sharp

Sep 30, 2001
It looks like they powder coated the frame instead of nickle plating. The frame also looks different from my 2001 - like something is no longer there. I wonder how it rides?

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Apparently the frames are powder coated. They also have a new seat/tank combo that apparently moves the rider forward more. That may explain the "longer" look. New bar clamp system too, to give several positions forward and back.

OCCRA_Racer

Oct 29, 2002
JTT

How much do the GGs go for up there? Are there any good deals to be had for us Yanks by importing one? That is a sweet looking bike. I wish some dealer would make me an offer I can't refuse. Although I'd probably go with the 250 EC or 250 DC over the 300.

mln@cableone.net

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Well, an EC250 lists at $8895 Cnd...trouble is right now with your dollar the way it is, it's getting better for me to come down there :scream: There are some real good deals apparently on 2003 models down your way though. What is US retail?

Give Jim at SMACKOVER , he's fairly close to you and "the" authority on GasGas. You might just find that "offer you can't refuse" ;)

OCCRA_Racer

Oct 29, 2002
JTT

I didn't know your dollar had gotten so strong against ours. Or maybe ours just got weak against yours? Anyway, it doesn't look like I'll be getting a Canadian GasGas. Retail for the EC 250 with Ohlins is $6,945 Without the Ohlins $6,295.

I spoke with Jim and the deals as good, but I'm not sure I want to pay $5200 for an 03 when I can get an 04 KTM for a couple hundred more. I think both bikes have their advantages. In fact I like aspects of both.

The one big negative I see with the GG is the higher initial cost with a lower resale value. The GGs seem to lose a lot more value. I went thru that before with a KTM and Husaberg quite a few years back. Jim did say he wasn't sure if the 04s were worth the extra $1000 to get the new bodywork and upgrades.

Oh the quandry I'm in. :)

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Your right about the lower resale for sure :whiner: As you said, just like early KTMs, Husaburgs, Huskies, etc. Smaller market share :|

That said, most that seem to try the Gassers seem to stay with them. They have a beautiful motor, turn on a dime, yet stable at speed and seem to be very reliable and "purpose built". They also have a fairly "Japanese" feel ergonomically.

Tiger

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
:thumb:  WOW, what an damn interesting set of ergos on that bike.  Something tells me a rdier encourage them to do that.  Or maybe a trials rider?!?  :cool:

OCCRA_Racer

Oct 29, 2002
JTT

What year did they go back to the old 98ish frame geometery? Jim told me, but I have forgotten. He said they turn much better now.

About them ergos... I rode a 99 EC200 back in 99 and thought it was really cramped. It's the only GG I've ever ridden. Has the layout changed any since 99? I'm not a tall guy, only 5'9", but I stand 95% of the time thanks to a fractured tail bone (even in the woods).

When I rode the 200 I felt like the bars were at my knees. The owner was short and I'm not sure if the bike was stock or not. My YZ (known to be scrunchy) felt really roomy compared to the EC and the KTMs feel roomy compared to my YZ. Expectedly, I'm a bit concerned over the ergos of the GG. Stealing a ride on a GG is probably not going to happen as I don't see any at our races.

Thanks for all the info!

OCCRA_Racer

Oct 29, 2002
I forgot to ask one thing. Is the EC200 a smaller frame like the KTM 200? That might explain why the EC200 felt so cramped. For some reason I am thinking all the GG frames were the same.

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
The frames are the same as well as the motors (sort of) based on the 250. It is the best bike ergonomically I have ridden after I installed taller bar mounts that also moved the bars forward. Compared to my '96 KTM 300 my '01 GG XC 250 was like getting on a bicycle when it came to "flickability".

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I think it was 2001 when the geometry changed back, but don't quote me. As far as the ergos go, I'm 6'1" (long legs and arms). With the stock bar location, it is a little snug, but not terrible at all. I'm coming off years of Honda CRs.

My next upgrade will likely be moving the bars forward some, as I think it would help.

I'm also a stand up rider, in fact I rarely sat on the CRs. I am learning to sit some on the EC, as it is quite comfortable when sitting, and doesn't abuse me for it (like the CR did).

Oh, and the 200 is based on the 250/300 chassis, not the 125 like KTM.

ToddHawaii

Apr 3, 2000
Wow, beautiful...I was very interested in the 04' Huskies, but am now considering the GG450 - nice.

TrailTramp

OCCRA_Racer

Oct 29, 2002
Gator331

What year is your buddy's bike, 03 or 04? Why would he sell a bike that only has 15 minutes on it ridden by someone else (you)? How much is he asking?

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
:confused:

Top Bottom