race KDX's back in the 80s in enduros & the other is a fairly new female rider who rides a DT200 or something like that).
I also know of numerous guys who are onto their 2nd+ kdx (I think one's onto his 6th or so).
EBOD, my husband rides his TM on the trails & is happy with it. I also know of a couple of GG's who trailride/race enduros/harescrambles. (have to admit my husband also races enduros & harescrambles these days & does much better now on the TM250 than he did on the KTM360), but we've got the KDX to thank for that, as he realised there were better bikes for him to look at than the 360 for what sort of riding we do. The TM's had a flywheel weight added & lights (but is a mix of enduro & mx bike to start with - thanks to the NZ importer).
And yes, I love my bike too and can't imagine what I'll get next.
Hope that helps some but the best way is to try one out.
Michelle

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
Maui,

I noticed you asked if the 2003 was STILL a great trail bike, And yes it has to be a great trailbike also because it is EXACTLY the same as it's predecessors except a few color changes and BOLD NEW GRAPHICS as usual. Still the same great bike underneath though.

Obie#8 ;)

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
No changes between the '02-'03 model year except for what ^ he said.

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Maui, I've got an '01 200 that I just love! The thing is a lot tougher than I am and aside from some bolt on mods, I've really not added a whole lot to it. If you're looking for "the best woods bike on the planet" here it is my man!

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Maui, Where do you live on Maui? The wife and I have been there a few times; and we love it. I have a '01 KDX 220 and I love it. I have added some basic mods to it like: pipe /silencer, air box mods, and using race fuel. With these simple mods(to which most people add anyway) I keep up with my buddy who rides a '01 YZ250, in the woods. It sure is peppy now. I hope all of these loyal followers help you to make a wise decision. Good luck.

:yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I have owned 4 KDX's for myself dating back to a KDX-175 whenever that was. I now have a 2001 KDX-200, basically stock, which is the best of the lot. The basic question question you need to answer for yourself is do you want to spend your time out on the trails riding or at home working on something else! Fun and reliable trailbike.

bhiner

Sponsoring Member
May 12, 2002
I just purchased an 02 kdx200 this spring and love it!
All I have done are the basic mods...pipe & silencer, air box mod, but no internalls, I do run race gas.
The bike starts on the first kick every time and is a dream to ride compared to my old four-stroke.
I have a friend who races a Gas Gas 300 and the KDX eats his lunch.
Considering he has spent about $3000 more than I and had to crack the case on his already he's really "Green" with envy.

kdxjr

Jan 2, 2002
Before I traded bikes, I would try smaller sprockets that would tone down the hit when you are in tight woods.

mbern3

Aug 26, 2002
I just bought a new 2002 kdx 220..........there apparently aren't any differences between the two. I put an FMF gnarly pipe and FMF spark arrestor, it's actual name slips my mind right now, but it is wonderful.
I currently have the stock 13 tooth front sprocket, but plan on replacing with a 12 tooth to get a little more low end. Try the pipe first then decide if anything else is needed, would be my suggestion. This is my second kdx, had a 1992 250, when i sold it i voweled to get another, it like a dream come true. I hope you enjoy it as much too.

jc

Sep 22, 2001
I have had three of them, the last one being a 96 that I still ride! Never been touched but I think I may give it a new piston this winter. I tried ktm's and while a great bike I'll take my kdx any day for everyday real world riding. If you want some more pep after make the standard bolt on changes try a free one- turn down the flywheel on a lathe. Take about have of the material off and you will feel the difference. (I also have the stealthy flywheel add on weight when its really sloppy.)

miro47

Sep 28, 2002
Ibought my first KDX 220 in May 2002,and it is the best woods bike I ever owned,stock set up, Milanracing pipe&silencer, Acerbis skid plate,
Rally pro handguards ,disc guards.I use pre-mix Amsoil 100:1
KDX is exelent and reliable trailbike !!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…