trackbuild

Jan 14, 2006
Hey guys I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on this problem. My buddy races the A class on a 2005 yz250. He smoked the stock clutch very badly. An hour after he stopped riding the oil was still extremly hot. He put a new DP clutch in it fibers and steels but it started slipping in only a couple of rides. He always keeps his clutch lever with the proper play in it. The DP clutch kit was still in spec so we figured that the inner hub (clutch boss) and pressure plate were bad. He replaced the inner hub and pressure plate with ones made by hinson, we kept the stock clutch basket because it was in good shape very little ripple on basket tongs. The springs were replaced with heavy duty ones from DP. It still slipped and the clutch lever was adjusted all the way in and there was no free play. This is when I took a look at it. It appeared to me that the pressure plate was hitting the push rod end before it could ever sandwich the plates. We put the push rod in the lathe and took 50 thousands off. After every thing was installed it worked like new and it was easy to get the proper lever free play also. I'm wondering why this is though. The push rod and assembly were not the problem just an easy solution. Could the hinson stuff not be designed to work with the stock clutch basket??? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks Jeff.

stimps

Jun 25, 2003
Not sure on the Hinson Question but, I put a DP clutch in my YZ and found that it overheated and the lever used to come back to the bar if it was a real hard race. Wnet back to stock plates and can hammer the clutch like the poor rider I am and the free play never changes. IMO the stock clutch(Plates) was by far the best. Perhaps the Dp clutch is already dead and that why you could not get the freeplay. Could measure the total stack height and compare with a new set..

Top Bottom