Budda

May 24, 2000
I read today on the MXA website that the 2004 CR125 has a new electronic powervalve and piston shape (but basically the same motor).
I was hoping for a new motor that would be competitive (I know the 250 four-stroke ate up development $$$).
I used to own a YZ125 and loved the 'mini' 250 power delivery that bike had.
My dream bike would be a CR chassis with the Yamaha 125 motor.

So what's your opinion, is there one last hurrah for a new 125 two-stroke from Honda, or is the current engine the 'last of the V-8's'?

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
I don't think it needed an entirely new motor(case & bottom end) but a completely redesigned cylinder with an RC valve can't hurt. I rdoe a 2002 CR125 and I thought the bike was competitve and it was really easy to tranisition too from my 250. Although i can honestly say the new 2003 YZ125 has absoluty the best motor ever to grace a 125. I think the new CR125 is going to have different feeling motor as opposed to the classic 125 motor due to th electronic power valve. Will it compare to a YZ125 in the motor department. I don't think so.

Erik

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
while there is no doubt in my mind that aftermarket tinkering can improve it, my friend bought an '03 CR125 and the motor is a slug.  It's slower than his previous 2001 KX125, and that thing was not exactly a rocketship.  I really like the chassis and handling of both the KX and CR, though (different, but both good).

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
Honda CR 125's used to be rockets back in the early 90's...A stock CR125 was so fast that it would embarrass heavily modified bikes...Back in the day my 92' cr125 would get holeshots like crazy...I rode my friends Team Green Kawasaki (his actual supercross bike) back then and we even switched bikes and I couldn't believe how much faster the CR was....

I'm sure Honda has the ability to build a really strong motor...

The 03' CR250 puts out big dyno numbers...Unfortunately, all the magazine editors ride like beginners and they can't keep it in the meat of the powerband after the first turn...lol

nipper

Jun 29, 2003
Yeah, I was hoping that Honda was gunna total re-design the motor and show exactly what their capable of. I can remember the late 80's when Honda was King of the Tiddlers, no one come close in the motor department.

Still, we should write off the 04 until it's been tested. You never know, an electronic PV, and new cylinder might have been all that's needed. The rest of the bike was top notch and didn't need anything doing.

If it turns out to be a squid and you want to stay red, you've always go the option of going the valves and cams route, ala the CRF250.

WhKnuckle

May 14, 2003
Don't underestimate what Honda can do with "just" a cylinder/exhaust valve redesign. With the (admittedly substantial) exception of the intake tract, case volume and ignition mapping, the vast majority of powerband modification is living in the cylinder and power valve. Ride it before you decide on anything.

Budda

May 24, 2000
I am looking forward to hearing the reviews of the new motor, I hope the changes do make a big difference. Plus, I like the fit and feel of Hondas.
As far as going the 4-stroke route, well, I'm there already with a YZ250F, but I miss the feel of a 125 two stroke. Most people think I'm crazy, but I prefer a 125 two stroke vs. a 250 four stroke.
Maybe the new generation four stroke will have a lighter feel to them (which is one of my main preferences of the 125s) , we'll see.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I know very little of this topic, but keep in mind something that hasn't been mentioned. Most of the factory Honda CR125's (like Preston's bike) had a 93 cylinder and head, according to one of the rags (if correct). This would imply that that bike's power deficit is fixable with moderate effort, and a 'whole new design' may not be needed. His bike was obviously VERY fast, to carry HIS big friggin' ass over those triples.

I'm just not sure why the companies can't mass produce what the factory teams are doing, with a little detuning?

WhKnuckle

May 14, 2003
The mass-produced bikes will never have any real hand-finishing of ports and have to be able to run on pump gas. The reality of the 125 class is that you're going to have to breathe on any of the motors to be competitive, with the possible exception of a 250F. In fact, "cheater" 125s are so common that they should call it the "started out as 125" class.

UKcr125rider

Apr 28, 2002
Originally posted by Budda
Most people think I'm crazy, but I prefer a 125 two stroke vs. a 250 four stroke.

I think you are perfectly sane in that comment. I detest the tractor like sound of those 4T's. Give me a gate of 40 125 2 strokes anyday heading for that holeshot.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
Most of the factory Honda CR125's (like Preston's bike) had a 93 cylinder and head
That seems to depend on who you hear it from :). So far I've heard 92, 95, 98 and 00. Now I can add 93 to that as well :).

I have my fingers crossed for a better CR this year. With more or less bolt on mods a number of tuners on here have managed to make the various years of recent CRs perform as well as the YZs of this world, why not put hem in charge :P. Most people seem to agree that Honda have the intake sorted for this year(03), their pipes are usually regarded as excellent, so throw in a new PV and cylinder (if they are well designed!) and hopefully this year will be an improvement on previous ones...

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
Oh yeah, I meant to agree with you there ukcr125rider. I honestly think a petition should be put together to ask manufacturers like FMF to stop making extra loud pieps/silencers for 4 strokes, they are FAR to loud already IMO. I was behind a guy on a 450 with an FMF silencer on it the other day, the noise actually hurt my hears so I had to pull to the side to avoid it! If I was running an MX track I would ban bikes like that outright. Really now, in grade C are pipes/silencers like this really necessary!?
I'm sure this has been discussed before but it's about time the likes of FMF justed stopped making them, it's the only way to stop the inconsiderate riders among us...

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Zenith,

Couldn't agree with you more. I was double gated behind a 450 with a Dr. D pipe that was choking me and splitting my ears at the same time. Could not move out of the way until the gate dropped. All I can say is I don't know if he can ride worth a damn, but he sure gets first place for the most totally obnoxious bike in the C class! BRAPP BRAPP BRAPP BRAPP - give me a break!!!

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
Don't quote me on this, but I don't think it would have been very likely that Team Honda used the 93 jug/head on their 02 race bikes. The reason is that the cylinder bolt pattern is diff from 93-02, as well as the pv arm mech that actuates the pv. Also the 93 pipe to fit into the frame would have to be heavily modified to fit as well as work w/ the engine tune. It seems like they could have gotten more out of the current design and going from there, w/o having to go back 9 yrs to use older port t.a. Also the ignition system would have to been a 93 as well. Not that Honda doesn't have them, hey, whatever it takes to win. If that were the case, it would have been easier to slap a 5 spd tranny in the 93 motor, mounted in the 02 frame. Ernesto Fonseca was running a spacer plate on his outdoor 02 CR, people thought it was a stroker, but Factory Teams have to run stock displacment. The reason he was running a spacer plate was to fit on older cylinders that didn't match up to the current case design. Honda R&D guys were not in good communication w/ the race team on this. The race team was running around scavenging up old jugs to make them fit somehow in a last ditch effort to make their testing and mods work w/ what came out of production. I would think that Honda really took a long hard look at their 02 mistakes and won't reapeat them, we will see,,,,

Top Bottom