Trashrider

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 3, 2004
At the risk of sounding sarcastic, did you look in the manual?

Mark

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Not sarcastic, normally I would respond that way too.

I am placing a 2004 KX125 front end on my KDX200. I have had a KDX200 service manual for years, and I'm hoping I won't have to buy a KX125 service manual in order to learn the torque values.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
wanaride said:
Not sarcastic, normally I would respond that way too.

I am placing a 2004 KX125 front end on my KDX200. I have had a KDX200 service manual for years, and I'm hoping I won't have to buy a KX125 service manual in order to learn the torque values.

If the bolts are the same size, torque them to the same spec..

I don't know if that's 100% accurate, but it should be better than a guess.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
But the KDX has a conventional fork and the KX is inverted. Inverted forks are very sensitive to being pinched by overtightened bolts. I would tell you the numbers if I knew.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I have the 2004 KX125/250 owners manual, here's what it says:
Handlebar clamp bolts-> 25Nm 2.5 kgf/m 18 ft/lb
Steering head nut-> 79Nm 8.0 kgf/m 58 ft/lb
Upper fork clamp bolt-> 20Nm 2.0 kgf/m 14 ft/lb

Unfortunately, that's all I see right now, if I find anything else in there, I'll post it.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
FruDaddy, thanks for the good info!

WOW, 58ft/lb for the steering head nut! That is AMAZING! I was expecting something just past finger-tight, but that number is on the same order of magnitude as axle nut torque. I'm surprised the steering would even work with that much torque on it. I believe the other numbers, but I'm suspicious of 58ft/lb.

Out of curiousity, have you had a chance to torque your KX250's steering head nut with that value? I guess it could be right, but MAN, that seems waaaay too tight.

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
Keep in mind the spec for the steering head nut is probably the nut that holds the tripple clamp on, not the nut that tensions the neck bearings.
Most inverted forks have pinch bolt specs some where between 12 and 14 FT. Lbs. And you are right, you don't want to over tighten them!

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Ha, I'm probably smoking something (or confused it with the stem nut on top of the bearing).

I went over to a local dealer and looked at their manual; FruDaddy was 100% correct about the torque values (thanks again for taking the time to spell that out!). I also saw that the axle pinch bolts are the same as for the triple clamps; 14.5ft/lbs.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Was going to offer to scan in the page for you, but you probably don't need it now. Anyway, the stem locknut is the one under the clamp that needs the spanner wrench. The steering head nut is the one on top of the clamp but just under the bar. It is the head nut that goes to 58.

Top Bottom