Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Thought I'd start a new thread specific to the upcoming Rites of Spring weekend. It's only about 2 months away!

There were a few questions in another thread about the OHM Safety Training class for kids under 16. I called the CCC, and found out that they are offering it 3 different sessions that weekend, with a possible 4th if the demand is there.

Current sessions are Friday afternoon (5/2), Saturday (5/3) morning, and again Saturday afternoon. If enough kids sign up, the fourth would be held sometime Sunday. The training lasts approximately 4 1/2 hours.

Registration for the safety training is done via phone. If interested, call Bill Chapin of the CCC at (517) 569-9999. An info packet will be sent out to all registered students sometime before the Rites weekend.

I signed Zach up for the Saturday morning training class, and plan on arriving sometime Friday evening.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Thanks Bill. I'll sigh up Erin for the morning class too. Then she can ride the kids loop the rest of the weekend. Nathan can hang out with her or ride the kids loop.I plan to take them both for a ride sunday on the bigger loop or aybe a ew more laps on the kids loop. i plan to get there Friday evening and leave on Sunday. I'll be in our RV.

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
I feel very lucky. I have been riding without a certificate and now that I will be 16 in a month, I won't need one!!!! HAHAHAHA!! I am such a rebel!!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Hey fred. You folks camping in the same area? I'm trying to talk wifey in to coming with stephy she's the same age as your erin. I only think she's intrested in the pool though? For the classes do they have rental bikes?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I've got Erin all signed up for the Sat afternoon class @ 1:00 PM. I'll have Nathan be in charge of her that day. Marlin -I don't know about rental bikes -one year Honda had a sh**load of Xr's there but I don't know how they were distributing their use and for what reason. We will be again camped in the same spot as last year just set bact farther to avoid all the dust from the a-holes that are pit racing going by our campers. We'll be doing a burger grill out Sat night at the campsite. My plan is to ride the entire loop ASAP 9 AM Sat Morning before the trail gets all beat up and then on Sunday I'll be taking the kids out for riding maybe a short loop on the "Adult" loop and a few loops on the Kids loop -what ever they want. On Sat they can mess around on the kids loop. Maybe Aaaron will want to hang out with Nathan on Sat and just ride the kids loop -he rode it a lot last year and seemed to enjoy it.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Just reading this thread has got me all riled up! Do you guys know how close this is getting - I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!
Anyone thinking of taking a little side trip on the MCCCT up to Caberfe' to get out of the "traffic jam" let me know ahead of time. It is a beautiful ride if you have the time.
Otherwise, looking forward to meeting some of you for the first time!
Woodsy

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by woodsy
... Anyone thinking of taking a little side trip on the MCCCT up to Caberfe' to get out of the "traffic jam" let me know ahead of time. It is a beautiful ride if you have the time.
Having never been to Rites, I'll be following the group's lead. Are the mainstream trails/loops just nuts on this weekend?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by Smit-Dog

Having never been to Rites, I'll be following the group's lead. Are the mainstream trails/loops just nuts on this weekend?

bILL

It's not bad really Bill if you get started early on Saturday. You beat the crowds and dust somewhat and the CCC grooms the route just before the event so the whoops are not too bad either. The loop is one way traffic, they run one direction on Saturday and then turn around on Sunday. After the event id all done they susally have between 700 and 800 riders for both days so you can imagine what a late start can do - lots of traffic to pass and tons of dust plus whooped out trails. I think the main loop is about 100 trail miles and there is a few cutoffs to shorten it if you don't want to ride that much. I want to do the whole thing to get in shape + it's pretty cool trail. I always enjoy it -it's one of my favorite rides every year.

dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
Smit-Dog,
I rode on Sunday last year, and there was no dual sport requirements. I believe the buy permits so we can ride road sections legally. The thing is you have to go the direction of the ride if you are caught going the wrong way then you can get a ticket, also the frown on you riding the edge of the road, please ride the road on road sections. There are different cut offs if want to shorten the ride. Be sure to get a map before you leave and ask for help on the trail if your not sure where your at. Last year they had spotters at every road entry so if you needed to know where you were you could ask them. They also had food and gas on the trail. One of the gas runs you went downtown Baldwin. They also a group of guys and gals cooking hot dogs in the middle of the woods for eats on the trail if you were hungry. All in all it was one of the best trail rides all year. If you need a group to ride with just ask, there will be plenty of us there. I'm old and slow but some of the guys I ride with are on the faster side.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by dthoms
Smit-Dog,
I'm old and slow but some of the guys I ride with are on the faster side.

Don't let this guy kid you, he ain't slow! Hope to see you at there -stop by for a burger! Mine are becoming famous for some reason.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I’m not sure about stephy she most likely will just hang out with mom or who ever? I’d like to get her a XR100 but just haven’t happened yet. Last year I camped on the hill with my brother and the dust wasn’t to bad but it was really tough to get the camper leveled. I like the idea of being off the road a lot farther this year. I can make some more of those appetizers, like I did for the fall trailfest if you’d like? Who’s doing your gas for you? The Saturday loop is like 75 miles long I might be able to talk momma into it, but with you fast guy’s it might be tougher to get the cans to the right stops on time. I’d like Aaron & Josh to hang with Nathan that’d be great!!! That’d make Saturday a lot funnier for me, I could ride the whole loop, if the boy’s want to ride the loop. We’ll take the turn off! 75 miles is just too much for them. :aj: :yeehaw:

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by 70 marlin
I’d like Aaron & Josh to hang with Nathan that’d be great!!! That’d make Saturday a lot funnier for me, I could ride the whole loop, if the boy’s want to ride the loop. We’ll take the turn off! 75 miles is just too much for them. :aj: :yeehaw:

Why don't you just plan on it - they all like riding together, then Sunday we can take the kids out for a 25 mile loop, pack up and go.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Well I have the wife and girls talked into going to the Rites of Spring weekend. Found out that Whiskey Creek has a nice indoor pool, so that'll keep them busy during the day.

We plan on going up either Thursday evening or early Friday morning. The way I understand it, the camping areas are first-come, first-served; no reservations. And there doesn't appear to be RV-only/tent-only camping areas. Sounds like it's going to be a little crazy with all the riders expected!

For those that have been there in the past, can you give me a general idea/directions where the DRN'ers will be setup within the park. Close to the lodge/pool, but away from dusty/busy roads, and shaded would be my first choice.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Don't expect to get one of the electric sites, they fill up fast. Follow the main road in. past the reservation tent first cross road turn right go almost all the way back to next'ed cross road past big open field. Turn left, then look left off the road. Camp back farther off the road. So dust is less of a problem. I have to wait for the kids to get out of school so, I will not be leaving Jackson till at least 3pm Friday.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Electrical hookup sites will be gone by Thursday night.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Since the LMC Hare scrambles has been postponed, it is time to bring this post back to the top.  I am making plans to attend the Rites....arriving on Friday and riding on Saturday.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Do to family obligation. I'll only be doing the Saturday ride. Arriving at post time and leaving that afternoon. Most likely riding with Aaron, Josh and maybe Matt. The boy’s & I will be doing the turn off part of the ride. “Maybe twice though”

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I'll be there either Thursday evening or Friday early afternoon, with wife and kids in tow! So is this where the MTR camp will be congregating?

...Follow the main road in. past the reservation tent first cross road turn right go almost all the way back to next'ed cross road past big open field. Turn left, then look left off the road. Camp back farther off the road. So dust is less of a problem.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks to our resident cartographer Fred T, attached is a close-up map of the MTR compound location at Whiskey Creek.

Click here for a larger, normal view: http://community.webshots.com/photo/70518046/70518103zkaflH

(I had to rotate it sideways here to fit within the image width restriction...)

Attachments

• whiskeycreekmap2 (custom).jpg
    whiskeycreekmap2 (custom).jpg
    20 KB · Views: 117
Top Bottom