mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I need to replace the right side crank seal in my 04 kx 250.
Looking at the parts microfiche it looks like the case has to split but not sure, do not have a manual. I did a search but only found info on older models.Does any know if it can be changed from the clutch side without spliting the case?

xcracer72

Uhhh...
May 28, 2006
I would say no due to the fact that typically your crank seals are lubricated by your mixed fuel and would need to be a part of the engine that would be subject to high compression as such

phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
I'd say give it a shot. If your able to do it let us know.......

I've replaced water pump shaft seals from the outside, just pulled off the pump cover and impeller, used a pick set and seal driver. the manual suggested much more dissassembly. I think manuals are great, but just a guide. How else are you supposed to beat labor times, and make money as a mechanic if you don't figure out the shortcuts........................

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
What xcracer72 said, you have to split cases because they install from the inside.

And shop manuals do provide much needed info such as: exploded views, step by step r&r info, and much needed torque specs. A person without a shop manual is just shooting in the dark for the most part. My 2 cents.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Thanks for the info
I pulled the side cover this weekend and it cannot be done without spliting the case. I put it back together and raced it sunday. Thats a bigger job than I wanted to tackle day before a race. I runs fine just smokes a bit and uses about 3 to 4 oz trans oil in a 2 hour race.

Top Bottom