Sep 1, 2007
Aight so I have a 2003 YZ250F and it's hard to start in the cold as it is, but I can't kickstart it after it's sat overnight, I have to get it on the verge of starting and then jump it, but I can't kick start it at all. My buddy has the same bike, and he kicks it over 3rd try. I'm guessing I need to check the valves right? I've only had the bike for about a month, so I don't know what the previous owner's plan with it was.

by the way, I don't have a compression release lever, but neither does my buddy. would that have something to do with it?

Cabot

Sep 3, 2007
Probably the valves, along with the cold.

Check the valves (should be done every 10 hours or so) and for the cold, I'm pretty sure you will want to richen it up a little bit.

P.S. on my 03YZ250F I never use my compression release lever. I really havn't found it to help at all, but might not be hooked up right. But since I have no problem starting it in the first place, I really don't care.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Cabot said:
P.S. on my 03YZ250F I never use my compression release lever. I really havn't found it to help at all, but might not be hooked up right. But since I have no problem starting it in the first place, I really don't care.
Since the 03 YZ250F does not have one I doubt there is any problem with it :blah:

If you have not rejetted and are trying to start it in cold winter weather you probably way to lean. will it start with the choke?

I would suggest having your valves checked especially on a used bike of dubious maintanence

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Cabot said:
engine decompression lever is a hotstart.. right?
in which case my 03 YZ250F has one...

No, the hot start and decompression lever are different. The '01-'02 YZ 250F has a manual compression release lever. The '03 YZ250F (and newer) cam has an auto compression release, no lever. The hotstart lever allows additional air into the carb when starting the hot engine.

Most 250F's are a pain to start when cold. Sometimes a couple blips of the throttle before kicking help. Also full complete kicks. And of course the choke.

But yeah, you should really check your valves. I'm no expert mechanic, but I find checking valves pretty easy. Here is a link where I explained the process I used for checking the '03 YZ 250F valves. As long as you have the needed tools, give yourself an hour for the first check. Once you get the procedure down, you can do it in 15-30 minutes start-to-finish.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=129481

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I'll add to Nikke and Oldguy;
After checking the valves and insuring there within spec, replace the plug, and check the accelerator pump duration. There was a thead some time back that covered this and it does help.
Giving the bike a quick twist or two on the throttle in the cold helps wonders. After three or four full kicks, twist it one more time. Don't continue twisting the throttle after three or four kicks though or you'll flood the engine. Have a clean air filter as well.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom