kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Has anyone heard or seen any tests on the 04 CR250? I am interested in finding out some info or first-hand thoughts on the power and handling of Honda's new 2 stroke.

jib

Jan 23, 2000
Transworld mx has a test of the new cr 250 up on their site. They were not very impressed with the new motor, but everything else they liked.

OzyMoto

Jul 30, 2002
I rode a 2004 CR250R at Elsinore this past Sunday. I own an 03 and was very interested in the difference. The stock 04 blows away a stock 03. This bike had much more lowend and pulled nicely. Engine had some over rev as well.

It felt like Honda lowered the footpegs or something as it was much different than my 03

The 04 suspension stock could soak up big hits almost as well as my modified 03. The o4 really absorbs small bumps nicely.

If you have a modified 03 and are not a pro lever rider, selling the 03 to get an 04 CR is probably not going to make you much faster

SK 250

Sep 19, 2003
The rake and trail are totally diffrent from 03 to 04, so that is why it feels lower, it actually is .3 inches lower than the 03, but has .3 inches more ground clearance. The have changed nothing in the engine from 03, maybe the gearing has chnaged though. The only thing they changed that even has anything to do with the engine is that they put a TPS (throttle posision sensor) on the 38mm Mikuni TMX flat slide carb. They also shortened the wheel base .5 inches. So in thoery they basicly made a sharper steering CR 250 in 04 and from the ride review I got this is exactly what Honda intended, they kept the weight the same at 213lbs, and I can't belive it but it RED!!!

03 04
Rake 26.42º 26.49º
trail 106.7mm(4.22inches) 107.3mm(4.2inches)
seat height 37.4 inches 37.1 inches
Clearance 13.6 inches 13.3 inches
Dry Weight 213lbs 213lbs

SK 250

Sep 19, 2003
I missed the suspension part. This also has remained unchanged right down to the friggen fork oil no doubt, but ya everything in the suspension department has remained the same just a swap from the 03 to the 04. 47mm inverted showa cartridge fork with 16-position rebound and 16 positioncompresion damping 12.4 inches of travel.
pro link showa single shock with spring preload 17 position rebound damping, and compresion damping seperated into low speed 13 position and high speed 3.5 turns with 12.6 inches of travel. So as far as the suspension being better well, not to sure how that happens unless the rake and trail changes have effected the way the bike soaks it up???

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Maybe the high tech coating they put on the forks did upgrade the suspension enough to be felt. All I know is I'm saving my money for an 05.

Erik

OzyMoto

Jul 30, 2002
Originally posted by OzyMoto
I rode a 2004 CR250R at Elsinore this past Sunday. I own an 03 and was very interested in the difference. The stock 04 blows away a stock 03. This bike had much more lowend and pulled nicely. Engine had some over rev as well.

It felt like Honda lowered the footpegs or something as it was much different than my 03

The 04 suspension stock could soak up big hits almost as well as my modified 03. The o4 really absorbs small bumps nicely.

If you have a modified 03 and are not a pro lever rider, selling the 03 to get an 04 CR is probably not going to make you much faster

Dirtrider mag is claiming Honda recast new cases for the 04 CR250
Here is the link: http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/motocross/141_0307_250cr/

SK 250

Sep 19, 2003
Sounds like allot of fluff to me. Althought the recoated forks would indeed be smoother. As far as the oval exhaust port well the ey have been oval for the last few years, I know my 03 ssure looks oval when I took it apart. So more mid range and top end, so what does every two stroke rider want more of?? How about some low end grunt, Honda is trying there hardest to try and sell of old stock before the release a brand new bike in 05, but who can blaim them. Polaris has been doing the same thing with there sleds for the last 3 years, when all anyone wants is a four stroke, with 120+HP

VintageTech

May 16, 2002
SK,
Where are you getting your info? The reason I ask is because Honda claims to have totally redesigned the cases on the 04 to reduce the crankcase and intake volume, the intent being to improve low-end power. And I can’t believe they would risk their credibility by making a false claim that is so easy to verify or disprove. This won’t show up on a spec sheet, though.
Ditto for the suspension. A spec sheet won’t list valving changes, which, as we all know, will make a huge difference.
And the rake and trail are totally different? I’m sure I can’t feel a 0.07 degree change in rake and a 0.6 mm (0.02 in) change in trail. The Storm Links for the 02 CRF change the steering head angle by 1.5 degrees to make it turn, that’s more than 21 times the amount we’re talking about here.

CHET

Sep 4, 2003
vintagetech is correct. The '04 has new cases that mirror what tuners were doing with epoxy to the '02 and '03 to reduce crankcase volume.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by SK 250
So more mid range and top end, so what does every two stroke rider want more of?? How about some low end grunt

i've been riding 250's for twenty years and i can't stand low-end motors. give me more top-end. lots of it. one of the tests said the '04 had "ungodly top-end". sounds like my kind of bike.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by mx547
i've been riding 250's for twenty years and i can't stand low-end motors. give me more top-end. lots of it. one of the tests said the '04 had "ungodly top-end". sounds like my kind of bike.

you see that row of shops.......you see all them houses.....i can remember when all this area was just fields......:)

Top Bottom