2005 RM-Z oil leak, coolant leak?

hboe52

May 23, 2009
Well I bought a 05 RMZ250 the other day that needed a little work. (brake pads, shock seals, seat cover, a few bolts here and there)

The first bigger problem is that the cords that go from the ignition box i believe to the left cases was sticking out a little bit, Im pretty sure that is where some air is leaking because when I had the motor running, i felt air from around there. I took all the bolts out of the left case off(this is after problem number 3). I pulled it off a little bit, not all the way, the gear shifter was in the way, and couldnt get the cord thing to go back in all the way, i could probally get it in there with some more effort but i did spend about 10 mins on it.

The second is an oil leak from somewhere. I know it isnt the sprocket, oil is on the shock and top of the cases. When i first noticed it, it was dripping off one of the hoses to the ground, it looked milky like radiator fluid had mixed with it. Im not sure if the oil was running down the hose, and then overflow was falling after and mixing. Im not sure where it is leaking from but it may be the same spot as the air leak, there just seems like there is a lot of oil compared to how big the air hole is so im just not sure.

Now the 3rd one, I got out and rode it for mabey 5 mins max. When i got back, no oil on the ground leaking, but on the eyeglass into the gear box, it looked white, like just coolant was on top of the oil or somthing. I drained all of the oil and there wasnt any coolant in it(i didnt look reallly hard). So then i took the right cover off, it seemed to whipe of of the eyeglass like fog or somthing.

Im not an expert on working on bike but do know a little, but am stumped here.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Sounds like you have a water pump seal leaking water into your oil.

I would recommend buying a service manual and reading it through a couple of times. Then, come back and ask questions.

vette747

Sep 17, 2005
Ol'89r said:
Sounds like you have a water pump seal leaking water into your oil.

^^ x2. I agree. It append on my old RM. You could also check the water pump shaft to see if the seal lip made a groove on the shaft. But your bike is not that old. Shaft should be fine.

Problem #1. Could be normal if you feel air. When engine runs, the magneto (flywheel) turns and could create air turbulence.

Problem #2. You can clean the engine and all the oil. Then restart the engine. That will help you finger pointing where it is coming from.

I hope it will help.

Top Bottom