jat123

Jun 19, 2000
Just moved son from Yamaha to KTM, racing mx. I would like to send the suspension to a local shop but I am hearing that the PDS requires special tools that my suspension guy doesn't have. Specifically a bleeder system to get all the air out of the shock.
Any truth to this? I really would hate to have to ship the suspension off everytime a rebuild is needed.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
The most important part of the PDS is a properly bleed shock and Yes you need a bleed tank. If you get it valved by a good shop you should only have to send it out for a fast oil change at the season end.

Important with a KTM put some good hours on the bike as the suspension takes a good while to break in.

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
jat123, www.marshallsracing.com in Stillwater has one. Marshall Plumb is a former factory mechanic who has won the prestigious AMA "mechanic of the year." He's in Stillwater, OK.

I've heard that ProPrivateer in Ft. Worth has one but I can't confirm that.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
It requires more than just the bleeder-check any tuner has all the tools-although if he has the pump he should be able to afford the other bits.

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
jat123,
Marshall just got his bleeder pump (Coop bought it for him) and he will admit that he doesn't know the KTM stuff yet. Curtis has one but does 99% off-road stuff. If you have Jer do it, then you can always take it to Curtis for the oil change. Jer has his own valving. No one knows KTM's like he does. JT rode the bike, just break down and send it off to MX-Tech!
There is a reason Jer does the KTM Amateur Team suspension!!!
It DOES make a difference!
And don't listen to cp380 he is just an old MX'r. They didn't even have knobbies back when he started riding!!!! LOL!!!

D

jossbuk

Mar 5, 2002
Jeremy. I have heard about this piston allignment tool. But if the 2 piston are a slide fit on the 16mm shaft what do they do exactly...

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
Joss,
The pistons are a slide fit....a loose slide fit. The alignment tool insures that the two pistons are as closely aligned to the seal head (and it's guide bushing) as possible.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Its my understanding the Cooper is a KTM rep, which would facilitate him being able to get the bleed pump.

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by IBWFO

And don't listen to cp380 he is just an old MX'r. They didn't even have knobbies back when he started riding!!!! LOL!!!

It's true, my first race bike was a 1971 Honda SL 70. :)

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
That's fine that he's a KTM rep, still doesn't mean that he can get something that isn't available. Jeremy Wilkey wanted eight of them and couldn't get them.

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
Joss,
The pump is a hydraulic unit that flows oil through the shock to remove trapped air. I've seen pictures and an instruction book for it but I don't think you would be able to easily or economically produce one. Not saying that it can't be done, but you would have to do a lot of shocks to justify the expense.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
It would be interesting to see if the pump gets more air out than my system-i used to bleed into a chamber until no more air was seen-then create a big vacuum at the top of the bleed chamber-leave for 5 minutes and then remove vacuum-loads of air would come out of the already bleed oil-not out the shock-out of the oil itself.Then pull the shaft back out the shock and that degassed oil would fill the shock.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
well i built mine for about £5-i used a large syringe(60ml) to get the vacuum-it amazing how big a vacuum you can get if you suck really hard ;)

Esp1

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 14, 2001
Marcus,

How do you set the IFP(N2 piston) to the desired position after you have bled the shock your way? Just courious... :silly:

BR

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Esp good question-its been since early 01 since i done a PDS-so im going on memory-i think i initially set the piston to 20mm from bottomed-then i vacuum the shock with the N2 capped(it screw tightened)then i realease the vacuum and pull the shock shaft out(the seal head is also deep inside)once the shaft is fully extended i set the N2 piston to 10mm(or is it 5mm?)then i refit the comp adjuster and gas it up.

Now going on from this method-why on earth did anyone invent a shock that needs this much work to just change the oil??it just seems plain stupid to me-its a bit like making a engine/gearbox in a car out of a single block.

Top Bottom