KXRacer469

Aug 4, 2007
I just got a new top end for my KX, and I need to know if I have to buy a manual because I need to know about the power valves and the timing. I already deystroyed my CR's top end doing this but I need to know if my KX is any different.
Any advice would be appriciated. :)

KXRacer469

Aug 4, 2007
See thats what I think but I bought my bike used and it din't come with one. I had a manual for my CR but it didn't say anything about the timing of the power valves, so they decided they didn't like me and they pretty much junked my cylinder. I don't want that to happen to my KX so I was wondering where I could find this.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Don't confuse the owner's manual with a service manual (which isn't usually included with a new bike). The owners manual explains the very basics with the expectation that you will take the bike to a dealer for anything that isn't covered well enough. The service manual is the one that the dealership service department uses, and it is very detailed. If you buy it now, you will thank yourself later.

KXRacer469

Aug 4, 2007
Well it's not that I don't want to it's more or less me wondering if anyone on here knew what timing was right or where I could look up the timing without having to buy a manual, because the drive to buy a manual is about and hour away and I dont really want to order beacuse I need to do this rebuild a.s.a.p.

j.lawson

Jul 18, 2007
First off, you have the internet so order one. And who is "they" and how and why did they "junk" your cylinder.
And if all you doing is replacing the piston and rings timing is not altered at all. But you either need to take your bike to a certified expeirenced mechanic or get a manual.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
KXRacer469 said:
Well it's not that I don't want to it's more or less me wondering if anyone on here knew what timing was right or where I could look up the timing without having to buy a manual, because the drive to buy a manual is about and hour away and I dont really want to order beacuse I need to do this rebuild a.s.a.p.
If you drive and hour, they will probably have to order it for you anyway. If you order it by tomorrow morning, there's a decent chance you will have your bike running by the weekend.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
j.lawson said:
And who is "they" and how and why did they "junk" your cylinder.
If I have read his post correctly "they" is the power valve, and it has somehow gotten it's feelings hurt. You know, engine parts take it very personal when you try to install a defective hex nut turner. Once the engine gets this upset, parts are going to fail.

Keep you engines happy folks, make sure to use quality nut turners every time. :laugh:

Top Bottom