2003 Pw50, Throttle Cable Installtion Issues

yzflyer88

Dec 11, 2014
HI, I have a 2003, pw50, that needed a throttle installation. I ordered everything OEM parts for it. Here is my problem. I have tried to install it from both ends of the bike. It always seems to be around 2'' too short to work. I have tried starting from the pump, carb, then running forwards to the line that connects to the throttle one the handlebars. Throttle cable, and pump cable simply come up around 2'' too short to make the connection there. On the other hand, I have started from the handlebar throttle, make the connection where the pump & throttle go into the slide. Run the line to the pump, (which when I do fight to get it installed, has the pump held wide open), again, coming up about 2'' short. Run the throttle cable through the routing line, that drops in to carb. only to reveal about a 1/4 of the line dropping through to make your connection to your needle.....obviously, not enough. The only thing that seems to be long enough is the choke itself. If I could only get the throttle cable to reach, I would do away with the pump and premix the gas myself. Long story and a bit confusing I know, but has anyone had any trouble with this? Is the cable just too short?
20141211_1430401_zps8c4ea585.jpg

This is when I work my way from the back, to the front. I end up having this much left over, to connect to the slide. You can pull out maybe an inch from here, which isn't enough to run through the slide, and connect to the throttle cable, running to the handlebar.
20141211_1430191_zpsb23ac3e0.jpg

This is connected to the pump, working from pump to front. looks good, only to come up short, like the above picture. ON the contrary, if I start from the front and go back to here, the pump itself, once hooked the cable, is left gapped wide open....no room to swivel back to the starting point.
20141211_1429561_zps35096312.jpg

This image, is also, working from the rear to the front. This actually looks good, and how things should be done, but, its not with the front connected....I installed the carb, and end up having the top picture in the end. just not enough to connect. If I were start from the front of the bike, and work my way back, the throttle cable ends up almost being as long as the choke cable in this picture here.

Im going back out now, and work on it some more....I will work my way from the front of the bike and take pictures as well. Thanks in advance for anyones help. Have a good day

yzflyer88

Dec 11, 2014
20141211_1731211_zps4a90acb7.jpg

Throttle & Pump cables, going in the slide.
20141211_1724541_zpsf45b5bd5.jpg

Assembled.
20141211_1725321_zps4bb59105.jpg

"Slack" to play with.
20141211_1736191_zps0d8ca6af.jpg

another shot of the throttle slack.
20141211_1753291_zps3a1ab8a3.jpg

Pump, with cable attached. Hard to see, but its only letting it return to the starting point about 1/4 of the way.
20141211_1753561_zps015eb116.jpg

This is the final result for the choke, and the throttle. haven had any problem with the choke, it being a independent line. But the throttle, that isn't enough slack to connect the slide and needle to it, and that is all the slack it is giving.

This work here is done from the front of the bike, working towards the rear while. I do not have the cable attached to the twist throttle, because I am trying to get max slack I can. But, if I were to get this to work, I bet it would come up short on the twist throttle. I don't understand.....every throttle cable I have looked at for a pw50 is the same since the 80's.....would I be better off trying to get the single throttle line installed, or does someone know where I am messing this up? Thanks In Advance. Have a good night.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Looks like you are doing everything right... it is possible the package was mis-labeled and you got the wrong cable. Not likely but worth comparing the cables with another.

PW's are typically very easy to work on. It's got to either be the wrong cable or something so simple that once it jumps out and bites you you are going to have a real good laugh.

Ivan

yzflyer88

Dec 11, 2014
Thanks for the reply. Almost certain, its the same cable that came off of it. Someone previous to me cut the cable from the carb. Most likely, I'm going to be getting the single cable and start premixing the gas myself. Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks again!

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Not sure if you are racing the PW but if you cut the line and do not use the injector it is not eligible for AMA sanctioned events (it's been awhile since I heard this so double check with your AMA district).

Ivan

yzflyer88

Dec 11, 2014
Well, Ordered another throttle cable from a different company, it came in today. Everything went on good, now I have another problem. I went ahead and put a new carb. on the bike in this process. Now I am having trouble connecting the hose from the oil pump to the carb. I cannot seem to get what I call a "roll pin", its a bronze/copper colored piece of metal that wraps around the hose. and I'm thinking you squeeze it tight, place it in the carb, and as it rolls back to it original position, it seals the hose in place. In the last picture i posted above, you can see the hose hanging below the carb. with the metal piece wrapped around it. it goes in the hole beside the idle screw. anyone have any tips, or tricks to get this into place? do i just need to get a brand new one since the old might just not be perfectly circular?

yzflyer88

Dec 11, 2014
well, even after getting 2, new "clips" as they refer to them as. I could not get it and the hose to insert into the card. I just capped off the lines from the reservoir, to the pump, and capped off the hole in the carb. mixed the gas in the tank, and its up and running. Funny thing though. I have heard a lot of people comment that a pw50 takes awhile to crank, which is how it is in my case. But, for some odd reason, if I pull the spark plug out, kick it a few times, put the plug back in. It will fire up on the 2nd kick. ha! probably a jet issue, but then again I thought, maybe it needed more oxygen in the head? Idk, weird.

Fryerdiesel

Dec 6, 2020
Hey yzflyer88, Did you ever figure out why the 1st cable wouldn't work? Wondering if it was the wrong one. I also am having a lot of difficulty with the throttle cable installation on my daughter's 1992 PW50. It's connected to both ends but the problem is no matter which way I try to route it, (already tried about 6 different combinations) it's too tight for the throttle return spring to close it all the way so. the rpms don't come down. I thought it basically stayed in the center of the frame where the wiring harness is but the plastic housing connecting the single throttle cable to both the carburetor cable and the oil pump cable, seems to be hanging up there. This is EXTREMELY frustrating! Thanks.

Top Bottom