2004 KTM 200 Hydraulic Clutch leak

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Hydraulic fluid is leaking from the side of the engine on the bottom of the section the clutch cable goes into. The leak is fairly pronounced when leaned to that side and minimal, if at all, when the bike is straight up or leaned to the other side.

Oddly, after I noticed the fluid on the floor, I pulled the cap up by the clutch lever and the reservoir was still full.

It appears to me from the schematic that the only "seal" for that area is a gasket - yet the gasket is available in 3 thicknesses.

This will be my first time repairing anything related to a hydraulic clutch.

Any pointers? Anything I need to know?

Any idea which thickness of gasket I need to order? Should I go ahead and replace anything else in that part of the bike while I'm at it?

Oh yeah - I see that a lot of people apparently use ATF as a fluid replacement. Is Mobil 1 synthetic ATF ok? I've got some of that around here.

lobotomy

May 8, 2001
When you un-bolt the slave cylinder to replace the gasket, it would be wise to verify that fluid isn't leaking past the o-ring inside. The schematic you referred to should show the piston with an o-ring as well. On my 525, I thought my gasket was the issue, but it turned out to be the hydraulic line, so check it for any leaksl. Can't help you with the gasket thickness, but I can tell you that I use ATF in my clutch with no complications. Good luck!

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Then again, on the schematic, the o-ring and the piston have to be bought together. . . it's like $90!! Geez.

I'll start with the $2.00 gasket and go from there.

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
On an 04? Replace it.
KTM part# 0770020210 23.52 X 1.78 mm O ring.

You can use the larger one from the drive sprocket 23 X 2,00 mm Part# 0770230020 too.
That one allows you to hone out the bore if it is worn or damaged.

You can get a bag of 50... 23 X 2 from McMaster-Carr online part# 43-78-9262 K188 for about 8 bucks.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom