JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Well, the bikes arrived from Spain, but I got scooped by a freind on the Raga replica bike :bang:

But I did get some time to ride it. It is very light and flickable, as are all the Pros, only even more so. The greater flywheel mass of the 300 is very noticable, making the bike much less prone to stalling and cabable of grunting through just about anything.

The bike apparently comes with the "Raga" ignition curve preinstalled...it REALLY barks. Power is right off idle and very strong. Not necessarily unmanageable, but you do have to keep your wits about you for sure. It's very confidence inspiring on big steps for sure, but perhaps a little too much for tight cornering (hop free that is). We haven't changed the ignition settings yet, so that may take care of the abruptness.

The front end is noticably more rigid and less flexy than last years bikes (both on the Raga and Standard 280). Rear end of both bikes is very nice, although I cannot say I noticed a huge difference with the Ohlins on the Raga...perhaps a little more resistance to bottoming and a little smoother, but not enough that a rider of my level would see a big difference, at least in my opinion.

The Raga bar clamp and "fat" bars are beautiful! Lovely peices for sure, although very spendy as an upgrade.

Clutch master on the Raga is also different and uses a mineral oil instead of traditional DOT 4. It is slightly smoother feeling, although perhaps a little sharper engagement, if that makes any sense.

I ended up with a standard 2004 280 and I must say it is much improved over last years. The larger 300 style flywheel makes it much less stall resistant and very, very smooth. Still got some of that "Pro" quickness, just much more manageable now. Finding grip is much easier on the standard 280 compared to the Raga. I could see the Raga being difficult in muddy, slippery environments because of the almost too much power. Would be killer in dry grippy environments though (with a good fender budget ;) )

As I mentioned, the front end is much better this year. Stiffer torsionally and in compression. Clutch action is improved again, smoother and less abrupt than last years, and for the first time I actually had to move the engagement point in closer to the bar. I have long fingers and always seem to be trying to move the engagement point farther from the bar, but not this year.

I must say, that for my capabilities the standard 280 is probably better suited than the Raga, so I'm not disappointed by not getting the Raga after riding the two bikes back to back.

I'll be playing with the ignition maps over the next while and will give updates if anyone is interested.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
ALWAYS interested in good info!

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Jonala said:
JTT,
What do you mean you are going to change the ignition maps? Do you need a computer hookup and special program?

Yes, on the Raga Replicas and the 2004 280/300 the ignition is programable. You do need the software and a laptop, but you can choose between 4 ignition maps. This should make it tunable for a wide range of riders and riding styles (mild to wild). We will see when I get the chance to play with it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The ultimate plug & play device :ride:

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
2003 and 2004 Raga Replica

I tried both of these bikes and I prefer the 2003 Raga Replica. It has much more grip and the suspensions are more "free". It is easier to trick than the 2004. The front fork on the 2004 is an improvement though. The 2003, when going downhill, I was always scared of going over the bars. Anyway, maybe just a bit of adjustments on the 2004 will make it my favourite. However, the 2003 definitly had more grip!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
JTT said:
If only I could get the rider re-programed ;)
Heck I'm a DOS based equivilant! :)

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Well, I got to play with the programmable ignition a bit today. Very simple to work with. Lift the front of the tank to access the CDI connection, unplug it and plug in the powered module that is connected to a laptop. No disassembly required. Total reprogram takes about 2 minutes.

The curve setups are a little confusing as they give you sequences of numbers but no explaination of what the numbers mean :think: They seem to be ignition advance settings (ie: degrees BTDC), but who knows, perhaps their some Italian equivalent (Ducati ignition).

I only got to do driveway testing today unfortunately, but can confirm there is a definitely notable difference between a couple of the selections. One (presumably the Raga curve) is very aggressive...barks right off idle. The "Edition" curve is actually surprisingly aggressive too, perhaps second the the Raga one in aggressiveness. The softest, most mellow bottom end comes from the '04 Ducati curve. Smooth and soft on the bottom with a very smooth progression into BIG power at the higher end.

I figure if your a "trick" type rider, you'll appreciate the more aggressive curves for sure. I think, at least for now, I'll try the '04 Ducati curve as I really want to work on smoothing out my riding and it seems to be just the ticket.

If I can figure out how to convert an Exel chart into a jpeg, I'll post the curve graphs...or at least my interpretation of them. I simply recorded the figures from the program and put them into an Exel spreadsheet and charted...makes them a little easier to understand, at least for me.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
JTT said:
If I can figure out how to convert an Exel chart into a jpeg, I'll post the curve graphs...or at least my interpretation of them. I simply recorded the figures from the program and put them into an Exel spreadsheet and charted...makes them a little easier to understand, at least for me.

I can convert excel charts to JPEG easily, just send your charts to trial_07@hotmail.com and I'll fix that for you.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Here we go...keep in mind, this is making assumptions about what the figures are actually intended to be, but gives some visual idea of the differences in the different settings.

Attachments

• Pro ignition curves Small.JPG
    Pro ignition curves Small.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Always a pleasure to help!

dirt-devil

Jul 26, 2004
Where can I get the software & etc. to change my 04 300 Pro? Also, what kind of money does it take? I have heard that it was very expensive & getting it is something of a mystery.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Dirt-devil, the software for the Pros is quite accesable as far as I know. The software for the 4 stroke enduro is VERY expensive and kind of hard to come by, the trials stuff is apparently quite reasonably priced...not cheap, but not the $1500 or so for the Enduro one!

Give Jim Snell a call at Rising Sun, he'll have the software and can get you a price. I'm fortunate enough to have a local dealer who has it and lets me use it, so I didn't have to actually buy it for myself. If you need Jim's phone number, let me know and I'll get it to you.

dirt-devil

Jul 26, 2004
Thanks JTT, I haven't talked to Jim yet but I know that he will reprogram mine if I send it to him or go over to his place. I had been told that Dale & Jim were the only two here in the States that had the software & the cost was very high. It would be nice to have your own or at least someone in my area.I appreciate your reply.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I ride with a friend that had a 2003 Raga and 2 electronic boxes with it. He sold it to someone who rides with us but kept the spare electronic box. He then bought a 2004 Raga and thought it was way too hard to handle in tight curves and touchy places. He corrected that problem by putting the 2003 electronic box on the 2004 Raga and since: the power is delivered much smoother and it is easier to run. The bike also grips much more. Hope that made sense!

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Makes perfect sense ;) He could also reprogram his 2004 ignition with a softer curve if he wished. The "04 Pro" curve is even more mellow than the 2003 one. Stephen F. has the software to do it if he want to.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Stephen is selling his GasGas 280 2003 Raga Replica. Have any idea what he is going to buy?

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
trial_07 said:
Stephen is selling his GasGas 280 2003 Raga Replica. Have any idea what he is going to buy?
No doubt a new '05, probably a 300. No word if there is going to be an '05 Raga yet. Won't likely be released until mid summer 2005 anyways.

You shopping for a new bike?

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Actually no: I'm selling my Sherco 1.25 2003 and my dad is going to give me his Sherco 2.5 2004. I was just curious.

Top Bottom