killer454

Jan 3, 2011
hello everybody i need advice on the oil
here is the problem im having:i changed the oil in this bike,and i put around 2-quarts in it.when i changed the oil it said full in the tank in the frame.
the problem is when the bike sits in the garage overnight and i go out to check oil level it says very low.if i start it for a few seconds and shut it down it says full on the dipstick.

is it normal for the oil to leak down to the crank case?
do i need to add more oil?

i overfilled this bike by alot because of this problem,i would come out to the garage and check the oil and it would say low so i added oil 3 times (3 different mornings)the third time the bike started to smoke.pulled the dipstick oil shot out all over me,way way to much oil.

drained all the oil out and put around 2-quarts now everytime i go out after bike sits in the garage over night it says low.
start it shut it down bike says full.
can anybody help explain this to me?

i have a manual but doesnt cover this problem
thanks for the help

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
the factory manual should give you detailed instructions on how to check the oil in a dry sump bike................ off the top of my head and do not take it for granted that it is correct but the manual should state something like start bike and let it idle for a minute shut bike off and quickly check oil level and yes that bike stock is a dry sump oil system when the engine is running most of your oil is carried high up in the frame and if setting for any length of time will drip down in the engine giving you a poor reading.

Top Bottom