bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
So I changed my top end this weekend after exactly 36.5 hours according to the hour meter. I feel I went approximetely 10 hours over when I should I changed it.There was significant blowby on the rings and a decent amount of carbon buildup on the top of the piston. The cylinder looked really good. Here are a couple of observations for YZ owners. Feel free to add if you would like.

1. You don't have to touch the radiators. How cool is that. Just disconnect the hose off the head. My CR250 both radiators had to come off.
2. The powervalve is complicated. Real complicated. I recommend if you don't have to, not to remove it. Spray contact cleaner on it. Clean it real good. Than wash in a bubble bath and use compressed air to blow it dry. I sprayed silicon lubricant on it when I was finished.
3.Very impressed with the o-ring head gaskets.
4. Couldn't torque down all the base bolts. Had to feel 30 lbs of torque on the front 2. Not that big of deal, but I like using a torque wrench.
5. The govenor power valve gasket took about 30 minues to put on. I was wondering why yamaha glued it on the gasket to the cover. To get the rubber thingy and gasket to all line up was a pain.
6. Carb was real clean inside and getting the carb back on was real easy. I left it hanging arounf the frame when woring on the bike. Compared to the honda this part was a pleasure. I always hated that about the CR was working on the carb.
7. This was the first time I used cometic gaskets in a while. They where real nice. The Honda ones stuck real bad. All the gaskets where steel that had a coating on top. Real nice.
8. I used a B piston in A cylinder. I bought the stiok yamaha piston kit and it comes with B piston. No big deal. I always try to use B piston in all my past bikes.
9. The cylinder came right off. no tapping the sides. On the Honda, the base gasket used to stick real bad. I hated that. I really like the idea of steel gaskets.
10.The bike in general was real easy to work on, suprisingly easier then the honda. i think this was in part of not having to take off the radiators or messing with the powervalve. If you have to work on the powervalve make sure you takw some pics. Its like rube goldberg device. i love how the sub exhuast ports open though. I think that is why the bike works so well.

I will change out the piston every 25 hours from now on. I feel like I pushed it a bit to long. I love the hour meter because it tell you exactly what you have on the bike.

Erik

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
post some pics of the piston. My RM has its 3rd piston in there already, after 30 odd hours, i went in there to do rings and the whole lot needed to be changed.

on the main powervalve, be careful since the collar the valve moves on can break for no apparent reason. i always take radiators off so i dont stick a wrench through them, LOL.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
I have been running 40:1 Amsoil Steve. Its was running like a champ still. It just shows you how good the bike is. I will take some pics of the piston for you Bruce tomorrow. The bike really was nice to work on though.

Erik

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Eric, sounds like 2 things on your significant carbon and blow-by.

The oil it self or the ratio is to lean. 32:1 is really optimal on the 250 2 smokes.

I always run 32:1 in the 250's and have about 30 hrs on the YZ and the piston looks like the day it was installed. Really that clean!

Maxima K-2 :cool:

adrenaline420

Feb 17, 2005
I"d like to see some pics too. Erik, does the bike seem to run faster with the fresh piston rings?,just want to know if any performance is lost from alot of hours.... im at about 50 hours or more on my YZ250. Im probly going to freshin up the piston/rings this winter.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
I'll get some pics tomorrow morning. I have no clue how the bike will run till later on this week, but I already can tell the bike has more compression thru the kick starter. I really feel I went to long on this piston.

The letter is stamped on the back of the cylinder towards the airboot/carb. An A cylinder is smallest and it goes up in size as the letters increase(A,B,C,D). A "B" piston is 1/100 mm larger than an A piston. You can purchase A thru D pistons from yamaha.

Erik

Gibby

Dec 8, 2004
Not saying you shouldn't replace your piston after 30 hours, But I raced this whole year with the same piston and was still winning and pulling holeshots. It was still clean as heck just lost some power lol. Put a new one in like two weeks ago now I can't hold the thing down. :)

Blue 250

Sep 5, 2005
I ran Castor 927 for about 25hrs and the topend was clean but the pipe was full of carbon. I now run Klotz R-50 at 32:1. I've heard good things about this oil. I know it still has some castor in it but its not as bad as Castor 927. By the way, great tips.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
steve125 said:
...The oil it self or the ratio is to lean. 32:1 is really optimal on the 250 2 smokes.

I always run 32:1 in the 250's and have about 30 hrs on the YZ and the piston looks like the day it was installed. Really that clean!

Maxima K-2 :cool:
Steve, I found you are right about K2 being very good. I happen to be the mechanic for quite a few riders here and it is so obvious the difference in wear. The best is the castor based but it is a bit dirty. In close second is the ester based oils. I won`t run anything else.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
NO HAND said:
Steve, I found you are right about K2 being very good. I happen to be the mechanic for quite a few riders here and it is so obvious the difference in wear. The best is the castor based but it is a bit dirty. In close second is the ester based oils. I won`t run anything else.

Theres no need to run a castor based oil as long as high ester based synthetics like the K-2 are available.

The type of blow by and carbon that Eric describes, just wont happen with an oil like the K-2.

I glad to hear it works for you!.... :cool:

pokemanyz

Jan 22, 2000
As an areospace machinist trained in geometric dimensioning & tolerancing I can assure you that it's not a very good idea to put a "B" piston in an "A" cylinder.

There's a reason these cylinders are marked with different letters. And there's a valid reason to pay attention to what piston you put in what cylinder.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
pokemanyz said:
As an areospace machinist trained in geometric dimensioning & tolerancing I can assure you that it's not a very good idea to put a "B" piston in an "A" cylinder.

There's a reason these cylinders are marked with different letters. And there's a valid reason to pay attention to what piston you put in what cylinder.

The only difference between an A piston and a D piston is .0005......YZ 250's are a bit on the loose side, so no problems with a D piston in an A cylinder.

The difference between an A and B piston is .00016 thats pretty close to nothing.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
hey guys, ive got 2 sets of rings for the stock YZ/RM pistons- i cant use them since ive switched to wiseco. if anyone wants them, make me a reasonable offer.

as for the oil topic, my pistons are always trashed- ive just switched to K2 so this will be the acid test.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Hey Steve. I have been running 40:1. I think I do run the bike hard, not pro hard but hard. The bike is definetly jetted crisp and I never have goop coming out of the silencer. The plug was dry. There was nice a coat of oil on the crank. I have been using Amsoil for the last year. Do you have any recomendations for me. When i pulled the piston I was surprised it was worn becuase the bike still pulled real good. Oh ya what do you think of the black spots under the piston, that was the first thing i noticed. No way have I been running lean with a 172 main at 6000 ft and the stock needle in the second clip. I also run a 48 pilot.

Erik

Erik

B

biglou

Wow. I'm running a 42 pilot at 900ft. Bruce-What were you running before, Rock Oil? Do the rings matter like the A-B-C-D piston/cylinder sizes or is it one size fits all?

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
biglou said:
Wow. I'm running a 42 pilot at 900ft. Bruce-What were you running before, Rock Oil? Do the rings matter like the A-B-C-D piston/cylinder sizes or is it one size fits all?

Lou, the std. rings fit all 4 pistons sizes.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
bedell99 said:
Hey Steve. I have been running 40:1. I think I do run the bike hard, not pro hard but hard. The bike is definetly jetted crisp and I never have goop coming out of the silencer. The plug was dry. There was nice a coat of oil on the crank. I have been using Amsoil for the last year. Do you have any recomendations for me. When i pulled the piston I was surprised it was worn becuase the bike still pulled real good. Oh ya what do you think of the black spots under the piston, that was the first thing i noticed. No way have I been running lean with a 172 main at 6000 ft and the stock needle in the second clip. I also run a 48 pilot.

Erik

Erik

Erik, try a different oil this time and at 32:1. Your jetting sounds fine to me.

The 2 that top my list are high ester based synthetics.

Maxima K-2
Redline 2 stroke racing

The best of the best IMO.

Top Bottom