Henry89

Sep 14, 2006
A guy I work with has a 2004 YZ250F that he is selling. He bought the bike new in 04 and now is selling it. He's offerring it to me for $2000. It has the following upgrades/mods:

262cc big bore kit, done by Luke's Racing. Suspension set up for woods racing and lowered 1" by WER suspension. ProTaper upper triple clamp & 1 1/8 bars. Factory Pro jet kit. Fluidyne high capacity radiators. Top end rebuilt last Janurary. Replaced intake valves, piston and rings. 7 hours on the new top end. Tires are in decent shape. I have a new rear I can throw in. Sprockets and chain are in good shape. New plastics.

Does $2000 sound like a good deal for the bike? Thanks!

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Without looking at it is hard to say.

For a 2004 in GOOD shape that is not a bad price. The 262 motor is GREAT and fairly reliable (my 2003 that I sold to a friend is still going strong but Rich built that one so it is going to last longer than most species of cockroaches :) ).

Ivan

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
If it runs good and looks good, sounds like a great deal to me! :ride:

Henry89

Sep 14, 2006
Here's some picures

Here's some pictures:

0YZ250f_3.jpg

0YZ250f_1.jpg

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Does it start easy?

How does the air filter look?

Honestly?? I'd pay $2000, put steering damper on it, check the valves and put a new top end in it and go (I know he says there is only 7 hours on the year old top end but I'd want to look at it and be safe by replacing the parts just to be sure - also check for play in the crank).

Ivan

Henry89

Sep 14, 2006
Ivan....I know the owner of the bike pretty well. He just adjusted the valves and asked me to come over during the adjustment so I fully understanded how to adjust the valves. This is my first 4-stroke bike so I just need to know what I might be getting myself into. Thanks!

flounder

Oct 20, 2007
Take it for a spin and give it a good throttling... Ride it like you stole it.

compress the forks a few times and look for leaks. Like what was already said, how does it start.

Other then that personally, all used bikes can be timebombs so have fun with it, take care of it, and pray it stays together.

bansheeater1

Oct 8, 2007
Dont get a 250. Go with a yz 450f. I love my bike. My friend has a 250 and he wants to upgrade and get some more power. I think you should do the same too. You will regret it when you want more power out of the 250 and have to sell it and upgrade to a 450. You will have so much fun with it. I love my bike.

May 10, 2007
bansheeater1 said:
Dont get a 250. Go with a yz 450f. I love my bike. My friend has a 250 and he wants to upgrade and get some more power. I think you should do the same too. You will regret it when you want more power out of the 250 and have to sell it and upgrade to a 450. You will have so much fun with it. I love my bike.

dude every post you have posted that i have read have been about getting a 450. most people dont ride 450's to their full potential anyways so why waste money on buying power you wont use.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
bansheeater1 said:
Terrible advice (I know it is your opinion and you are entitled to it).

The 262 is an amazing powerplant and if maintained correctly the YZ250/262F will last a long time. Not everyone wants or needs a 450 power and just because you like yours does not mean everyone should follow you and own one. I have both a YZ250F and a YZF450 and honestly prefer riding the 250 (at least when I used to ride) as it feels much lighter and easier to corner with. I also had a 262 which I sold last fall and that was a stump puller for power- not great on a track but in tighter riding was perfect.

My son races a 450f and is currently looking for a new 250f to race in a second class. Both have more then enough power to keep him happy.

If you trust the guy and the bike looks/sounds good that price is not bad at all.

My only concern would be if the lowering of the suspension will be right for you. If it feels comfortable then it is a non issue and as Ivan said that could make it even more of a deal.

let us know what you decided :cool:

slodad

Sep 4, 2005
You mentioned that you watched him adjust the valves. Find out from him how much they have been adjusted so far. A lot of the smart guys say that after the 2nd adjustment it's time to start planning to replace them, and that's a $5-600 job. Some of the folks say that you can get by with twice that many adjustments.

Assuming that it has some valve life remaining and runs well, it looks like a super deal.

crazycarl7

Oct 14, 2007
Buy IT!!! A couple quick mods and that bike will be faaaasssstttt. granted a 450 will be fatser but who cares. It will be plenty fast. i have a 426 that is too fast. dangerous fast!!!! you will be just fine. Buy it

Top Bottom