mike76

Mar 1, 2003
Well I have done it.... I put the downpayment on a 2003 YZ250F and I should have one by the end of the month. Now comes the fun part, what mods can I do to get more performance??? I have heard the power now is good and I'm thinking of going for a new exhaust anyone have any recomendations or other ideas?

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Yes get the vortex X10 ignition money well spent, better than a pipe and cheaper too! You get 11 settings total 1 main setting that mimic's stock and 10 additional settings. 2 different MX setting 2 different SX settings 4 traction settings 2 trail settings. I haven't gotten a chance to really test it out yet but as soon as I started the bike I could tell it was running better throttle response is snappier. Starts easier hot/cold, I got it mainly to fix an issue with my OEM unit my 250F had the dreaded 1/4 throttle miss now its gone. Not only does it plain just run better but its stronger threw out the entire power band except maybe on the very top its about the same big deal. I would recommend this mod before any after market pipe anyday.

dejackson

Jan 4, 2002
I put a carbon fiber GYTR muffler with titanium header and the Vortex ignition on mine. The exhaust is louder than stock but below the AMA limits. The bike feels like it has 10 more horsepower, but I know it doesn't. The power just comes on and keeps coming.

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
When I installed the X-10,setting 7=SX-2, It brought life into the bike.
I noticed a big difference from the neutrel setting. It felt alot snappier IMO.

Tomorrow??
The P-Now is going in and fiddling with the AP squirt and Leak Jets.
The Dr.D is still on the bike.

I think that exhaust system is good for mid to top, with stock bottom
(maybe alittle better but not by much)
That's what I observed against the Stocker and the
Q w/ the SX P-Bomb system.

Later. :laugh:

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by whyz
The P-Now is going in and fiddling with the AP squirt and Leak Jets.
The 70 to the 90 Leak jets did not work.. Too much squirt. even adjusted the AP screw. Maybe I'm doing something wrong :think:
Bog dies everywhere. Hard to start, big time rich.
I put in the 110. alittle better. Although I bought another stock one,#100,and put that one in.. The 120 and 130 will be picked up today.Just to see. I dont know what I'm looking for,this bike is pretty darn good as it sits now,,everywhere.
I put in the Power now,Leaned out the Bottom circuit,put the 100 back in
(the one I bought) with the X-10 .. Very much more snappy and crispier in every throttle range or RPM range.
I think that exhaust system is good for mid to top, with stock bottom
(maybe alittle better but not by much)
The mid to top is very much better than stock after dialing it in the past wknd.
The 1/4 to 1/2 miss fire at a steady throttle is totally gone in every setting on the X-10. The neutrel setting is MX 1 and is always MX 1.
I think I have a better than brand new bike :laugh:

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
http://www.mtracing.com/

Call or e-mail (Mike) to see if there is a dealer near you that deals with him.
They are pretty spendy>> 350 bucks<< But dealer costs is 298.

Back in Feb. (I think)
I paid 98,,my shop paid the rest because of a mistake on there part with our 2 bikes,and did some other stuff for me as well... I got fortunate .

Good Luck.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
my friend put in the Power Now, with otherwise stock jetting. He is very much NOT satisfied, says it starts harder and runs worse.

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by motometal
my friend put in the Power Now, with otherwise stock jetting. He is very much NOT satisfied, says it starts harder and runs worse.

Today I went indoors (AX) I have no complaints with it
In fact I'm impressed. It was a Blast!

Clutch only on the 180 inside turns. Other than that 2nd or 3rd anywhere.
SX 2 setting. stock gearing

Maybe he needs to re-jet his bike(bottom circuit)
I fiddled with mine the 2nd day I got it.
And I'm still fiddling :confused:

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I finally got out and really tested my vortex, now this is what the bike should of been like! It doesn't take it a good 5 mins of warming up before I touch the throttle anymore before if you even thought about touching it, it would bog and die then be a pain to restart. This problem is gone now with the vortex, the bike is much easier to start and warm up is maybe a couple of mins now. The bike doesn't even really sound the same it seems to just plain run better. The other thing thats awesome is the throttle is much snappier than before. It's more two stroke like now than ever, but you still can't wick it open but you can't do that on a four stroke anyways. I haven't tried the other settings yet just MX1 so far but even when luggin it in 4 gear in loose sand just rolling on the throttle gained responce much faster and it would pull a wheelie with no imput from me. It definetly made the bike much better I almost felt like I was riding a different bike.

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
The P-Now boost up the low to mid,
Dont know about top,
Cause it's too fast up there. :confused:

Dr.D / X-10 / P-Taper's / P-Now / Jetting's stock
(except FS adjustment at different condtions/locations) so far.
756 R / M-12 F / New LJ > Stock 100< / 50 deg. overcast/humid/wet

What I'm looking for is this> When I come out of a turn (180) I want to floor the throttle from zero without that small little cough. I'm trying to work it out but there's too much squirt at that point. When I turn the idle up, no prob,
But I dont want to mask anything. We'll :think: Maybe. ;)
The P-38 is next :laugh:
Getting bigger # LJ's today.

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
Now that I've had it for a month or so, I was going to check different settings with the Stock exhaust and the FMF-Q

We'll, tomorrow, I'll be putting the Dr.D back on.

There is no snap or crispy-ness in response when I put the stocker and FMF back on or the longer pull between gears.
It just felt like crap compared to the Dr's. SS.
And I like the GROWL better.
The other's felt lame.

Make sure that you put some kind of lube where the header meets the exhaust (dont know what though) I'm trying to figure out how to get mine apart without bending it :confused:
I had to remove the subframe to take the whole thing out. :|
whyz <-- What a Maroon

I screwed up in saying it didn't make a big difference.
I was wrong,and shouldn't have posted with so little time on it.
Sorry. :|

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
What I'm looking for is this> When I come out of a turn (180) I want to floor the throttle from zero without that small little cough.
We'll, I got the P-38 installed and a Zip-ty FS.
and the little cough is gone :yeehaw: No leak jet change either.
My jetting is still stock with stock gearing.
All I had to do was fiddle with the FS.

Now, I dont have to pull up on the bars either to wheelie, it does it by itself.
From just putting around to WFO,,instant wheelie.. WOW..
And I thought the PN mod was good.

You will instantly notice an increase in response and acelleration right off the bottom. I should've gotten this mod from the get go. :|
It cost me 65 bucks.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom