fishes2001

Jul 28, 2009
I'm interested in buying a 2003 Kawasaki KX 500. I've only been trail riding once but this bike is about the best deal I've found and I have a hard time passing on it. I've got a friend who races and advises me that this may not be the best bike for beginners. I'm 24 years old, 6'4", 200 lbs. and have a need for speed. I've also been looking at 2005-2006 RM(Z) 250's. I was just hoping for a few more opinions on the subject.

Thanks to any suggestions.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Your friend understated it. This is definitely not a good bike for a beginner.

When you went trail riding that one time, what did you ride?

As for your need for speed, unless you are riding on a lake bed or sand dunes you don't need anywhere near that much power to achieve a speed that your skill won't be able to handle for quite some time. For most types of riding the overall speed comes from your ability to handle the bike, not from your ability to hold the throttle open.

When you get to a technical section of a trail your ability to apply just the right amount of power is critical. A 125cc two stroke usually has enough power but you have to really work it to keep it in the power band. A 250cc generally has enough power that you have to be careful not to loop the bike when climbing a steep hill. I just can't imagine handling a 500cc two stroke in its power band when finesse is key.

What I can imagine is how difficult starting that beast will be. I can kick my 125cc all day and not have a problem. My 250cc is easy to start when I am fresh but after a few hours of hard riding my legs just don't have the kick any more. One time I rode a 400cc two stroke and I just can't see myself starting that thing when I am tired and stuck on the side of a hill.

If I was you I would focus on those 250s and forget the 500.

Rod

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Check out the thread "Big Bore 2 strokes". I just left several replies on that thread on the same subject. A 500 2 stroke is NOT A BEGINNERS BIKE! The other guy was a bit thick in the head and didnt really listen to anyone. I told him to get a good insurance policy...hopefully, you will listen better than he did.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
2stroker144 said:
hey he's 6'4 and 200 pounds, he needs something bigger then a 125 ts.
Really? I'm 6-2 and 200 (more now!) but had plenty of fun on a 125 2 stroke, super fun bikes.

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
he'll outgrow the power of a 125 soon enough(depending on how much you will ride) and will probably upgradeto a 250 anyway, so why not but one to start off with?

fishes2001

Jul 28, 2009
Well thanks alot for the feedback. The consensus certainly seems to be that a 500 is not for amateurs. I was only looking to get the most bang for my buck so to speak. The KX is being sold for $3250 and most 250 cc bikes of the same year or a couple years newer are going for around $3500 and up (note: the price is higher than most listed on here because I'm in Canada).

pscCRF10

Jul 31, 2009
a 250 2 stroke will work good. test drive a few bikes before you make your decision, stay away from any 500cc 2 stroke. Their not for the faint of heart. even if you have a "need for speed" lol have fun

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
I found the KX500 to be a very torquey motorcycle, and when I borrowed one, I pretty much skipped first & second gear, and kept it in third gear. I don't recall ever getting to fourth gear. Even third would kick the front tyre into the air with throttle.

Now I've got a '92 Yamaha WR500. It's no KX500. However it certainly will start driving itself if you get tired. Any little throttle movement in the bottom three gears results in either wheelspin or wheelie, both of which are detrimental to control when on a woods trail. I've already had one instance where I accidently blipped the throttle while trying to slow down for the curve, and my GPS logger showed my speed go from 14MPH to ZERO when I slammed into the tree next to the trail. Though fun, the 500 class takes a very carefully setup and deliberate kick to start: You have to position then piston at top-dead-center, then give it a full kick down & hard. Otherwise, it'll backfire and either break off the kickstart lever, tear your shoe in half, or pitch you over the handlebars.

The thrill for the 500 is the fire road ride: I can go from a stop to 80 MPH in seven seconds. (That's the fastest I've gone so far before running out of straightaway). I've never pinned the throttle in first gear, and never even in second gear. In third gear, wide-open throttle either lofts the front tire by a foot or so, or else it spins whilst accelerating crazily.

If you are looking to just have fun in the woods, the 250 class is a much better choice. I got my 500 purely out of a sense of nostalgia. A more practical bike for me would probably have been a KDX200 or a mid-90's Yamaha WR250. If you really want a good mix of power & suspension, well, the Yamaha YZF450 is a pretty tough machine to beat. They have gobs of controllable torque down low and a much more developed suspension than any of the 500 two-strokers, save the Service Honda machines.

cr125matt

Jul 26, 2009
what you will learn with experience is its not about the power the bike has its the experience of the rider and i garruntee you that if you only went riding once you dont have the experience to push a bike to its fullest potential and a 500 would be way to powerfull, look into a 250 2 stroke or a 450 4 stroke maybe even a 250 four stroke

HeavyC

Apr 21, 2004
If you get the KX 500, make sure you have a friend close by to take you to the hospital!! It should take no more than 5 minutes......

FNG

May 2, 2008
2stroker144 said:
he'll outgrow the power of a 125 soon enough(depending on how much you will ride) and will probably upgradeto a 250 anyway, so why not but one to start off with?

FWIW I have 2 seasons on my 95' YZ250 and while I am learning, if I had to do it over again I would have bought a 2003> YZ 125. At his point I would be ready for a 144 big bore and that woud be plenty for me IMO. I am 6'4 and 215#. For the track the 250 is more than my abilities can use, even with a flywheel weight and good jetting, or will probably ever use since I am on the downhill side of 40. But in the woods I can use most of the power. I have 35 years on a snowmobile and 10+ on 3 and 4 wheelers with 2 and 4 stroke motors. I get out and ride a track probably 5-7 times per season with some woods riding in between.

FNG

May 2, 2008
HeavyC said:
If you get the KX 500, make sure you have a friend close by to take you to the hospital!! It should take no more than 5 minutes......

X2! LOL

I rode a 1993 KX 500 back in the mid 90's on a dirt road and it was a fricken death ride for sure!

I got off in under 5 minutes:)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom