2003 Toyota 4Runner / Honda Pilot

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I'm in the market for a new SUV to tow my trailer. I towed it last year with my wife's Chevy Venture minivan, and the thing really struggled trying to keep it at 70 MPH. The gas mileage really dropped too at that speed; 7-8 MPG versus around 22 MPG not towing. Towing around town is not bad.

For baseline purposes, the Chevy Venture has a 3.4L V6, producing 180hp @ 5200, and 205lbs torque @ 4000rpm. I don't have the towing package (heavy duty oil/water cooling only), so it's max rated towing capacity is only around 2,000lbs.

The trailer is an enclosed 6x12 v-nose, and stands about 7.5' tall overall. Curb weight is 1500lbs, and loaded up to the max it's probably around 2500lbs.

I am initially looking at mid-sized SUVs like the Honda Pilot, but it only comes in a 3.5L V6, rated at 240hp @ 5400, and 242lbs torque @ 4500. Maximum towing capacity is 4500 lbs. for boat trailers and 3500 lbs for all others (don't know why the distinction).

My main concern is that with the V6 again, the Pilot will still be struggling somewhat, and MPG will drop considerability. I want to be able to run at 70-75MPH without constant downshifting and the engine howling. The HP rating is 60hp more than the Venture I'm now using, so that may be the difference I need.

I'm also looking at a Toyota 4Runner with the V8, rated at 235hp @ 4800, and 320lbs @ 3400. Towing capacity is 5000lbs. Would this be overkill? Even though the horsepower rating is slightly less on the V8 4Runner compared to the V6 Pilot, would the 4Runner tow easier/better? I'm not concerned with pulling power off the line, just want to cruise @ 70-75 easily, and not have it kill the MPG.

The Honda gets slightly better gas mileage than the 4Runner, (17/22 vs 17/19), and would be a few thousand $ cheaper.

I doubt the dealer would let me take the Pilot out for a test spin and tow my trailer on the highway for 10-15 minutes, but I'll ask.

Any other experience/feedback welcomed...

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Look at the rpm at which the torque peak occurs. The toyota v8 is built more like a towing engine and will be better able to cruise comfortably. The weight of that trailer is not going to be the problem it will be the wind resistance at the high speed you wish to tow. Slowing down would help mpg, comfort, and safety.

My vote is for the toyota v8. Don't be surprised if you get worse mileage, the current tundra v8 reportedly gets terrible mpg.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
The Tundra is rated at 14/17, and has a 4-speed automatic versus the 4Runner's 5-speed automatic. Looks like the same basic engine though.

Is the Tundra significantly lower than 14/17 under normal driving?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The difference in the boat towing is because boats are not shaped like bricks so you'll have significantly less wind resistance. The V8 in the 4 Runner IS the engine that's been available in the Tundra, we looked at them for my wife. We decided if we were going to spend the money on something that got pretty much the same mileage as her Bronco we might as well get a Land Rover. In the end we kept the Bronco and added a i-VTEC Honda CR-V. Anyway the Toyota will tow better than the Pilot (checked them out too) because of better torque numbers at a lower RPM but as has been noted your speed is not going to help, drop down a few MPH and save some MPG's.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Originally posted by Smit-Dog
Is the Tundra significantly lower than 14/17 under normal driving?

I have a 2000 Tundra, the mileage that you stated is about what I'm getting.
Towing a 5x10 enclosed trailer @ 70 - 72 mph = 16.5 mpg. I travel lite, just me and my dog + motorcycles.

I'm very happy with the performance.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Jonala -

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of info I am looking for!

Any Pilot owners out there towing something similar?

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
THe Pilot is front wheel drive. I don't think it will tow as well as the Four runner, 'specially if you drive through some mud while pulling your trailer.

jjcobra99

Oct 17, 2002
I can't offer any information on towing, but I just bought an 03 4runner Sport V8 4X4, and I absolutely love it. The V8 is silky smooth and has a lot of torque down low. Towing capacity is supposedly 5000 lbs (but my owner's manual says 7000lbs--haven't quite figured that out yet). Anyway, just wanted to say I think it's a great vehicle. If you don't even want to feel that trailer on the back, check out an F250 Superduty with the new PowerStroke diesel. 325HP 560 ft/lb torque! Good luck!

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by gasgasman
THe Pilot is front wheel drive. I don't think it will tow as well as the Four runner, 'specially if you drive through some mud while pulling your trailer.

Gasgasman, we got a Pilot two weeks ago, and it's definately all wheel drive...
We've never towed anything with it yet Smit, so I can't give you any information on that, but I can tell you the basics. We got the EX with leather. It's a very comfortable vehicle. It'll fit 5 FULL sized people with ease. The sound system is simply amazing. The seats fold down very easily (unlike those in our Saab). We got to test out the four wheel drive capabilities in our recent 24" snow storm. It performed flawlessly. Any basic questions I can answer for you?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
jjcobra99 - I am also looking at the Sport trim model. What kind of mileage are you getting so far? RE: PowerStroke diesel... I need to pull a trailer, not sequoia tree stumps!

YZeater - RE: Any basic questions I can answer for you?
Do you live anywhere near southeastern Michigan? And if so can I borrow your Pilot to for a test tow? JK...

My dad has a Honda Odyssey. I believe that it is the same engine as the Pilot. When he gets back from AZ later this month, I'll borrow his van to see how it tows my trailer. Hmmmm, that is if he has a hitch....

Last edited:

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
YZeater - RE: Any basic questions I can answer for you?
Do you live anywhere near southeastern Michigan? And if so can I borrow your Pilot to for a test tow? JK..

I was born in Ann Arbor and I spent my first two years in Brighton, is that close enough?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by yzeater
I was born in Ann Arbor and I spent my first two years in Brighton, is that close enough?
Really? Wow... Small world. Still live in Michigan? I was just kidding, actually, thinking you lived in a different part of the country.

Your Michigan connection puts you to the head of the line for Fred T's famous burgers at DW03, so, you know, you got that going for you!

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Smit, I have a freind the tows with an Odessey and has been very happy with it. I think his trailer is 7x14 and always carries at least 3 bikes (usually 4), plus extensive tools and gear (lots of weight). He doesn't typically drive too fast, but says the big Honda 6 has lots of towing poop. Keep in mind too that the van, by nature, will cut some of the wind drag from the trailer too and that his trailer is a square nose.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by JTT
Smit, I have a freind the tows with an Odessey and has been very happy with it. I think his trailer is 7x14...
Is that 7x14 enclosed? If so, I'm sure it weighs more than mine.

jjcobra99

Oct 17, 2002
jjcobra99 - I am also looking at the Sport trim model. What kind of mileage are you getting so far? RE: PowerStroke diesel... I need to pull a trailer, not sequoia tree stumps!

As near as I could tell from my first fill up, I was right at 16mpg with 95% city driving. Not bad IMO. Also, I know the F250 is overkill--that's the beauty of it!! ;) I only mentioned it because it's in the same ballpark pricewise--and that IS something to think about.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Smit-Dog; did you get my PM?
The Odessey van should get you an idea how the V-6 tows. The Pilot is a 5 speed; I don't know about the van.

Patman is right about tow capacities being higher on the boats because of their shape.

BTW, I vote for overkill!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
KTMboy - Yes, thanks for the PM!

The Odyssey and Pilot both have a 5-speed trans, and the exact same engine. The max towing capacity listed for the Pilot is 3500lbs, or 4500lbs with a small to medium-size boat. The Odyssey is rated at 3500 regardless.

Still deciding.... have about another month before I have to do something.

Top Bottom