2004 CR250 problem fixes

jasonboche

Apr 3, 2002
I've done quite a bit of reading about a major complaint on the 04 CR250 - poor low end. The experiences and complaints appear to be consistent.

Nowhere have I read about possible fixes, so I'm posting the question: Has anyone come out with a pipe for the 04 CR250 that fixes the low end power issues even if it's at the expense of transferring some of that mid and high end power down to the low end?

How about the vibration problems that are coming from the motor? Are soft grips the only answer for that?

Jas
jason@boche.net

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
The best fix is actually even more affordable than a pipe. It's called EG mo-better porting. You can't go wrong with that.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Yes and he should be lowering the cylinders for you, 1.25mm is enough to make them pull well on the bottom-this is how paul edmondsons(ex world champ) 04 cr250 enduro bike is set up.

stroker

Mar 19, 2000
is the carburation any better on the 2004 then the 2003 CR250 was? I actually liked my 2003 alot, except for the picky jetting... also heard the Boyesun Rad valve with a pro circuit 2 pipe helps the bottom power on the CR's.

jarhead

Feb 27, 2004
I Put A Vforce And A Platinum2 And Shorty Silencer On My 03cr250.
They Helped Some But Nothing Breath Taking
My Cly Is At Eric Gorrs I Will Let You Know How I Make Out Wth That

mos11b

Feb 8, 2004
stroker said:
is the carburation any better on the 2004 then the 2003 CR250 was? I actually liked my 2003 alot, except for the picky jetting... also heard the Boyesun Rad valve with a pro circuit 2 pipe helps the bottom power on the CR's.

I just added a Vforce last night to my 03! It made the low end crisper and it is noticeably faster getting on the pipe. I feel it was worth the $129.00. I'm now happy with my CR250...

:uh:

moto2121

Mar 2, 2004
I just bought a new 04 but i haven't had good enough weather here in ny yet to ride it, I will have to let ya know

stroker

Mar 19, 2000
yes, still a mikuni, but I have yet to hear if the 2004 version with TPS works any better then the 2003 non TPS unit.

Can anyone comment on this?

jasonboche

Apr 3, 2002
I'm 75% convinced to cancel my order of the '04 CR250 and grab their last remaining '04 CRF450 that's sitting on the floor.

Dragmeistr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 14, 2002
For what its worth, I think the Boyeson Rad valve gives a little better bottom end on these bikes then the V-Force. I have tried both back to back and prefer the Boyeson. My $.02.

stroker

Mar 19, 2000
i have heard of good results with the boyesun rad valve and their exhaust spigot plus a pro circuit-2 pipe (PC version of the FMF Gnarley). this seemed to add bottom to the 2003 CR.

I would like to know if the new mikuni TPS equipped carb on the 2004 is any better then the setup on the 2003.

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
I thought a lot of the problems with the 03 and 04 CR250's were the glitchy electronic power valve? Seemed like most of the reviews I've read attributed the inconsistent power delivery to the electronics...mostly due to wrong maps being referenced for power valve actuation (or getting hung up between maps).

Micah

stroker

Mar 19, 2000
If that is indeed actually happening, you would think that one of the aftermarket programmable ignitions would be an easy fix. On my 2003 CR250, once I installed a Keihin PWK carb it was a completely different bike, very responsive, lots of power everywhere. It even sounded different! The 2004 model has a TPS equipped Mikuni, so you can't just swap to a Keihin anymore, but I have yet to talk to an owner to see if the 2004 carbureates any better then a stock 2003 did.

Comments???

04-yz-250

Aug 19, 2003
jasonboche said:
I'm 75% convinced to cancel my order of the '04 CR250 and grab their last remaining '04 CRF450 that's sitting on the floor.
Do it! If I had the opportunity to buy a motocross bike again it would be the Honda CRF450 hands down.I'm triying to deal my 04-yz-250 for one but the dealer's around here are telling me two strokes on their showroom floors are not selling at all.Just wish I'd known what I know now. Good Luck with what ever you purchase.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
regarding jumping the fence, I won't propagate a 2 vs. 4 debate here, but i'll just say that all bikes have their problems, and for every disgruntled owner, there's 100 that love their bikes. I've liked the CR250 since 2000, but the 2002 on up is a very light, flickable bike that just feels right.

My '03 CR250 was a bit off on the jetting stock, but with a few simple changes, it rips! Everyone that rides it comments something like "wow". Stock exhaust and reeds. The jetting issues would be a lot worse if we didn't have DRN as a resource!

stroker

Mar 19, 2000
I agree... My 2000, 2001 and 2003 CR250's were all great bikes, all had (different) minor issues, but the 2003 was the best of all once I got it sorted out.

I have been asking for opinions on what the 2004 model is like, not much input (yet!). Every bike seems to need something sorted out, just a question of what it is and how much its gonna cost me.....

So lets here some real reviews from 2004 owners, especially the problem with the 2003, carbureation, has it been fixed for 2004?

CR69r

Jun 1, 2003
marcus gumby --

you said lowering the cylinder 1.25mm was a good idea. would you expect to use race gas after this? i know everbody is going to say increased compression = race gas, but this is not always the case. the cr's compression starts out low at 8.5 to 1. i have friends that have yz250's with 9.5 to 1 that they run on pump gas.
i can live with octane boost, but not the race gas. sometimes factory clearances in the squish band department are too great to provide an effective squish. (squish bands also aid in providing momentum for the gas). so maybe lowering the cylinder would make the band more effective and keep things ok with octane boost?

moto2121

Mar 2, 2004
we just had yet another snow storm here in ny, i have well over a foot of snow :( I want to ride this damn thing so i can tell you guys all about it :) But I guess it will have to wait.

I also read somewhere in the Dirt Bike mag buyers guild for 04 that the 04 cr 250 comes with a v force reed system??

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
CR69r, regardless of what the official "spec" is for compression, I would highly recommend running at least a partial mix of race fuel on the CR250, assuming you want to jet it to provide any kind of decent throttle response. With stock, blubbery jetting, is 91 octane ok? Probably. My '01 and '03 both are on the verge of pinging when running premium pump fuel.

Race fuel sure helps with the peace of mind...

CR69r

Jun 1, 2003

ya, pump is borderline. i throw in a bit of klotz octane boost and have had no issues with pinging or jetting. i really don't know what everybody is complaining about in regards to jetting. i change the main with the seasons and thats it. race gas just got me high and emptied my wallet.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…