MXDesa

Apr 9, 2007
Hey guys i just picked up a used 2005 KX 250F Four stroke from a friend of mine and im having a problem getting it to idle. No matter what position the idle knob is at , the engine will eventually start to sputter and die off. If i adjust the idle knob high, it will idle real high and eventually idle lower and lower until it dies unless i give it some throttle. Sometimes it kicks right over and sometimes takes 4 or 5 tries. Other wise once im riding, the bike responds fine and does not bog or surge. Im new to dirt bikes and carbs so take it easy on me... My questions are....

Is there a idle knob and a air screw OR just a idle knob??

Has anyone ever experienced this idle issue on a 2005?

Does anyone have any tips that can help me to get this thing to idle correctly??

Is there a write up or a guide to get a motor to idle right?

Thanks everyone and i really hope you guys can help me

Surfrider

Apr 9, 2007
The best thing i can tell u is to look up the model carb online and get a diagram, then take it off and give it a thorough cleaning. Problem sounds like it could be a clogged idle passageway or clogged/dirty pilot jet. If your not sure on the air screw setting, it is usually 1 1/2 turns out from fully seated. Good luck.

MXDesa

Apr 9, 2007
Surfrider said:
The best thing i can tell u is to look up the model carb online and get a diagram, then take it off and give it a thorough cleaning. Problem sounds like it could be a clogged idle passageway or clogged/dirty pilot jet. If your not sure on the air screw setting, it is usually 1 1/2 turns out from fully seated. Good luck.

Is there just one knob for fuel and air adjustment or is there a screw somewhere else that im not seeing??

MXDesa

Apr 9, 2007
Matt90GT said:
No. You have to remove the carb from the bike and clean it! Pilot jet is clogged for sure.

How difficult is that to do?? Im mechanically inclined, that wont be a problem, but how many areas are there to clean? such as jets and nozzles??

MXDesa

Apr 9, 2007
How long should a bike idle before it becomes too hot? I tried today... I left it with the choke open for about 30-45 seconds then closed it, and it ran and idled great for about another 30-45 before it decided to bog and die out. Is this normal?

Is it eventually dying out because it gets too hot from letting it idle for too long?

Top Bottom