MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Well I just picked it up last night from Zach from NWMB, I got an awesome deal. It's still in the crate review will be coming once I have it together and get a chance to ride it.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
It's not in the crate anymore, but all I had to do was install the front wheel and spacers/seals. Handle Bars/mount perches and the front fender and put on the throttle and I have to do some minor adjustments like set the Idle. Other wise if your paying like what most dealers here locally in WA charge for setup your totally getting ripped off! It's on average $300 + here. I got it for only 4399! BTW if your having trouble getting threw to someone at motorcycle brokers it's cause Zach is running it all by himself right now. Just keep calling! I'm very glad I did!

Now on to qaulity of build, this is my 2nd kawie ever the last one was a '80 KDX 250. Owned mostly Honda's a few yam's and suz's, I'd totally compare the build qaulity to Yamaha or honda plus I like how it came with a real owner/service manual like yamaha's do guess honda is the only ones who are cheap thier owner manual is way to brief. I just don't see what's so special about honda's anymore I can't wait to ride it! More details soon. I should have a ride on it this weekend at the local AX track. If it stop raining I could test it out at Washougal but fat chance of that happening :(

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I finally got the chance to take it out yesterday, took it for a trail ride but had tons of opertunity to open it up. I'm sure you guys are dying to hear about the motor. Let's just say YZ/RM riders can't claim to have the fastest japanese 125 anymore KTM riders better be worried. Snappy bottom end comes on early like the YZ, killer mid range it's nice and wide and strong and good top end this bike is putting out some serious horse power. I'll give more details when I take it out and ride it on an MX track tommorow.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The one i rode had very strong rear brakes-too strong almost-it felt different to the 2003 in a few ways-taller seat and pegs-the engine was very strong.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Okay I got to ride it on an AX track, I still feel the same as above about the motor I think the bottom end could be a tad bit better I think it's running alittle rich I'm gonna try dropping the pilot one size see if it cleans up. But it seems to be carberating cleanly I can't get any jetting related bog outta it, it feels pretty spot on from the factory. I wasn't having to slid the clutch very much anyways when I did it was rider error that caused it. The bottom end comes on early and snappy. All it took from me was alittle bit of throttle and the front end came up easy even when I was in lugging it. The mid range had a nice hit I had no problems with getting the drive/snap needed to clear the jump right outta corners. I wasn't able to test out the top end much on this AX track but when I trail rode it I don't feel it's lacking in this area either. The motor felt very much like a healthy '03 YZ 125. It feels very much like a YZ clone in every way but at times it felt stronger I need more time on the bike to compare it to others but I totally believe it's on par with the YZ easyly. I don't have any issue's with the stock gearing it feels great I don't think any changes are needed.

The handling is great, I wouldn't say it's razor sharp like the RM and not quite as sharp as the CR's but I feel like it out handles my '02 YZ 125 but it's more stable so far I haven't gotten any headshake out of it. Sections that used to make my '03 YZ250F & 02 YZ125 and '01 CR125 dance everytime the KX ate right up very nice. I can tell it's all ready more stable then my last 3 bikes. I also like the size of the KX it feels slim and small and light! It jumps really good too, flys straight threw the air doesn't get outta shape real easyly it feels also really whipable. It feels really solid when hitting the whoops like the CR did must be the perimeter frame.

The suspenion so far has been excellent it needs more time to be considered broken in yet. But it wasn't overly stiff on the small stuff but also nice and stiff over the big hits and jump landings. I cased a few jumps to test it so far it didn't bottom or at least I couldn't tell it did if it in fact it did. It also has a nice fluid plush feeling threw the entire stroke. It was giving me alot of confidence to charge the whoops I have no complaints from it. It sure feels alot better than the YZ suspenion I've been riden on the last two years now.

Kudo's for kawaie for it's brakes, The front brake is totally like a CR's there is no mushyness in the lever feel and it's nice and strong and progressive it felt like a honda brake all the way. The rear brake is nice and strong almost alittle too sensative but it's very good. Honda riders cannot claim to have the best brakes no more the kwackers are now just as good!

I can't wait to start racing this bike, If I don't do good it's definetly not the bike thats totally certain! Shorter riders who want a bike that's YZ like in power don't pass up this bike! I don't know what else to tell ya guys about this bike other than <cartman voice> It's kick ass!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I would say the front is better than a CR(i have a KX caliper on my RM-thats how much i love its action)-i have tested both bikes back to back-however for me the rear is over sharp, like my old KTMs and i would look to making it more progressive.You wont be dissapointed with the top end power.However the jetting is a bit off std-i would look at turning the aiscrew out a bit and also possibly dropping the needle one clip.

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
NICE, i almost bought an 03 KX but ended up getting a new 02 YZ. have you ever ridden an 02 or 03 KX? do they differ from your 04?
sounds like kawi put out a real compeditor this year!

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
The stock setting is 2.5 turns out, the bike doesn't want to idle right now it seems to run alittle better with the choke on. I adjusted the idle out to with only 4 threads showing it should idle. I'll try leaning it out I think I'll go to the 37.5 pilot 40 is stock and dropping the needle one clip to #2 I'm running race gas anyways so it will probably help it out more. I'm running trick 114 (the blue stuff) it burns at like 106 mixed at 40:1 with klotz supertechni plate. I had great results with this setup on my '02 YZ125.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I've recently ridden an '03 YZ, RM, CR 125's - 02, 03 KTM 125sx and 200SX raced all of last year on an '03 YZ250F and the year before on an '02 YZ 125. I got a brief ride on an '03 KX 125 I'm only 5'5" so it felt really comfortable to me but it was a brief ride so I can't compare it to the 03's even though I almost got one. I'm comparing the '04 KX to other 125's i'm more familar with me and my friends like to swap bikes so I get the chance to try out different bikes quite often plus since I didn't get along with the 250F I've been doing that quite a bit. I went after the KX mainly for it's smaller size compared to the YZ/RM's so I took alittle bit of a chance in getting. I was totally prepared to have to mod it to make it faster but it doesn't need it! I can't wait to hear my friends opinions after they ride it, they usually bag on kawie's for being slow hehe >:) little do they know.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Well I dropped the pilot to #35 and lowered the needle to clip #2 and it cleaned it up quite a bit I almost got that nice tan color now. It was definetly running cleaner, I'm going to drop the main to a 410 stock it's 420 and I think it will be fine with these settings.

TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
mxp1mp;
Glad to see your thread on the 04 kx125!! Read some great reviews! I bought a 03 yz250f in may this year to get back into dirtbikes and learn how to ride mx tracks(just for fun, no racing) I like the bike a lot, however it feels tall and a bit heavy to me at times. I'm 145 lbs. 5'11". It does not feel flickable to me at all. Do you think I might like a lighter, somewhat smaller bike like the kx125 better? would it be easier to jump with and handle better for my height/weight? Or maybe I just need more time on the 250f?????

Thanks!

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I don't have any issue's with missing the 250F's power the KX has more then enough it's got great bottom for a 125 and good midrange and good top it's just flat out sweet. But I got rid of the 250F for similar reason's, but i'm 5'5" and like 140 with my gear on. I find the KX is much easier to jump and ride flat out and definetly more whipable. It's will be noticably more smaller feeling in the seat hieght compared to the YZF's. Plus the seat is more comfortable and the suspenion is nice and plush but I feel it's valving is perfect for me. Things I like more about the KX compared to my last two yamaha's is it's more stable it has yet to break into any real scary head shake dances on me. I like the KX more alot more, It allows me to concentrate on my riding and not what the bike is going to do. I used to do alot of unintentional whips on the 250F not something one really likes to do when you don't want it to. Brakes are way better, the ligther clutch pull is a big bonus. Just go and check one out, it's totally raceable out of the crate and I think it would make a great enduro 125 too. I've been extremely impressed by this bike and very glad I got it, it's a keeper.

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
how was your work with nwmb? I've been thinking about buying one through them, if i buy one. they seem to have very reliable prices, plus you know how it was set up and it was ll lubed good and all. also is it all htat much better than the 03 kx125? anyone know. bc i should be able to get a nex 03 for a good discount like i did on my 02 kx100.

Top Bottom