Steve47

Nov 23, 2001
I rode my 2004 KX250 for the first time yesterday! Here's my first impression.

First, I owned an 2003 and loved it but I didn't like the soft seat and I was sitting too low, plus the power was OK but not that strong.

Kawasaki fixed the little things, the seat it higher and harder and comes with a nice gripper cover. The new front brake routing and the new fork protectors look great. The linkage and the swingarm are also new.

Now, on the track!! The thing PULL HARD!!!! REAL HARD! The jetting is very crisp and the throttle response is just amazing. The bottom and mid are very good, a LOT better than last year. The only thing is it's still typical kawasaki and the top end is very limited. But with an idiot proof powerband like that, just shift it and live happy forever. The bike is very easy to ride, there is no sudden rush of power, it's constant strong delivery from the very bottom to the top. I was very happy with the motor.

The handling is even better than last year, I'm 6'1" and last year small seat was not cool for me. It was hard to get back up after a corner. GONE!! The new seat is awesome and the riding position is better. Felt great right away. The new rear link makes the bike corner even better. I struggle with the forks a bit (but remember they are new, need break in time) but found a better setting by the end of the night.

Bottom line, I'm very happy with the new bike, they basically fixed the things that I didn't like about my 03. Good job Kawasaki.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
I was at the dealer the other day looking at one. I noticed they wen't back to the original pipe mount before the 03. The 04 has the 2nd pipe mount near the tank again not in the middle of the frame,like the cr's and yz's. I like the mount on the 03 better(better spaced) I could not figure why they would change it back. I had no issues with the 03 mount...

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Hey Steve, thanks for the report. Time to put my order in! Kaw offer any kind of jetting chart in their manual? I live at 7.000'.......... but tend to race anywheres between sea level and 9,000' or so.......

How is spring stiffness for your weight?

Steve47

Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by Buckholz
Hey Steve, thanks for the report. Time to put my order in! Kaw offer any kind of jetting chart in their manual? I live at 7.000'.......... but tend to race anywheres between sea level and 9,000' or so.......

How is spring stiffness for your weight?

The jetting was spot on for sea level here in florida, that's the first time my KX250 is so crisp with the stock jetting. There is a chart in the owner manual but I don't use them, I rely on my own judgement. BUt then again, I'm always riding in at sea level.

The rear spring is great for me, 185 lbs. The forks seems fine too but I'll need more time to tune them and break them in. I'll ride again tuesday so we'll see. I'll say it again, I'm very happy with the motor, it reminds me of the great 98 motor.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Thanks again.

I actually grew up back near you, in Satellite Beach........

Don't miss the humidity or bugs one bit.

So back to the '04, does the jetting chart tell you what to do with the different needles Kaw offers, or if the PowerJet needs changed with elevation. Never had a PowerJet carb.

Am an A enduro rider out here, and been on KTM's the last 6 years, gonna try a KX250 as the next mount, would really like to qualify for the ISDE next year, and thinking an '04 KX250 would be the hot setup.....

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Am an A enduro rider out here, and been on KTM's the last 6 years, gonna try a KX250 as the next mount, would really like to qualify for the ISDE next year, and thinking an '04 KX250 would be the hot setup.....

Same with me, except I went with an '03 KX250 after 5 years on KTM's. Very workable bike in the woods, after flywheel weight and suspension revalve from Drew Smith at W.E.R. If you're an aggressive rider, the KX rewards you a bit more than the KTM's.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
The KX is the first bike I've owned in years that required no jetting. Zip. Nada. Unlike both my KTM's of the last 5 years and another 5 years of RMX250's before that. Not that I'd swear it was because of all the fancy electronics in the carb...on the outside, some of that stuff gets in the way. If you want to check out all my woods mods, <click here> .

Onore GT

Feb 20, 2001
I picked up an 04 KX250 about 3 weeks ago and would pretty much second Steve's comments. I also had an 03 KX250 and would definitely say the 04 has some significant improvements. As far as an off road bike I think the KX would probably be one of the best Japanese 250s for off road use. The 04 motor is super tractable. I don't know if it is the new linkage, the motor, or both, but the bike just seems to hook up out of the corners really well and pull with authority. The chassis is really stable and has a nice neutral feel yet still turns really well. Out here in Southern California it is hot and dry at most of the tracks right now but I was really impressed how the bike transitioned from braking to acceleration. You could just come in, ease off the front brake, feed in power, and the bike would track really well out of the corners, even on the blue groove.

The 03 fork might be a bit better for off road use but I think the 04 fork is a big improvement overall. The 03 fork is really comfortable yet has a pretty loose feel that I always had a hard time coming to grips with. The 04 fork is a new system that is definitely firmer initially, but it has a nice hydraulic, controlled feel. On the 03 you had to be a little careful where the front wheel landed off the jumps but on the 04 you pretty much don't have to think about it.

I think you would be happy with either the 03 or 04 but the 04 will definitely require a bit less initial setup. Just put on some decent bars and bar pad and you are ready to race.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
We even rejet the four strokes here at 7,000' elevation, so I'm pretty sure I'll be messing with the carb.....

Great KX conversion page - not running a pipe guard, though?? We switched to the Eline Carbon Fiber guards a coupla years ago, they are great, save big bucks on pipe replacements........

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Great KX conversion page - not running a pipe guard, though??

I will, believe me. I put a big dent in the stock pipe within the first 5 minutes of my first ride. I'll abuse the stocker without a guard until the racing season starts next year, then put on a Gnarly (with a guard...I don't take any chances out here in Missouri). W.E.R. did a nice job on the suspension. The forks are a huge improvement over the 43mm WP's on the KTM (even after the FabTech re-valve).

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Haven't had the greatest luck with gnarlys- they seem to displace backwards during a rock/tree whack, leading to getting all twisted up, getting pulled off the the exhaust outlet (can't spell spicket, spickot,..) and cracking at the welds.

The lighter gauge metal just seems to bend/dent where it gets hit without twisting up or displacing backwards..... leading to much easier fixing of the pipe, plus you can still finish the race........

bodi

Feb 11, 2004
KX250 or KDX220R

KaTooMer said:
The KX is the first bike I've owned in years that required no jetting. Zip. Nada. Unlike both my KTM's of the last 5 years and another 5 years of RMX250's before that. Not that I'd swear it was because of all the fancy electronics in the carb...on the outside, some of that stuff gets in the way. If you want to check out all my woods mods, <click here> .
Your link to the mods is down, could you let me know how to convert the KX250 into a woods bike. I want to know if the KX250 is too high performance for a consistant low to moderate RPM workload. I am considering the KDX 220R because it seems to be designed for that purpose. I want to get a really good two stroke before they stop making them.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
The 18" tire has a taller profile than a 19", which makes it less prone to pinch flats. Where I ride, we have a lot of rocks, so it's important to me. The 11 oz flywheel weight is good...I haven't tried anything else, so it's hard to compare to a 9-oz. But it still has a good, snappy power, revs quicker than my 300MXC, and doesn't stall nearly as much as it did without any weight. Just makes it a little smoother in the woods, and I'd guess a 9 oz weight would be pretty close to what I've got. The nice thing about those Steahly's is if you want to try another size, it's really easy to switch.

Tomck

Feb 13, 2004
Bodi,

I am thinking along the same lines as you (reference my thread "Two-Stroke Play Bike" in the What Bike Do I Buy forum). Here is a good review of the 2004 KX250: www.motorcycledaily.com/06november03_2004_kx250.htm
I too am wondering if it would be suitable for low and mid range RPM use as a play bike and for climing some hills. If I read the Kawasaki site correctly, different weight flywheels are available form Kawasaki, and as noted by BlazinBoy, it would probably be a good idea to add an o-ring chain. I am also considering the KDX220, but I wish that Kawasaki would update the suspension (not likely since there is no assurance as to how much longer it will be sold in the U.S. market). I am also considering the KTM 300EXC, and the GasGas EC300, as mentioned by CJG in my thread. The only thing that gives me pause on the GasGas is the small size of the company, but I have to say that I have never read a bad review by an owner, or about any issues in terms of obtaining parts. I like four-strokes OK, but I wish that we were going to have more two-stroke choices and not fewer.

NWMyers#5

Jan 23, 2004
I'm liking hearing all these positive comments on the new 04. As some of you recalled I have one sitting in my basement that I bought in the crate so it's never even been started. Uncle Sam decided I needed to come play in the sandbox for a while so there it sits at home a few thousand miles away. For the guys that have ridden one a bit I'm looking for a good baseline suspension set up to shoot for when I get home and actually get to ride it. I weight about 175 on the scale with no gear. I'm an intermediate rider that will be doing a mix of outdoor MX and enduro racing. Also I'll be riding at around 2000-3000 foot range. According the little chart in the manual looks like I may have to drop a jet size on the main and the pilot. I've never dialed in a brand new bike before so excuse my ingnorance. Did some reading but there's not a whole lot of info out in the 04 yet. Any info would be great!

L

LukeRips

I've been trying to upload a picture of my '04 conversion but it's too big. If anybody wants to see it let me know and I'll email it to ya. My '04 is the 5th KX250 I've converted to woods. Historically they've been a challenge to tame due to that KX 'hit'. Not the 2004, I refer to it as a 3-stroke because it pulls so hard down low. Here is a list of parts from my '04 that are MUST haves.

Moose Tall Seat
Pro-Action revalve
Michelin S-12's
Moose HD tubes
IMS 3.1 gallon tank
FMF SST (Adds all around power, I don't think it needs a ton more low end)
Titanium II silencer
Regina O-Ring gold chain
Moose 51t rear sprocket
Steahly 9oz. flywheel weight
Scott's damper and top clamp
Renthal Fatbar (Enduro bend)
Pro-grip cross-gel grips
IMS Pro-Series pegs
Engine Ice coolant
Twin-Air filter
Works Connection skid plate
Works Connection Rad braces