threesons

May 16, 2003
I have looked at both bikes and they seem to be the same. Is the KX and the RM built by the same Co. Are there any big differences between the two that you can't see without riding them? Any help here would be helpful. This bike is for my 9 yr. old son. He is moving up from an auto-transmission bike. He wants to ride like the big boys.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The only difference is the color. They both started life as KX65's but due to the Kawasaki/Suzuki merger each company got bikes they never had before ie. Suzuki ended up with a RM65 and 100 while Kawasaki ended up with a KLX 400.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Yup, the only difference is the plastics. I have heard somewhere that Suzuki makes more durable fenders but I dont know. So pick a color really..

I believe from RM/KX 60-65-85-100, Suzuki and Kawasakis are the same exact things besides plastics.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by Tiylu
I believe from RM/KX 60-65-85-100, Suzuki and Kawasakis are the same exact things besides plastics.

The 85's are completely different bikes. Any bikes that each company had their own model i.e 85, 125 and 250's stayed brand unique. They only shared models the other didn't already have. Also the KX250F/RMZ250 are the first jointly produced bike in the merged corporation so it is also an identical bike.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
well do you race? if your kid gets up front there are big different contingencie $$$ but if you check one out you'll notice the engine number starts our with KX******

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Originally posted by Chili

The 85's are completely different bikes. Any bikes that each company had their own model i.e 85, 125 and 250's stayed brand unique. They only shared models the other didn't already have. Also the KX250F/RMZ250 are the first jointly produced bike in the merged corporation so it is also an identical bike.

I wouldnt say completely different. A KX 85 is completely diffrent from a CR 85 powerwise, but the KX 85 and RM 85 ride almost identical. While the YZ and CR ride similar. The RMs and KXs have the low end - mid power where the YZ and CR have the mid-top power, but the makes arent really the same.

so when coming down to deciding between a low end - mid end power 85, there really isnt that much differnce between an rm and a kx. suzuki has the contengency programs and such, but its really a color prefrence.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by Dogman5
I wouldnt say completely different.

I guess I needed to be more specific for some. The KX and RM are completely different bikes in that they are manufactured in different factories and use different parts that will not interchange between the bikes. I never considered the riding positions or power characteristics into the factor when stating that they were different bikes. I guess I should also clarify that while I stated the parts aren't interchangeable the tires would actually be usable on either model. :silly:

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Originally posted by Chili

I guess I needed to be more specific for some. The KX and RM are completely different bikes in that they are manufactured in different factories and use different parts that will not interchange between the bikes. I never considered the riding positions or power characteristics into the factor when stating that they were different bikes. I guess I should also clarify that while I stated the parts aren't interchangeable the tires would actually be usable on either model. :silly:

Sorry, I thought we were talking about the powerwise differences. Yeah, I'm not arguing about that. My mistake, I thought you were talking about the RMs and KXs being completely different when it comes to the way they ride, I was unaware you were reffering to the manufacturing of the bikes. My mistake :(

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom