crazy_242

May 9, 2007
Alright, i read the post about the bearing behind the clutch basket being bad and all. So, my question is I know of an 05 yz for sale that quit while being rode so the top end was rebuilt and now it starts right up and runs great. However, there is a whinning dort of noise in the bottom end coming from the clutch side i feel. So, is this the bearing and race behind the clutch basket needing to be replaced or is this others bearings going bad because it is too late? Thanks

burgunder

Oct 3, 2006
The only way to know if the stomper lever was replaced is to look. Pull off the cover and look in the bottom right hand side. It is not something you could hear because it is not spining the hole time. If the stomper bearing goes bad, it will spill its bearings into the bottom end. The new stomper lever does not have bearings but rather a bushing (without balls.) I have a 05 125 and can hear a noise coming from the clutch side. With the engine running, pull in the cluch. Does it go away? I did a lot of research on this, because I heard it only after my to end was done. I was really paying attension and think that is why I never heard it before. From my research, if it is the same noise, it is normal. Have fun with the yz125, it is a great bike.

crazy_242

May 9, 2007
Hey thanks man, i know the lever has not been replaced i was just wondering what you might have thought about the whining noise in the bottom end. Im leaning i guess towards the fact that the stomper lever already went and the ball bearings ruined the crank bearings or something. Because it sounds kind of like a bearing rolling with sand in it or something along those lines. Like you said the bearing on that lever does not turn constantly so probably that isnt the noise.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Some whine is normal because of the cut of the gear teeth on the primary reduction gears between the crankshaft and clutch basket. It should be about the same on all bikes so if you have a chance, listen to another 2-stroke. The Yamahas do seem to be slightly louder, though. If you think something is wrong, don't be affraid to try to chase it down. Having bearing bits floating around in your engine can cost a lot of money.

burgunder

Oct 3, 2006
Pull the cover off and look at it. If the bearings themselves are gone, you have to worry about the tranny, not the main bearings. The ball bearings in the stomper lever are too big to get into main bearings but are hard enough to trash your entire tranny.

Top Bottom