2004 KDX 200 Ohlins Rear Shock

nigele

Jul 20, 2012
Hi all, this is my first post on here and wondering if anyone knows if an Ohlins rear shock off a 2006 KXF450 would fit a 2004 KDX 200. I have an option on a used one and I understand a good mod to do to the bike...any thoughts or knowledge? The current shock measures 43cm from centre of the top hole to centre of the bottom hole. The Ohlins is 48.5 so a bit of a difference so may require me to use smaller linkages. Thanks :cool:

DBragg

Oct 31, 2005
I would talk to a local tuner and see if they can re-work the spacers inside the shock to achieve the correct eye-to-eye length. Also, I wouldnt want to try modifying the linkage length for two reasons: 1) The Ohlins shock's valving for the 450 will likely not work well with the 200. 2) When you modify the linkage length, you are altering the rate of rise on the shock spring (the progressive spring rate effect the linkage provides). There are weight, chassis geometry, and engine characteristics that affect how the shock works. I find it very unlikely that you will be happy with the Ohlins unit until the valving is correct for your bike and riding style.

If you insist on the Ohlins shock your best best is to have a competent tuner re-work the shock for you.

Another consideration is the fitment. Do the clevis' match? Can you get them to match without heavy modification How about the reservoir? Does it fit into the 200 chassis? Just fitting the shock into the chassis could be a barrier in itself.

All of that being said, Fredette did a great job revalving my OE shock on my 220. Also very reasonably priced.

What ever you decide, post up and let us know how it turns out. We like to hear the end of projects as much as the beginning.

:)

geoffro

Nov 16, 2007
interesting one... but doesn't that kdx front end bother you more.. before sorting out the rear I mean? Besides many here will agree the back not too bad at all on the 'ol KD..

Top Bottom